Whats the cheapest GPS with OS mapping?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I will be looking at getting a GPS in the near future and would like one that uses OS maps. As I have no knowledge of GPS systems and Google has left me even more confused I thought I would ask here for your opinions. Don't really have a budget but would like one as cheap as possible really. Any advice or opinions would be great. :confused:

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
hope theres some ideas on this as i've been using my phone as dedicated gps units all seem way too expensive for the use i'd givve one!!

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
hope theres some ideas on this as i've been using my phone as dedicated gps units all seem way too expensive for the use i'd givve one!!

That's why I don't want to spend a fortune on one, it will probably only get used a few times a year, but would prefer to have a separate unit than use my phone.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I too am very interested in this chaps, I do no however the Etrex models get a very good write up for value for money, but not so sure that they do an OS version.

Cheers
Steve

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
cheap android phone and locus pro app, does OS maps via bing, can be downloaded for offline etc
has all the usual POI, tracking etc

you can get a very basic zte phone off amazon for £46

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
in fairness this is what im thinking-i have a motorola in a water resistant case-downloaded Alpinequest mapping and once you're used to it its pretty easy to use. if you turn the phone onto airplane mode the battery will last at least 10 hrs continuous use! when i upgrade in a month or 2 this will be my new "permanent" gps device for out and about :) seems a lot cheaper!! im just suprised there no generic hon kong rip offs on ebay as yet!!??

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I bought a SatMap a couple of years ago, great bit of kit. I've only got the northern half of the UK at 1:50k but it's all I really need. Used alongside a map and compass it works really well at confirming location when the weather comes in or the terrain starts to get tricky. They're hungry on batteries if you leave the tracking system running and navigate the maps on screen too much, but I used one set of AA lithiums on the TGO last year and used it everyday for 200 miles.
I've hardly used any of the features on it, I literally turn it on and wait for it to get a signal, confirm my position and then turn it off again. I still prefer a good old map and compass, I just like reading maps I think, but they're handy for a backup or for confirmation.

I not looked at the other alternatives sorry

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
SatMap is a great system - I've full GB coverage at 1:25k and it has a load of features, you can even import pdf & spreadsheet info. But its not "cheap".

If you have a smart phone try ViewRanger. It really is very good, i use it as much if not more than my SatMap - especially for quick looks. Only down side really is the relatively short battery life of phones when running GPS & Screen lit.

http://www.viewranger.com/en-gb

And none work underground

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I recently downloaded Viewranger to my iphone, and I bought the whole of east england map for £7.
It looks good, the online software is pretty easy for creating routes etc.

But with my iphone having a rubbish battery at the best of times I too would like a proper stand alone unit.

Cheers
Steve

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Maverick is another excellent android app that tiles OS 1:25 and 1:50 via bing maps for free. Can cache offline too, but sadly doesn't seem to work with my new sony xperia....

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Maverick is another excellent android app that tiles OS 1:25 and 1:50 via bing maps for free. Can cache offline too, but sadly doesn't seem to work with my new sony xperia....

I've got Maverick Pro and it's top notch, but I've yet to use it for very long as like all apps it tends to kill phones in 2-3 hrs.

I've just gotten my first (mapping GPS), a Garmin Etrex 30 and I'm very impressed. You can download customisable maps (free) such as (owned) OS maps etc.

nigelbam

Apr 16, 2012
United Kingdom
I own a satmap, £170 second hand off ebay and I love it - really useful backup to map and compass. The downside is the maps as they are pretty pricey. The Garmin offerings which have OS mapping (62 series, Oregon and one or two others) are all in the same price range as the satmap but have the added bonus that you can download open mapping onto them. I think I'm right in saying that the Garmins mentioned are fully waterproof too whereas the satmap is only IPX6.

That said, Satmap is a British company and I'd rather support them than give money to Garmin. If you buy a beat up second hand one the company do an overhaul for around £40 where they change the casing and stuff plus install the latest software onto it.

if you go the mobile phone route you could always get an external battery for recharging it out in the field. Some of the 5000Mah ones should give you a couple of charges (but that's extra weight to carry and the cheaper ones are maybe not as durable as you would like).

Nigel

bearbait

The Garmin offerings which have OS mapping (62 series, Oregon and one or two others) are all in the same price range as the satmap but have the added bonus that you can download open mapping onto them. Nigel

The open mapping, e.g. Free maps for Garmin brand GPS devices from OpenStreetMap, is also available with worldwide coverage (at varying degrees of detail it must be said) and much of it is updated regularly. These maps are routable so you can use them on your Garmin in the car to get around. On the Garmin 62 series (and others) you can also overlay images, or custom maps, onto the underlying mapping.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE