What's the best way to post a knife ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I should maybe ask this on BB, lot's of crossovers though.

I have to send my, finished by the man himself and his mark's upon it :cool:, C.H.Claycomb Spyderco BcUK Bushcrafter knife, to Leon_1 who is going to make me a sheath for it.
I love Leon's work :D, he made and sheathed a WM1 for me and it's superb :approve:

What's the best way to send the knife to him to make sure that it gets there safely ?

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks folks :D
What sort of weight limit is there ? I have other stuff that should go to him, and it'd be easier if it were all one package.

cheers,
M

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Thanks folks :D
What sort of weight limit is there ? I have other stuff that should go to him, and it'd be easier if it were all one package.

cheers,
M

You'd be hard pushed to meet the weight limit they have, unless you are posting 20 kinves plus.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I post everything now (regardless of value) with recorded delivery, you might want to check the claim back value though should it go AWOL.

For sending any knives I wrap them up in cardboard and then flatten the ends and tape up, makes it bit less suspect and interesting to mr postie.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mind the Helle polar of mine that delaminated ? I sent it to someone on the forum and he never got it :sigh: Made me kind of wary of sending one I value.

Thanks for the help folks :D

cheers,
M

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I have used knife tubes like these

CSWAB2243.gif

http://www.copshopuk.com/acatalog/Metal_Ended_Weapons_Tube_45mm_Diameter.html

Wings

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Mary ,if you do send it with any form of Royal Mail service ( i'd recommend Special delivery) Make sure you have a receipt for the knife from the person you bought it from.If it does go missing and you have to claim they will ask for a copy of the receipt and will not pay out without proof of this.They charge you for the insurance to cover it but don't like to pay out.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh good point :)

What happens about something that has increased in value since purchase though? I'm not suggesting that mine has, but many do.

cheers,
M

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
They will only pay out on the price on the receipt,make sure you have a receipt for the actual value for the knife when you send it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Will do :approve:

Isn't it sad ? Fully insured, guaranteed post and we're preparing a just in case :(

I've got one of those plastic screw together tubes and I'll pack the rest of the stuff around it. I'll bubble wrap the knife before I pack it into the tube too.

cheers,
M

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
don't tell the post office whats in the tube !....many counter staff think it is illegal to send knives through the post and will refuse to take it. ( bitter experience i'm afraid ) i always say its camping equipment ( which is true i 'spose )

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I had exactly the same problem, but that was to Saudi Arabia! And next to a Police station! Now I get funny looks every time I send anything at all. Cracks me up. Been ebaying loads and still they look at me funny.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm always utterly amazed when I encounter people who think this, yet there's no shortage of them.

Ditto. I have encountered this perception on numerous occasion.

When I have to send my knives to sheath-makers, I always insure it for £2500. That way if they do lose it, I can get another four made with a bit left over for a bottle of Ardbeg.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE