What's the deal with Spyderco?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
No idea why your acting like a pedantic child trying to pick an argument, i've not said anything to insult you or your opinions.

As i've clearly stated a couple of times now "Again it's really what each person wants"

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
No idea why your acting like a pedantic child trying to pick an argument, i've not said anything to insult you or your opinions.

As i've clearly stated a couple of times now "Again it's really what each person wants"
You replied to my post. In that reply you stated a number of things. Given it was a quoted reply I think it's a valid assumption they were aimed at me?

Name calling? Very mature.

sum1quiet

Jul 24, 2014
United Kingdom
I went ahead and bought that one on the BB forum, since it's a good £30-40 off retail, despite being brand new.

I know they aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I've heard more good than bad about them and, while it's not IMO "Tacticool," it still looks nice to use and isn't some enormous crocodile dundee piece either. I don't intend on carrying it every day, it's mainly for hiking / bushcraft-type activities.

Thanks for your opinions all. Special mention to Stew who pointed me in the direction of the one on BB :You_Rock_

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
I have had a good read through the thread and I can see that there are differences of opinion here. I would like it if we could accept these differences so as to keep this a family friendly thread.

I will keep the thread up as it is now.

Thanks for listening.

George

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I think the generally look of their knives put people of them. I have been very happy with the Spyderco knives I've used. I particularly like the blank 'mule' blades, they are very comfortable to use. They look lovely with a nice wooden handle and leather sheath, and perform very well.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Really ?!!! :)

I've had a good few spydercos of different types and they were all very well made. I sold them on one by one as I came to realise I was more of a traditionalist and liked other styles, but that is just me and not because the knives were lacking at all.

The only one I have still is the fixed blade bushcrafter which, annoying hole in the blade aside, is another very decent knife.

Just go for whatever appeals to you and makes you happy, they'll all cut stuff :)

Cheers, Paul

I did not say that they were rubbish, however in my opinion Victorinox are better engineered. Of course comparing an SAK and a single bladed slippy is a bit like comparing chalk with cheese, however all the blades and tools on an SAK open with a satisfying click and stay in place more firmly. Of course the spydercos do have a few gimmicks and have a choil that is supposed to prevent them closing on your fingers, which you do not see on other knives.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I like the idea of the Spyderco Mule Team

They make blades from loads of different steels (they get quite imaginative with some pretty exotic steels that we over here avoid because they are "Hard to sharpen") and let people make their own handles and sheaths.

Would be tempted by one of those in M4, just to see what its like. Have heard very good things about M2 plane irons made for Stanley planes being a huge amount* more wear resistant than 01 and A2 but the damn things are about impossible to get hold of now.
I have diamond hones so personally couldn't care less how hard something is to sharpen on someone's front doorstep slab/Arkansas stone.

*As in scientifically measured to be far more wear resistant, not just looked at by a bloke and deemed good cos he's spent a few quid on it.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
I did not say that they were rubbish, however in my opinion Victorinox are better engineered. Of course comparing an SAK and a single bladed slippy is a bit like comparing chalk with cheese, however all the blades and tools on an SAK open with a satisfying click and stay in place more firmly. Of course the spydercos do have a few gimmicks and have a choil that is supposed to prevent them closing on your fingers, which you do not see on other knives.

SAK's are a superb tool that have stood the test of time, but you cannot possibly draw a comparison to a Spyderco, they are 2 completely different animals.
Apart from the odd exotic SAK kicking about made with ZDP189 steel, they are all made from the same steel, it serves it's purpose in a pocket friendly package very well, and is easy to sharpen.
Real knife aficionados, users or collectors are wanting something a bit more, and Sal and Spyderco push the envelope when it comes to trying to bring better handle materials, and better steels to the masses, at a price of course, but people will pay for quality and high end materials and superb F&F.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sal and Spyderco push the envelope when it comes to trying to bring better handle materials, and better steels to the masses.

Not on a basic UKPK they don't. More than twice the price of a SAK for a dreadful handle they couldn't even be bothered to round the corners off, awkward blade and nothing special in edge retention. Any one of my SAKs was a better knife in almost every respect. Hated it so much I gave it away to someone on here - it would have been bad karma to sell something so poor.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Not on a basic UKPK they don't. More than twice the price of a SAK for a dreadful handle they couldn't even be bothered to round the corners off, awkward blade and nothing special in edge retention. Any one of my SAKs was a better knife in almost every respect. Hated it so much I gave it away to someone on here - it would have been bad karma to sell something so poor.

I totally agree with you Red, some of the FRN handled Spydies are awful, i was talking of the higher end ones with G10 scales and S30V type steels.
Spyderco tried to bring a more affordable UKPK to the market with the FRN scales, people are into the OHO thing, and want to carry a legal knife that doesn't look like the one that their Grandad used.
I am not Spyderco's No.1 fan by any means, i own a Para 1 and that is all, but to draw any comparison between any Spyderco and a SAK is ridiculous IMO :)

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com

You must have odd hands. (Or I do). The ukpk is really comfortable for me and is a benchmark that I measure other knives against.

Edge retention on my G10/ S30v model is great. The other is a budget frn one and isn't so good retention but was much cheaper!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You must have odd hands. (Or I do). The ukpk is really comfortable for me and is a benchmark that I measure other knives against.

Edge retention on my G10/ S30v model is great. The other is a budget frn one and isn't so good retention but was much cheaper!

It certainly was an frn one. But it was rubbish - and I do mean a truly dreadful little knife. When you think that it costs as much, if not more, than many pocket knives that are not only "okay" but actually "good", then I felt, with some justification, ripped off.

I don't hate the firm - as I said the Bill Moran featherlight is an excellent knife, but the folders - based on hands on hard use experience, no thanks - there are better made, better value, more comfortable, folders.

Last edited:

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
It certainly was an frn one. But it was rubbish - and I do mean a truly dreadful little knife. When you think that it costs as much, if not more, than many pocket knives that are not only "okay" but actually "good", then I felt, with some justification, ripped off.

Fair enough. Good job you moved it on then. :D

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I carry my titanium UKPK every day. I love it :beerchug: And the FRN version too. They get far more pocket time than my Sebenza's or any other knife. I like the Spydie hole opening device much better than any stud or knurled tab. It's just so easy to flick open.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE