What's the best pocket /keyring torch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks so much - that's really kind of you! We are still learning our craft on video making, there's so much to know!

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I have had a Klarus MiX6 in my pocket for years and years now. Every now and then I try to find a replacement for it .. no other reason than change for change's sake ... but I always end up going back to it and passing on the replacement to someone. Mine's Ti and 100 lumens ... and you can't get them anymore. If I could, I would get another.

Last edited:
Reactions: British Red

fenix

Forager
Jul 8, 2008
Kent
Great video, I have the i1R2 on my keyring. My previous keyring torch unwound somewhere so all that was left was the battery holder. If I intend to be out late I take a bigger torch, Olight warrior or a baton, but a keychain torch is handy for accidentally staying in the pub until it closes.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Great video, I have the i1R2 on my keyring. My previous keyring torch unwound somewhere so all that was left was the battery holder. If I intend to be out late I take a bigger torch, Olight warrior or a baton, but a keychain torch is handy for accidentally staying in the pub until it closes.

Twisties can do this unless the o rings are tight, I lost one too. Clicky switches are better for key ring lights. I’m a fan of the Lumintop Tool AAA in copper. Discontinued on the site, but widely available still.

Perhaps my best all rounder is a Rovyron Aurora glow in the dark thing. Tiny, 3 levels and strobe, beacon mode leds set in the side, and a UV led to charge the glow in the dark casing. And USB charging. It seems to have either been copied or licensed to Nitecore and called the Tiki.

Which, you’ll have to admit, is very like the Rovyron

0B43F5EF-9630-4337-835A-97C89CBD2329.jpeg

I’ve also got a little Olight Mini Baton, amongst my other too many lights. Its really handy, magnetic charging CR123A battery for pocketing if walking back from the pub is a possibility, but I wouldn’t carry it everyday on a key ring.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Personally been carrying a Lumintop Tool AA since Jan, it's about same size as a Victorinox Farmer, so pocketable not keychain. Also notice now selling the full kit on Amazon UK, with two tails, tail switch & magnetic together with a micro USB rechargeable lion 14500.

Sofirn C01s are still $7/piece plus shipping at https://sofirnlight.com/c01s-aaa-flashlight-sst20-4000k-white-led-starts-on-low-p0036.html
Simple two mode (3lm & 100lm) AAA twisty in a handful of anodised colours.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Personal carry favorite is a generic Cree-Q5. Little bit chunky for a keyring but nice fit for pocket & utility pouches. Impressively bright for its size, good room illumination on wide beam. Tight beam more than adequate to scare some scroat who thought they were hidden in the bushes at 30 meters. Takes a single AA battery and while performance is good with an alkaline battery when fitted with a 14500 Lithium rechargeable it really smokes. Full power run time upwards of five hours and doubles as a handwarmer after about ten minutes use.
q5.jpeg
Note: beware of the some vendors flogging imitations
it should have three modes - full power, half power and strobe activated by a half press of the power button

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
I've got an o-light i1R2 in my pocket basically all the time. Not the brightest torch out there but bright enough.
Best bit is it's tiny, thus is not even noticable to carry, and recharges from a standard USB cable.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well that's my Christmas present sorted!
You used exactly the criteria I needed. I'll use it in the dark evenings to pull the Early Nantes carrots I've sown every year since you recommend ed them to me.
You have no idea how happy that makes me . I had Nantes carrots yesterday with roast pork from the most amazing high welfare, rare breed pig farm (cheaper than supermarket pork too!).

Reactions: oldtimer

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That's a "happy accident"

Reactions: Mowmow

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Twisties can do this unless the o rings are tight, I lost one too. Clicky switches are better for key rings
Got to disagree on that one. I find anything clicky is useless in my pocket. Inevitably gets turned on and is flat when I need it.

Its like strobes. Has anyone ever needed a flasher on their torch? Anyone at all?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE