What's the deal with Spyderco?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sum1quiet

Jul 24, 2014
United Kingdom
I'm just wondering, why are Spyderco knives not mentioned on this forum that much? I understand they're very good quality, albeit quite expensive.

I want to get an all purpose knife for bushcraft type stuff, as well as preparing food, etc. I know Mora come highly recommended, but I dunno I just quite like the Spyderco knives so just wanted to get the consensus on them and why they aren't discussed all that much here.

The one I have my eye on is this one: http://www.mindyourfingers.co.uk/P7322.html. Quite a short blade, so no chance of the blade wobbling and snapping and easy to control when carving, etc.

What are your thoughts?

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I don't think the slippies come anywhere close to Victorinox for quality, no experience of the fixed blades or lockers though.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They are okay. I detest them drilling pointless holes in fixed blades though - why weaken a blade for no good reason (however insignificant that weakening). I detest the UKPK - really uncomfortable to use. They make some nice knives - the featherlight Moran series are very good indeed.

They are...okay.....better than some, worse than others.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What BR said, and that hole and the predator type shape makes them look just too aggressively Tacticool for the British market when we have issues with carrying knives in the first place.
It was the only knife that I used in public that I had to hide away because of the way that boys looked at it.
"Is that a guid chib?", said one admiringly with the look of want and sticky fingers to him :rolleyes:

I have one of their bushcrafters though; and it's a very, very good knife indeed. I also have one of their tiny little keyring knives and it's incredibly useful. It's neat, discreet, keeps a really good edge and it's the beesknees for everything from twine to opening plastic packaging. It also doubles up as a pruning knife on occasion :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
My experience with them is so so. I quite like the ukpk, it slim and easy to use compared to a standard slip joint that sinks into your pocket like a padlock in a sock. But the steel on mine is crap. CTS bd1, total poop. Highly stainless, which is ideal for a pocket knife youre gona use but can't hold an edge for anything!

Other than that, the models I've seen range from looking terrible rediculous and only made to appeal to certain Americans and the others although usuable looking are just over priced.

Although I like the hole for a folder,its just a crummy idea to put it on fixed blades for obvious reasons.

When the pits folder got sponsored/incorporated into the spyderco field it ruined such a lovely design and made it look like tacky junk.

Such a shame.

Sayingthat, I use the spyderco double stuff double sided ceramic sharpener, and it is fantastic, but expensive!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Spydercos are great. By far my favourite brand. I have one on me all the time. Sure they're ugly. But they are well made and perform. Sal the CEO always listens to what we Brits want in a knife too and he makes them. The new Mike Read collaboration is superb and he's a member here too. In fact Spyderco have made a few knives in collaboration with members on here.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I think you should buy what YOU want and not worry about what others think.

Spyderco don't make a bad knife and if it fails they have some of the best after market help you could ever come across, so if you like the design and can afford to buy it i'd say go for it.

Being a fixed blade you'll only be carrying it when you have a reasonable reason, so i wouldn't be concerned in the slightest what some chav thinks about the design, to be honest i wouldn't want to use a knife in public in the UK any ways.

With regards to the design, you either love em or hate em, i was in the second group till i purchased one i now have 4 Spyderco's.
I'm still not a fan of the hole gimmick but the quality and ease of opening compared to a traditional type folder more than makes up for it.

You can find a knife that cuts for less, absolutely no doubt.
You'll struggle to find a knife that "feels" as well built for less money though, ihave some Sanrenmu's and they're ok knives, there is absolutely no comparison feel wise to my Spyderco's though.
The opening action, the knife edge retention, locking action and grip are way way way better on the spyderco's.

For some like me that makes the extra price worth paying, for others they don't care about feel and just want to cut things.

No right or wrong it's really just what you want.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I've used a few (other folks) and quite liked them, though wasn't keen on the blade cutouts on some. Only one I own is the little Bug: -
pi-1906-1b.jpg

shim.gif

[h=3]Spyderco C133 Bug[/h]
18+ only, age verified. [?]
[h=3]C133P[/h]
EAN:716104008919
Blade Type : Plain
Blade Steel : 3Cr
Handle Material : Stainless Steel
Weight : 0.4 oz (12 g)
Length Overall : 2 7/8" (73 mm)
Length Closed : Tend to

Tiny, easy to sharpen and great for opening things. Lives on a set of keys, though has lived in a first aid kit for a while. I do find some of their prices a bit exorbitant but to each their own. Tend to use an Opinel for an EDC these days. Great for general use and excels at food prep.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I don't think the slippies come anywhere close to Victorinox for quality, no experience of the fixed blades or lockers though.

Really ?!!! :)

I've had a good few spydercos of different types and they were all very well made. I sold them on one by one as I came to realise I was more of a traditionalist and liked other styles, but that is just me and not because the knives were lacking at all.

The only one I have still is the fixed blade bushcrafter which, annoying hole in the blade aside, is another very decent knife.

Just go for whatever appeals to you and makes you happy, they'll all cut stuff :)

Cheers, Paul

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
You'll struggle to find a knife that "feels" as well built for less money though, ihave some Sanrenmu's and they're ok knives, there is absolutely no comparison feel wise to my Spyderco's though.
The opening action, the knife edge retention, locking action and grip are way way way better on the spyderco's..

I would have to argue with that - I moved my spydie on but still have my san. No blade play, exceptionally sharp out the box. Neat little ball detent. Thumb flippable action. Great little knife and immense value for money.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Yep. :)

Same arguement as fixed blades though (which is what the OP is looking at) - you could spend £xxxx on a xxxxxx OR you could spend £10 on a Mora. ;)

I shoulda read the OP properly - even more confused as to why you'd pay for a hole in a fixed blade...

Anyhoo - I think the argument is a little different. The Mora uses lower cost handle materials. The Sanrenmu I got doesn't seem to have skimped at all in that regard.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I shoulda read the OP properly - even more confused as to why you'd pay for a hole in a fixed blade...

Anyhoo - I think the argument is a little different. The Mora uses lower cost handle materials. The Sanrenmu I got doesn't seem to have skimped at all in that regard.

I think the SRM uses a lower cost work force.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I think the SRM uses a lower cost work force.
that's capitalism for you...

the Equivalent then would be a Byrd
Spyderco designs and produces knives under the Byrd brand. These knives use high quality materials and are manufactured in China, allowing much lower prices while retaining most of Spyderco's quality.[SUP][41][/SUP] To differentiate the brands, Byrd knives have a "comet" shaped opening hole in the blade, rather than the trademark round hole found on Spyderco models.To date, Byrd knives have featured 8Cr13MoV as their blade steel except for the byrd Catbyrd titanium which uses 9Cr18Mo steel.[SUP][41][/SUP] Early Byrd knives were marked 440C, but tests found that the steel was something entirely different from American 440C. This steel was closer to AUS-8 than American 440C, and also went by the name 8Cr13MoV.[SUP][41][/SUP]
The first Byrd models, the Cara Cara, Meadowlark, Flight, Pelican, and Crossbill, initially featured stainless steel handles. This is likely because company owner Sal Glesser believes that "'basic stainless' is the best way to test a 'pattern design'. Function and ergonomics are easily determined without the 'influence' of material." Newer Byrds have featured aluminum, fiberglass reinforced nylon (FRN), and G10 handles.[SUP][41][/SUP]

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I would have to argue with that - I moved my spydie on but still have my san. No blade play, exceptionally sharp out the box. Neat little ball detent. Thumb flippable action. Great little knife and immense value for money.

You could spend 30 mins sharpening a butter knife and it'd cut, so judging a knife on how it cuts is only a small part of it's use.
How does it keep it's edge, how comfortable is it in hand when you hold it for the tasks you do, how grippy are the scales, are they too grippy to the point where you need gloves etc etc

These are all basic considerations when buying or reviewing a knife.

You also have to take into consideration that some folks want a knife to "feel" better quality wise.
The smoothness of the action, sound of the lock engaging, the feel of the scales even something as basic as the tension on the pocket clip.

If you blindfolded someone and handed them say a Enlan EL-04 (not Sanremu i know but it's the closest Chinese knife i had to me) and say a Native 5 they could tell you straight away which "feels" better.

As i say to some this matters and the pay the premium, to others they don't care.
So they certainly do the same job (i.e, cut stuff) but they are also not the same quality and feel wise.

Yep. :)

Same arguement as fixed blades though (which is what the OP is looking at) - you could spend £xxxx on a xxxxxx OR you could spend £10 on a Mora. ;)

Again it's really what each person wants, personally i want a knife i can rely on, if you gave me another Mora it'd go straight into the bin, after having them fail on me i have absolutely no confidence in them any more, if they came out with a full tang in a decent steel i might try one, but it'd still stay in my tool box, i wouldn't trust it as my only knife if i'm out.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
You could spend 30 mins sharpening a butter knife and it'd cut, so judging a knife on how it cuts is only a small part of it's use.
Indeed - but I never said I was did I?

How does it keep it's edge, how comfortable is it in hand when you hold it for the tasks you do, how grippy are the scales, are they too grippy to the point where you need gloves etc etc

These are all basic considerations when buying or reviewing a knife.
Jolly good job you're here to help me make my own decisions for me...

You also have to take into consideration that some folks want a knife to "feel" better quality wise.
The smoothness of the action, sound of the lock engaging, the feel of the scales even something as basic as the tension on the pocket clip.

Not in relation to my own opinion I don't. Besides it been proven if you can convince to someone to pay more for something they'll impart more value on it.

If you blindfolded someone and handed them say a Enlan EL-04 (not Sanremu i know but it's the closest Chinese knife i had to me) and say a Native 5 they could tell you straight away which "feels" better.

Best get the plaster ready- handing a blindfolded person a knife is a bit silly

As i say to some this matters and the pay the premium, to others they don't care.
So they certainly do the same job (i.e, cut stuff) but they are also not the same quality and feel wise.

Here we go - "In my opinion" my Sanrenmu was as good as my Spydie - I may have just go lucky with the Sanrenmu and unlucky with the Spydie - your mileage may vary. But given you saw neither of the knives you can't troll out that statement.

Again it's really what each person wants, personally i want a knife i can rely on, if you gave me another Mora it'd go straight into the bin, after having them fail on me i have absolutely no confidence in them any more, if they came out with a full tang in a decent steel i might try one, but it'd still stay in my tool box, i wouldn't trust it as my only knife if i'm out.

You really can't cope with someone having a different opinion. But here's mine. The sanrenmu I had was better than the spydie I had. I never claimed I was judging it purely on cutting ability (which they both excelled at)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE