What's the best bushcraft knife for a beginner? Any advice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
Go with the Mora to begin with. Go to some shows meet people hold their knives talk to them see what you like then spend the money on something that makes you feel good and suits you personality and budget. You might even deside the mora is the one for you. Good luck.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Although I've been bushcrafting, travelling and camping for over 60 years, it wasn't until I started looking at this site and read all the recommendations of Mora that the folks on this site made that I bought one. They were right. It's the best knife for the job and probably the most versatile I have ever owned. Listen to these people, they know what they are talking about.

rg598

Native
I still use a Mora #2. Get out of this "building bushcraft kit" mentality. Get some gear (sleeping bag, tarp, pot, water filter), and get out into the woods. No amount of gear will be a substitute for this. The knife you have really doesn't matter.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I can only agree, I have owned a few knives since I had my frist knife given to me as a present 40 or so years ago, I brought a clipper after losing/misplacing my knife, and hearing so much about them and thougth I would give one a go... great little knives, if you want a worker, anything else is just taste as far as I am concerned now,

Sar-ian

Jun 7, 2012
Standish, nr Wigan
I'm another MORA knife user, probably the best value for money knife in the world. I've had a few now, and got a Woodlore/Ray Mears, Mora 30th anniversary limited edition for christmas (still cheap). I also have a Svord peasant type folder and between the two can do all the tasks needed. For me, the most important thing in a knife is that it's comfortable to use, and sharp.... (Just a word of warning though, remember carrying almost any knife in public is an offence. I carry mine in a locked cashbox in my bag.) So really, my advice is simple, buy a knife that is the best fit to your hand...

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I do not want to pay more than £3 for a knife, Hultafors knife that is then. They're made of 58–60 HRC carbon steel.

Last edited:

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Mora Clipper. Can get them for not much more than a tenner, they fit just about everyone's hand and if you knacker the blade while learning to sharpen it you've lost £10-15. I have a Helle Temagami, but had I known how good the Clippers actually are (because they looks like toy knives for kids to me at the beginning) I would have bought one of those and probably never "upgraded'.

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
Hi, Mora's are ok, but check out Bear Grylls range of knives. They come with a booklet telling you how to do bushcraft type stuff too :) I think there's a review somewhere on here too, by one of the more experienced folks, gives it a thumbs up if i remember right. Good luck in your quest. I think there are some video review on youtube and NaturalBushcraft.co.uk of knives too. hope this helps :)

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Mora Clipper has been replaced by the Companion. About £13 delivered on amazon. Hultafors is between £6-£8 delivered on amazon. Both include a sheath. Mora comes hair shavingmsharp out of the box.. Very sturdy and robust knife - highly recommended.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I'd encourage a first time bushcraft knife buyer to go for the Hultafors Heavy Duty Knife or a carbon Mora.
I've got a Condor Bushlore (new model), and I think it's a great knife. It took a bit of effort to get it sharp, as mine didn't come very well finished, but once there, it holds its edge well, and is a very solid knife.

Will Bowden

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2009
Exmoor
www.MuddyRedLandRover.co.uk
I take three knives out with me if theres the likelyhood I'll be needing a fire.

Swisscard - Xmas present I dismissed but find I use several times a day.
Mora - for general use, feathersticks etc
British Army Jungle Knife - bought in dreadful condition secondhand for £25, lots of grinding and sharpening later and its bombproof and I abuse it to hell for all sorts, I don't think twice about taking a lumphammer to the back of it if there is a tough knot to hack through.

I've just lost my daily pocket Opinel so I am going to try a Svord next for a change.

Will :)

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I'd encourage a first time bushcraft knife buyer to go for the Hultafors Heavy Duty Knife or a carbon Mora.
I've got a Condor Bushlore (new model), and I think it's a great knife. It took a bit of effort to get it sharp, as mine didn't come very well finished, but once there, it holds its edge well, and is a very solid knife.

There is a great review of the Condor Bushlore (Link below) it is in german but for non speakers just watch the grief he gives it!
I also don't see a problem with an introductory knife needing a little work to get it razor sharp, it is a required skillset and once you know how much effort it can take, you will appreciate the worth of the sharp tool. (This from the guy that sharpened his Condor on a Tormek :D)

[video=youtube;44qNNm65c5A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpag e&v=44qNNm65c5A[/video]

Rob.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Awesome video! I never intend to use my Bushlore to climb, but somehow I would have felt dissapointed if in the video it had broken! Great knife.

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
A good cheap knife is the Mora 2000.
If you want to spend some more the best knife I've had is my Bushcrafter from Off the Map Knives.

Mar 14, 2012
uk
i'm with the mora i have about 3 i think and 1 spoon knife from them i love them all just get a cheap one i can recommend the companion they are amazing! :D
Cheers Ed

Maxwellol

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Manchester
As you can see, nobody has almost anything bad to say about the £10 morass to begin. I was gonna get one but I.got paranoia about getting caught with it in ky bag in the city centre (on way to train station/woods) with it and not having enough experience yet to "prove" that I'm a bushcrafter. Really paranoid I know as I know I probably can't get my bag searched, but there you go.

So I've started with a "hunter" swiss army knife, £15 from amazon. It's fantasic!!!! You get two sizes of blades which after a quick strop were ALMOST shaving Sharp, and it comes with a woodsaw instead of a stupid scissors. The saw is great, very tough and sharp, just needs more work to cut through thick branches because its so short

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I find scissors extremely useful. Better on Wenger models, admittedly. I find the saws a bit limiting - better off with a Laplander but the blades are great

Maxwellol

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Manchester
I find scissors extremely useful. Better on Wenger models, admittedly. I find the saws a bit limiting - better off with a Laplander but the blades are great

Each to his own, and I'm sure there are times when scissors will perform better than a blade. But I wanted. Saw on my SAK for the same reason, paranoia. The laplander and its copycats would be a million times more useful and ill be getting one plus a proper mora when I'm ready. :D

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Both my SAKs have scissors and a saw... The saws are useful for notching but tend to get jammed easily.

Great as an EDC, though, which you can't say of a Mora

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE