What's the big deal about milbro catapults?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
I'm trying to figure out what's so great about the old school catapult styles that seem to be really popular at the moment.

There's a guy on youtube who's brilliantly accurate with them, but I'm thinking to myself - what makes them better than say a Barnett Black Widow? They obviously lack an arm brace which I would have thought would be a distinct comfort and accuracy disadvantage. I see that they're collectable and fanciable items too, which maybe makes the situation more bias.

I loved slingshots/catapults all the way through my teenage years, but remember setting them down and forgetting them after trouble errupted with my parents. I'm tempted to go ahead and make one or buy one cheap secondhand, but I'm not won over yet. Perhaps it's just a question of try to see if you like it, but I wondered what other forum members had to say about them.

Thanks,

V.

As a recent convert to catapult hunting (great for roosting birds when the light levels get too low for the air rifle's scope - although you have to get very close - which is part of the fun.) I don't rate the milbro style (with traditional square elastic) at all. At the same time, I don' t rate the likes of the black widow either - not enough power in the tubes.

The commonly held view in the catty world is that Theraband elastic (especially the gold version) is the best to shoot with, and, in my limited experience I would agree.

The premium maker of milbro style cattys is, in the UK Hogan Castings:

http://milbroproshotuk.com/

He also does other styles which better suit band elastic, as opposed to tubes or the square type - he's also a great guy to deal with.

If you're in the market for a catapult, then make sure you measure your hand size. Some catapults do not require a wrist brace - the grip allows you to insert your pinky or ring finger of the holding hand into the handle, which completely alleviates stress on the wrist, no matter how hard the draw.

My current shooter is a Dankung Black Fox (google Dankung - a chinese maker of steel cattys) - it's tiny - but allows tubes or bands and has the all important pinky hole.

Further (wealth of) information:

http://slingshotforum.com/

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
True that, Barnett has never really been my cup of tea. I was using Marksman slingshots back in the day which although I found comfortable and accurate, I didn't think they were powerful enough. Alot of the modern styles are very bulky and feel flimsy too.

I don't think I could justify £30+ on a cast brass slingshot like a Milbro, but the Chinese alternatives do seem reasonable.

I'm really filled with alot of nostalgia myself. Shooting catapults/slingshots is really a great instinctive form of shooting.

Jun 9, 2011
suffolk
Well they're nice and compact - I used to wear mine like a pendant in the 60's - so it's always handy, but the fork is a bit narrow and the design is a type that lets the rubber recoil in to the back of the prod , which is neither efficient nor accurate. if you use the thumb locator , you could very easily dislocate your thumb. Designs that incorporate a flat band that goes OVER the top of the prod when released are inherently more predictable and therefore accurate.
Barnett has sent me some of their catapults to evaluate as I had issue with replacement bands, the pouches being too stiff, and this by far is the most important contribution to accuracy. When I have a go to win a catapult at the outdoor shows, I choose the oldest catty with the tattiest pouch (nine tenths worn out) .... I've had quite a few free catapults!

norca

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2012
leeds
milbro have a new cat with arm brace takes flats and bands if ya ask its called the trident
greenarrow the comp to go for is at the richmond in sheffield
The UKCA championships will be held 6th April 2013 @The Richmond Arms ,Richmond ,Sheffield

Full Address
443 Richmond Road
Richmond
Sheffield
S13 8LU

if you wish to compete you must be reigstered on the UK Catapult Association site

S

saurian

Low forks mean that that there is less leverage on the hand when drawing stronger bands, but there is no correlation between the draw weight and the speed at which the ammo is released. In short: the longer the draw the more distance the bands have to accelerate so the faster the ammo; wider / thicker bands allow for larger ammo not greater speed of the same ammo. Larger ammo = more power. IMO theraband gold flat bands are the best for catapults but there are plenty that would argue in favour of latex tubes. again IMO a catapult with wide, low forks designed to be gripped with the thumb and forefinger on the forks makes for the most accurate, stable frame and are capable of being used with the strongest bands you would need for hunting. and again IMO the best material is polymer, it is warm to the touch, virtually indestructible, never needs varnish or oil and is light weight. One I make

Last edited by a moderator:

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
My dad has used a Milbro for as long as I can remember for keeping cats and heron away from his koi pond. Now before any animal lovers start, he aims to MISS. He is great with it because he has never hit anything, sounds mad that. He swears by the milbro but the thumb prod kills my thumb if I try and use it. And for that, I'm a fanny :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE