What's the best bushcraft knife for a beginner? Any advice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 7, 2013
Manchester, UK
Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to the world of bushcraft but very keen to continue learning and progress. As I am building my basic kit one of the biggest questions is what bushcraft knife should I buy and how much should I spend? I have seen some beautiful handmade knifes such as the "Recurve bushcraft knife" by Bernie Garland, the "Woodlander & Trapper" by Ben Orford, the "Timberwolf" by Gary, Spiderco, etc but they are all in the £200 plus range. I then came across the other presumably lesser knives like the Condor Bushlore at £30-£50. As much as I like the former knives I cannot help but wonder whether they are that much better than the Condor especially for my level. On the other hand I am thinking why not buy "the best" from the beginning? Has anyone else been through the same thought process? How did you approach it? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Artzi

Oct 31, 2010
Finland
Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to the world of bushcraft but very keen to continue learning and progress. As I am building my basic kit one of the biggest questions is what bushcraft knife should I buy and how much should I spend? I have seen some beautiful handmade knifes such as the "Recurve bushcraft knife" by Bernie Garland, the "Woodlander & Trapper" by Ben Orford, the "Timberwolf" by Gary, Spiderco, etc but they are all in the £200 plus range. I then came across the other presumably lesser knives like the Condor Bushlore at £30-£50. As much as I like the former knives I cannot help but wonder whether they are that much better than the Condor especially for my level. On the other hand I am thinking why not buy "the best" from the beginning? Has anyone else been through the same thought process? How did you approach it? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hello Kitsis! :)

Here is few ideas to think of:

- Bigger is not better, go for shorter blades, much easier to work with!
- Go to shop and try different handles, it is important that it fits your hand!
- When you are still looking for your dream knife, don't spend all your money for it now, for example Mora knifes are cheap and excellent for beginners to start with!
- If wanna be pro try to look scandinavian style knifes and especially finnish Puukko's! :D
- One day you will make your own anyway!

Hope this helps! :cool:

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Buy a Mora Robust for £15 or less. If you don't like it you've only lost £15.

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Mora for you first knife they are cheap and do the job just fine ,use that until you know exactly what you like in a knife, it will save you a lot of money in the long run

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
My first real 'bushcraft' knife was also a mora, mine was a 746 G. Great knife for the price, and it's seen a lot of use.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
You really can't get better than a Mora Clipper or Mora Robust as a first knife. I have the Condor Bushlore, and it is quite good for £30 but requires some sharpening to get it up to standard.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
There's no such thing as 'the best knife'. It's like saying 'the best saucepan'.

I have some fairly expensive French cast iron saucepans, but I don't usually take them camping because they weigh several kilos each. :)

You really only need something sharp that you can

(a) afford
(b) afford to lose in a ditch full of stagnant water
(c) maintain, either at home or 'in the field'
(d) use with comfort to do
(e) whatever jobs you need to do.

Most of that is personal to you. So it's really not much good asking us because we don't know, although I'd suggest that if you're new to cutting tools, anything with a recurve might present you with maintenance issues.

For what it's worth, although I have enough money to buy whatever I want, most of the time I use little more than a Victorinox or Leatherman multi-tool and a modest folder like the EKA Super Swede (now renamed Swede 92):

http://perkelesblog.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/common-mans-budget-kniveeka-super-swede.html
http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/...lock-back-with-a-choice-of-handles-3960-p.asp

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Buy a Mora Robust for £15 or less. If you don't like it you've only lost £15.

+ 1

A Mora plus a Bahco Laplander will cover you for almost any task you can think of and the pair together can be delivered to your door for around £35.00. If you think you are going to be doing a lot of wood splitting and chopping then spend another £25.00 on a Morris Billhook. For the price of a fairly basic full tang Buschraft knife you will find these three can cover any jobs you are required to do much easily than any £200 knife.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
I was pointed in the direction of the mora clipper when I first joined bcuk, I got one for around £10 from amazon. It has been with me ever since I use it a lot more than the more expensive knives I have. I learned to sharpen properly on it as well without having to worry about ruining it.

Like Ged said it is a personal thing but for a tenner you cant go wrong and it will give you an idea of what you like/dislike in a knife and you can then look for something more specific.

All the best

Craig

Mora, as a first knife it will not dissapoint. I've seen people spend hundreds on knives and they simply wont use them.

If you get a Mora you wont worry when you're battoning it through a tough knot in wood, or worry about blunting it on bone, or worry about the wood handle getting stained with icky stuff when gutting things. You wont break into a sweat when you need to resharpen it worrying about getting the right angles and bevells.

After you've used it for a while you'll get an idea of what you want in a knife, but, here's a word to the wise, it is very easy to buy one, then another, and another. Very soon you'll have a collection, you may even go the route of making your own knife.

I started off with a knife that my father bought for me. over 30 years later I use a knife I made myself. My son has a knife I made for him, but he will undoubtably choose one himself as he he travels along the bushy way.

Of course that hasn't stopped me having a khukuri as a bushcraft knife as well :)

Oh, and buy a first aid kit at the same time as the knife, you'll probably need it at some point :)

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Mora, carbon steel or, simply, Mora fireknife (a compact solution for firesteel and knife). Another very popular and affordable option is Opinel, carbon steel.
I suggest a cheap and easy to mantain/hard to destroy knife. Make experience before affording an important expense.

Here is few ideas to think of:

- Bigger is not better, go for shorter blades, much easier to work with!
- Go to shop and try different handles, it is important that it fits your hand!
- When you are still looking for your dream knife, don't spend all your money for it now, for example Mora knifes are cheap and excellent for beginners to start with!
- If wanna be pro try to look scandinavian style knifes and especially finnish Puukko's! :D
- One day you will make your own anyway!

Great advice. The same somebody gave me some years ago. Since then a Karesuando, a Mora and another finnish handmade puukko were hanged on my belt and also Victorinox. And I love them all

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I have a Mora companion. It's a tough little knife.

I'd start with a Mora or hultafors, until you can look after it (sharpen, oil, remove dings etc) then when you've sorted that, then maybe look at something better, or even get one made from a maker from this parish, hillbill and others make some cracking stuff.

touched by nature

Jan 20, 2013
Wales
I'm new to the forum too - hi all. Been fishing and hunting all the 40 years of my life. Personally have chosen a SOG Seal Pup, beautiful blade, holds well in the hand and should take loads of abuse. Looking for an Estwing axe now :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE