Whats the fascination with hammocks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Have you tried putting your spare clothing under your knees to prop them up?
I sleep on my side in the hammock, so I never have straight legs. Make sure yous et it up with enough sag that you can sleep diagonally, without shoulder squeeze

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Tried my hammock this weekend, couldn't stand it, ended up cutting the straps at 3 in the morning (couldn't get my quick release knot's undone!!) and lying on the hammock on the floor.

Turns out because your legs are straight mine don't like it for more than about 20 mins (motorbike accidents haven't helped there!).

Going to try the double hammock in a week or so's time to see if that's any different, but suspect it won't be.

Hammock's will go on the classified's for sale if it's no good for me...

Don't write it off yet mate. The double hammock will make all the difference. You can roll from side to side easily in one of them provided you lie on a slight diagonal, then you can get your knees up no problem.

Eric

Wintrup

Forager
Nov 5, 2005
London
My interest in hammocks is purely for relaxation. Somewhere to read a good book in on a balmy summers evening. Tents offer the feel of being in a den and I can have all my nic-nacs set out around me in a way that I couldn't in a hammock. Also my Exped Down mat is very comfortable. Having said that I haven't tried the hammock for a whole nights kip and will do so soon to see what it's like.

Wintrup

Forager
Nov 5, 2005
London
here [/url]. These are almost the same as the ones on the group buys - except they are a tad longer.
Eric

Have you tried a single from the same place Eric or have you only ever tried the double. It's only I've seen singles exactly the same as the paradise for £15.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I've tried the singles and find them comfortable for lounging around in during the day, but too restrictive to sleep in with a sleeping bag. I also like the way the double wraps over you like a cocoon.

Eric

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Most people deflate the therm-a-rest somewhat and also have it in the sleeping bag or have the sleeping bag and the mat in a bivi bag.

I would just suggest playing around and seeing what works for ya.

rancid badger

gtex bivvy bag,thermarest, snugpak gonk bag-carefully chosen and prepared area- done! no worries about dreaming of flying then crashing to the ground!
okay I admit it- obviously lots of people like their hammocks, what about the issue s.a.s. hammock/stretcher? any good?
regards
Le Badgere Rancide

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
You may still be happier on theground, even in the best hammock in the world (no idea what that is)... some people are just happiest being ground dwellers.

I don't like any of the mil hammocks I've seen... they are well made but designed to keep the squaddie alert and ready at a moments notice... ie: uncomfortable :eek:

the group buy ones are highly rated though as loads of people here have them and no mutiny.

willie

Forager
Sep 25, 2004
aberdeen,scotland
www.google.com
gtex bivvy bag,thermarest, snugpak gonk bag-carefully chosen and prepared area- done! no worries about dreaming of flying then crashing to the ground!
okay I admit it- obviously lots of people like their hammocks, what about the issue s.a.s. hammock/stretcher? any good?
regards
Le Badgere Rancide

i borrowed my dads one once.... its just not wide enough..

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Insulation, I am playing with a suitably trimmed Large RidgeRest by Cascade Design. Most stores only have the standard size, but for a hammock you want the big one, then trim it to a coffin shape. It is bulky for packing, but it is very light, less twitchy than a Thermarest in that it bends to shape better and can still be used on the ground if you have no trees.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I have just spent the last 3 nights in my hammock 1st night I was unprepared for the cold I had only a light sheet under me as during the day it was quite warm 2nd night I put my 3season as a liner it was nice and snug but took a little getting used to turning I woke almost every time
3rd night I had a great nights sleep problely the best I have had in a long time

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
I've got a hammocky question...

I suffer from sciatica and I'm concerned that If I went to sleep in a hammock I'd not be able to get up in a morning.

Is this likely to be a problem or is it all about pitching?

I've got a hammock which I've not spent longer than 30 minutes loafing in so far. When I hung it there was a definite curve to it. Are flat hammocks more comfy?

Jay

Aug 18, 2008
Derry N.I
Id love to try out a hammock sometime. Ive never owned on because I have trouble sleep on my back and also because Im so used to sleeping on the ground with a thermarest,sleepingbag and bivi from a young age.

Although I can see reasons why people like to get off the ground from the damp,bugs etc but for me its nothing a bush made bed platform cant fix :)

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
I had a couple of chilly nights sleep when I first started sleeping out, but on the advice of others I found that I was actually wearing too many layers when I went to bed which was preventing me from warming the down bag around me which I slept in. Now I only sleep in my skiddies and a base layer - i have slept out in my hammock in all weather including snow and have not been cold once - gets a bit chilly if you need to getup and take a p*ss in the middle of winter though.

As well as my sleeping bag I line my hammock with a foil rescue blanket (I hold it in place with clothes pegs) which seems to reduce the effect of any air cooling around it - this summer I have not bothered with a thermarest just slept on top of the foil blanket in my summer weight bag. I can see how the design of the underblanket overcomes the problem of the reduced insulation given by a sleeping bag but with the bulk of having an underblanket and a quilt to pack in my opinion it takes away the whole point of a hammock and tarp as a lightweight sleeping system.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I use an underblanket and find that with a good woolen blanket, that is enough. Now that I've got the monster woolen Swannie coat from Eric, I reckon I could get away with a smaller blanket too!

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
If you pitch it fairly tight and lie slightly diagonally across it, your hammock should pull more-or-less flat, and you can lie in almost any position. You most definitely shouldn't be flat on your back down the centre-line, curved like a banana - not only is it very uncomfortable after more than 30 minutes or so, but if you do manage to sleep like that you're liable to wake up in a ball at the lowest point.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
As you may tell from my user name I like my hammock. I have the 2008 DD hammock with the 3Mx3M tarp, which I normally hang on the diagonal which gives me just on 4meters of cover. I use a CCF mat in the double bottom. I have also added wings to the top of the mat. This gives a "wall" on each side near my upperarms without boxing me in. I use a single quilt cover as iff it was a sleeping bag liner ( Cheap ) and then have the unzipped sleeping bag over me as if it was a quilt. So comfy, so warm.

I read somewhere about pegging a foil blanket to the outside underneath. I think I will add this when I return to Glyn y Mul this October

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I just don't get the attraction to be honest, hammock, tarp, quilts, underblankets etc seems a lot of messing about. Hex, thermarest, sleeping bag and thats me done for the night :) plus I would guess mine is a lighter camp setup? I know its quicker to pitch

I've still got a jungle hammock which is fine in the summer to use in the day, lay back, listen to radio four and read:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE