What's missing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
I tracked this down in youtube having vaguely remembered watching it on the telly, but now that I've watched it back (specifically 4.10 - 4.57) there seems to be something missing between the wings off and thumb in bit.

Has anyone tried this method and if so how do you rate it and what's missing?

Cheers

Chris

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
This is the way of prepping pigeon i was tought and it works great.
In regards to the bit missing do you mean removing the head so there is somewhere to get your thumbs in?

huntsmanbob

Jul 9, 2009
norwich
I have been crowning birds ( all game birds ) like this for years & yes you need to remove the head first so you can get your thumbs in there.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Rip/chop the wings off.

*Edit* Duh, just re-read your post and you've already said about the wings.
Feel free to 'belm' at me.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
In regards to the bit missing do you mean removing the head so there is somewhere to get your thumbs in?

Yes. That bit isn't shown on the video.

Just watched the vid - fantastic, nice and clear and easy to understand. Thanks for pointing it out!

Javapuntnl

Need to contact Admin...
May 2, 2009
Mansfield MA USA
Side note: The F word has to be my all-time favorite food related program on the tele, I wish they would broadcast it here in the US. What Ramsay shows about rearing farm animals in his own backyard and then slaughtering and preparing them is really something that could do a lot of good here in this country of hormone infused meat where the average kid doesn't even know milk comes from a cow, let alone what a cow looks like... Instead we get treated here with Mr. Ramsay trying to give himself a heart-attack while tempting to teach a bunch of morons how to cook in Hells kitchen...
Entertaining?...sure, but ***@#$
The River Cottage is another great program we don't get over here and one of the reasons I got into bushcraft but that's a long story...
Side note over, sorry to interrupt ...

Jacob V.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I have been crowning birds ( all game birds ) like this for years & yes you need to remove the head first so you can get your thumbs in there.

You don't need to remove the head, i never have doing it this way. Just force your thumbs in above the V of the breast bone , push all the innards down away from the breast and roll the breast out. The head is never in the way.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Side note: The F word has to be my all-time favorite food related program on the tele, I wish they would broadcast it here in the US. What Ramsay shows about rearing farm animals in his own backyard and then slaughtering and preparing them is really something that could do a lot of good here in this country of hormone infused meat where the average kid doesn't even know milk comes from a cow, let alone what a cow looks like... Instead we get treated here with Mr. Ramsay trying to give himself a heart-attack while tempting to teach a bunch of morons how to cook in Hells kitchen...
Entertaining?...sure, but ***@#$
The River Cottage is another great program we don't get over here and one of the reasons I got into bushcraft but that's a long story...
Side note over, sorry to interrupt ...

Jacob V.

Have you seen the 'Cook on the wild side' program, was his first before River Cottage?

A bit more Bushcrafty.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
I was shown a similar technique by a farmer, but with pheasant.
You lay the bird on the ground, belly down, stand on the wings while holding the feet and gently pull. With practise all the stuff you dont want is left with the leg end, and what you have is the head breast and wings. Easy and quick.

Nice video and a new way to try it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE