what's this tree?

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I have always thought the tree below was an Ash (from a distance) but on closer inspection realised its not! Anyoneknow what it is? Sorry for poor photos, was getting dark and only have phone cam with me. cheers
unknowntree.jpg

The bark looks similar to Ash:
unknowntreebark.jpg

The foliage:
unknowntreefoliage.jpg

The leaf:
unknowntreeleaf.jpg

Last edited:

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
the leaves and the seeds certainly look the same as ash apart from the weird colouring. its probably either a different type of ash or it has some kind of disease.
thats my opinion anyway, lets see what the experts say.

TJ

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Good question! I was about to takes some photos of the same kind of tree. I thought it was Ash too, but i went over the book about trees and no references. For it to be ash, there should be from 5 to 15 leaves on on stick (find it hard to explain... lol ) but on mine, and as far as i can tell on this one, there is only 3 leaves. seeds do look alike Ash's, no major difference there.
It must be imported to East Europe from somewhere else. Looking forward to finding out what it is.

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
the leaves and the seeds certainly look the same as ash apart from the weird colouring. its probably either a different type of ash or it has some kind of disease.
thats my opinion anyway, lets see what the experts say.

TJ

couldn't agree more, curious though now and looking forward to someone clearing this up.

cheers

stuart

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
if it has those winged seeds (keys) it is definitely some type of ash.

im not too clued up with exotic ash trees, the only common(ish) one i can think of is Manna Ash Fraxinus ornus. iv only ever seen it a few times in parks and arboretums but it has less leaflets that common ash.

Pete

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Ailanthus altissima tree of heaven. very similar to Ash which the Norse world and its traditions that the Ash tree was regarded as the 'Tree of Life' whose limbs formed a link between the gods, mankind, and the dead.
Tree of Heaven/ tree of life very similar.

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
i've been looking up the tree of heaven online and i have to disagree with you, it just doesnt look right for a tree of heaven.
i'm still sticking with ash.

TJ

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Could this be Boxelder (Acer negundo) ? Main reason why: "3 to 5 leaflets (instead of 5 to 11) and the
samaras are always in pairs instead of single like the ash".

After looking closely I think samaras (is that the seeds?) is not in pairs in your example...

Last edited:

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
the leaves in the pic on your link are smooth edged whereas the leaves in the OPs pic are serrated and the ones in your link are a dark glossy green whereas the OPs leaves are light green ranging to red.

TJ

http://www.invasive.org/browse/detail.cfm?imgnum=1330079
these look similar, tbh its the last pic in this tread of the leaf, which tends to be the leaf on the end which is shapped differently to the rest that makes me think its not ash.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Could this be Boxelder (Acer negundo) ? Main reason why: "3 to 5 leaflets (instead of 5 to 11) and the
samaras are always in pairs instead of single like the ash".

After looking closely I think samaras (is that the seeds?) is not in pairs in your example...

Sorry, missed your post.

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
http://www.invasive.org/browse/detail.cfm?imgnum=1330079
these look similar, tbh its the last pic in this tread of the leaf, which tends to be the leaf on the end which is shapped differently to the rest that makes me think its not ash.

im also going by the second to last pic which although a little fuzzy shows enough detail. i still dont think its the tree of heaven, it just doesnt look right to me, but i may be wrong, thats just my opnion.

TJ

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE