Whats the fascination with hammocks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
When I go in my Hex and it rains, I get cheesed off with the lack of porch. Trying to get all your kit in and what not can be slightly irritating. Don't get me wrong, it's a great tent and mine is a keeper as I can't think of another tent that can be put up so easily by one guy without any poles and weighs less than a kilogramme, is green so blends in and is cool! When I hammock, I use a huge tarp in a similar way to Wayland. It gives you a massive area to work underneath and can become a meeting point. You get 360 degree viewing so no surprises from folk creeping up on you for a laugh! No drips from condensation. No hard divit in your back that you didn't feel when you got in and then wake up at 2 in the morning to find the boulder in your shoulder blades, you can sling the hammock low and use it as a good chair, it just has so many uses. It's more of a versatile camp. Weight wise, maybe an extra kilogramme if you are carrying a sleeping bag too, bulk wise I won't argue with you. An underblanket and sleeping bag does take up a fair bit of room. I prefer the tarp and hammock over the tent, tarp and ground dwelling comes between the two. So long as I'm outdoors though, I don't really care!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
When I go in my Hex and it rains, I get cheesed off with the lack of porch. Trying to get all your kit in and what not can be slightly irritating. Don't get me wrong, it's a great tent and mine is a keeper as I can't think of another tent that can be put up so easily by one guy without any poles and weighs less than a kilogramme, is green so blends in and is cool! When I hammock, I use a huge tarp in a similar way to Wayland. It gives you a massive area to work underneath and can become a meeting point. You get 360 degree viewing so no surprises from folk creeping up on you for a laugh! No drips from condensation. No hard divit in your back that you didn't feel when you got in and then wake up at 2 in the morning to find the boulder in your shoulder blades, you can sling the hammock low and use it as a good chair, it just has so many uses. It's more of a versatile camp. Weight wise, maybe an extra kilogramme if you are carrying a sleeping bag too, bulk wise I won't argue with you. An underblanket and sleeping bag does take up a fair bit of room. I prefer the tarp and hammock over the tent, tarp and ground dwelling comes between the two. So long as I'm outdoors though, I don't really care!

I always take a cheap tarp with me to use a a porch, lack of cooking space in rain is the only real downer for the Hex. My next tent must have a porch area of some sort, after much thought I'm not getting a big tipi, maybe Big Horn II as its big enough to house a stove or at least a table and chairs and I can set up a cooker indoors. Knee problems mean its car camping for me so pack weight is not a problem now :(

Adamm

Feb 27, 2005
Burderop, Wilts
I used a hammock for the first time at the Wilderness Gathering. A DD camping hammock for about £25 which was well worth it for an experiment. The hammock was hands down the most comfortable camping I have ever done in my life. The chill was kept of my back with a thermarest and I used my sleeping bag like a duvet. Slept like a baby.

The people that use hammocks aren't just being a bit 'hardcore' they're just in the know about how to get a good nights kip. This will be my first choice for sleeping outdoors from now on.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I still cant get away with them! :D
To be honest, it's probably down to the fact that I have had two spinal operations over the last 15 years and for good or bad, I simply can't get at all comfortable in a hammock.

nice to see the debate still tumbling along mind;)
best wishes
R.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE