What's the best pocket /keyring torch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Personally been carrying a Lumintop Tool AA since Jan, it's about same size as a Victorinox Farmer, so pocketable not keychain. Also notice now selling the full kit on Amazon UK, with two tails, tail switch & magnetic together with a micro USB rechargeable lion 14500.

Sofirn C01s are still $7/piece plus shipping at https://sofirnlight.com/c01s-aaa-flashlight-sst20-4000k-white-led-starts-on-low-p0036.html
Simple two mode (3lm & 100lm) AAA twisty in a handful of anodised colours.
Those Sofirn are a bargain

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've got an o-light i1R2 in my pocket basically all the time. Not the brightest torch out there but bright enough.
Best bit is it's tiny, thus is not even noticable to carry, and recharges from a standard USB cable.
Exactly this! I always carry mine, because I don't know its there. I gave far better torches that aren't there when I need a torch unexpectedly

Reactions: Grebby

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Fenix E03R. Has white and red light.

910866_Fenix_E03R_minilamppu_02-640x640.jpg

Reactions: Billy-o and Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Got to disagree on that one. I find anything clicky is useless in my pocket. Inevitably gets turned on and is flat when I need it.

Its like strobes. Has anyone ever needed a flasher on their torch? Anyone at all?

No, never found a use for strobe. I suppose if I was walking or on a bike at night I might use it. I don’t mind the torch having the option as long as it’s a hidden mode and doesn’t have to be cycled through and can’t be accidentally activated.

Regards clicky/twisty there’ll always be discussion. The Thrunite Tool is good as it operates as both. A half turn on the twisty bit locks the light out completely if the tailcap is also clicked to off. Also, the clicky button is properly clicky, quite noisy and resistant. Best of both worlds.

I’m pickling shallots tomorrow, your recipe forced me to think again about proper pickled onions versus soggy supermarket over blanched things. :)

Reactions: British Red

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
As an aside, but in line with your original question, if you sign up to the Olight email list they often give away the i3E torches for price of postage (£4.95). I’ve given loads as gifts and secret Santa presents. A good little light for a fiver.

Reactions: Mark Baigent

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Fenix E03R. Has white and red light.

910866_Fenix_E03R_minilamppu_02-640x640.jpg
Didn't know that ... I have a red fauxton on my keyring which I found I use rather more than I thought I would. I have been thinking about a red/white torch option since I found myself looking at a bunch of Energiser headlamps in Canadian Tire afew weeks back.

Last edited:

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
This little olight fella lives on my keys. Got it as a freebie on a giveaway a few months ago. It replaced a years old maglite solitaire. Far outperforms it's size with it's 2 brightness settings.

And it unscrews to reveal a micro USB charging port.

b2dc5654ec671a467b12267d1f37a39c.jpg
6ab4665967d16d82cbf8336fd7e79e37.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
No, never found a use for strobe. I suppose if I was walking or on a bike at night I might use it. I don’t mind the torch having the option as long as it’s a hidden mode and doesn’t have to be cycled through and can’t be accidentally activated.

Regards clicky/twisty there’ll always be discussion. The Thrunite Tool is good as it operates as both. A half turn on the twisty bit locks the light out completely if the tailcap is also clicked to off. Also, the clicky button is properly clicky, quite noisy and resistant. Best of both worlds.

I’m pickling shallots tomorrow, your recipe forced me to think again about proper pickled onions versus soggy supermarket over blanched things. :)
I guess the twist/button decision is based on your own needs. I personally don’t like multiple options and strobe on a torch preferring a simple on or off. Having to cycle through is an annoyance for me.
My solitaire is good for this, on/off and enough light to find a lead behind a desk/lock the shed without blinding me.
I am looking for a small powerful light for “finding the lost sheep” type tasks though

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
As an aside, but in line with your original question, if you sign up to the Olight email list they often give away the i3E torches for price of postage (£4.95). I’ve given loads as gifts and secret Santa presents. A good little light for a fiver.

I've had one of the i3Es and they are good but have suffered from unscrewing and leaving the head somewhere else. I've recently had the i1R2 in the same way of a postage only promo and it's much better for keyring use because you can't lose bits.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
This little olight fella lives on my keys. Got it as a freebie on a giveaway a few months ago. It replaced a years old maglite solitaire. Far outperforms it's size with it's 2 brightness settings.

And it unscrews to reveal a micro USB charging port.

b2dc5654ec671a467b12267d1f37a39c.jpg
6ab4665967d16d82cbf8336fd7e79e37.jpg

I got the same one, but I’ve never used it. As soon as Madam saw it she said “Oh that’s a nice colour” and fixed it on her keys. :D

Reactions: Aljotartan

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
I got the same one, but I’ve never used it. As soon as Madam saw it she said “Oh that’s a nice colour” and fixed it on her keys. :D
Haha yeah I got the exact same comment when my missus saw it too

I think it was just your luck which colour they sent you out of 3 colours...red, black or this mint green colour......I was hoping for the black one

ATB

Allan

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Yeah I got this one also. It's attached on to the main cinch cord of my bergen...handy for rooting around inside the bergen in the dark, and adds almost no weight to the bag.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

There are worse vices than a crisp crunchy onion. I'm eating a lot of pickled cucumbers this year. Finally perfected the recipe!

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
my bugbear with ‘twisty’ pocket torches are the ones that you have to leave partially unscrewed to be in the off state and to turn it on you need to screw it shut! What a stupid design as it always unscrews by itself in your pocket. The ONLY way is when fully screed home it is off and you slightly unscrew to turn it on ;)

Hugh, do these torches just rotate round and round to the various modes or are they screw in types and of screw type are they the right way?

Reactions: British Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE