Whats In Your Survival Tin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
If your gona go to the extreme of carrying a spare chain shunt u carry a spare iner tube buddy!!!!!;-)
They don't exist, fact. if you found yourself in a "SURVIVAL" situation, you wouldn't have a tin off things, as if you did you would be just extreme light weight camping. it's the same with "SURVIVAL" knives, they don't exist, any knife labelled as such would be sat on the shelf as a conversation piece while you were off extreme light weight camping, Because if you had a knife with you you would no longer be in a survival situation, you would be Bushcrafting, by that I mean with a knife you can make you life very comfy indeed.

Having said that, "SURVIVAL" tins are fun to build and look at, even if it's from a "look what I can fit in this" point of view. so here's one of mine, not for a specific environment( remember you need to tailor you kit to the environment you will be in) just a box of fun.

260243_10150314262304073_539479072_9355465_3943790_n.jpg

pelicase from Ultimate "SURVIVAL" it is a kit in itself, I have added to a taken some of the bits out.

269966_10150314262649073_539479072_9355473_949113_n.jpg

Left side: one handed blast match(sprung loaded ferro rod, designed to be still usable if one handed), very load twin tone whistle, mini kit(expanded later), Pencil, sharpening stone(very rough to quickly repair edge, can use a pebble for fine edge) heliograph(it's also a mirror for bite/parasite checking).

Right side: small stainless fine edged lock knife( easy to use and repair( though will replace with a small fixed blade when i find one that fits)), hand chain saw(cuts through 10cm hard woods in under two mins, not going to cut anything much larger than that). both sides lined with rubber non slip mat, hold the bits in place as well as catches fire from a spark and burns like inner tube.

262237_10150314262909073_539479072_9355475_1385931_n.jpg

Under the non slip rubber.

Left: 1 litre poly bag, ten puri tabs.

Right: Morse code crib sheet, international help signs, red cross help sheet, accident report form for clear casualty info recording to pass to rescue services.

261955_10150314263334073_539479072_9355479_2414044_n.jpg

Mini Kit and three snares.

262033_10150314263609073_539479072_9355481_2697185_n.jpg

Mini kit: : Four Medium stainless hooks, swivels, four shot weights, length of high pound fishing line for trace, dyneema line for main fishing line and snare trace, button compass for rough direction( not bother about exact bearings) small ferro rod, tampon for tinder, small poly bag.

259927_10150314263779073_539479072_9355482_5034946_n.jpg

All packed away, with snares held by elastic strap. whole kit weighs 500 grams.

I will ad descriptions if peeps want?

EDIT: descriptions added at 1319.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
John, I'm talking about the UK, not some remote middle of nowhere. If I was of on some 'exped' like you do all the time then I'd look at suitable kit. In the meantime and UK orientated they are just a bit of fun in my opinion

QUOTE]
Just saying that you have to tailor your kit to your environment :)
Even in the UK there are places where your credit card and phone are about as good as useless - the £50 is only good if you can actually walk to civilisation.....

TomBartlett

Spoon worrier
Jun 13, 2009
Madison, WI
www.sylvaspoon.com
I'm considering putting together a belt pouch for myself, along the same lines as a survival tin. The thinking I'm putting into it is more along the lines of stuff that will mean that if something non-catastrophic happens, I'll have bits and pieces on me that will ensure that I don't have to cut my journey short. So along the lines of repairs (me and my kit) and back-ups of items I might also be packing. I think it'll be nice to have a little bundle that doesn't get shuffled around as regularly as my backpack that'll contain things which will put my mind at ease that I hopefully won't have to use. Although it would be a fun experiment to go out and just use those items...
So for my, as yet unmade, tin/pouch I'm thinking:
disposable lighter
inner tube
sharpening stone
sewing kit (needles, thread, safety pins, maybe a button or two)
duct tape
mini FAK (alcohol wipes, plasters, pain killers)
penknife
beef or chicken stock cube
plus other things I'm sure will come to mind.

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
maybe we should have a "Survival Kit" only challenge. :D :D :D It would be beneficial to the owner in finding out what works in one's kit and what doesn't work / breaks. It would also serve as a way to get folks thinking about different ways to use the kit items for an outing and then trying it out.

Gordy

I'd be up for that!! :)

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
Even in the UK there are places where your credit card and phone are about as good as useless - the £50 is only good if you can actually walk to civilisation.....

The flip-side of that perspective - you could only use the survival tin if you were relatively unscathed. By that I mean how would you cope in a real 'survival situation' - tin or no tin - by definition you would likely be somehow incapacitated (dislocations, fractures, burns).

From experience, I think the most useful 'survival' equipment specifically for most situations is an air marker panel.

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
Mine has a £20 note (I'm cheap, me), some plasters, a small Opinel, a sewing kit, 10 Tramadol (painkillers) 10 co-codamol (more painkillers), 10 cetirizine (antihistamines), 10 Nexium (proton pump inhibitors) 2 x 100mg (sildenafil), 2 x condoms (I live in central London and have in the dim and distant past got lucky) and my usual assortment of spare anti-depressants in case I get an attack of woe. So it's more of an urban survival kit in my case.

Flippin 'ell! Wouldn't it be worth adding some Risperidone in case of a psychotic episode, a unit of blood in case of the need for a transfusion, some scalpels and sutures in case you have to whip your appendix out and a small cup of water to swallow all those pills with?!?

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Pirated from another forum...the 3 ounce kit:

1 newspaper hat from the 5 day weather section with route map drawn on it (replaces map, NOAA radio, tinder, toilet paper, writing pad, bandana, bulky fabric boonie, Chinese fan)
1/2 razor blade (replaces knife, axe, scalpel, saw)
1 pre-magnetized needle (replaces weapon, compass, toothpick)
1 new cigarette filter (menthol) taped to 1/2 half McDonalds straw (replaces water filter)
1 sheet of scratch and sniff food smells (to make worms taste better)
1 pair edible skivvies (replaces emergency food and Fruit of the Looms) Important: keep sealed to avoid unnecessary snacking
10' used kite string (replaces cordage, belt, suspenders, fishing line, snare wire, shoe laces, bow string, zip ties, sling)
1 matchbook with motivational message (replaces lighter, fire piston, flint rod, striker, toothpick, eyepatch, Tom Brown book)
1 real shiny penny (replaces signal mirror, digging spade, sharpen for spearhead, use for barter, crow-bait, with rock pound into any copper-age implement desired)

All slung with the kite string in a big plastic beer cup (replaces daypack, water bottle, fire bucket, use for gathering berries, ant trap, grow sprouts, strap to face to make dustmask or funny noises...cut out bottom and reverse for elk call or survival bullhorn)

NOTE: Splurge! with one more beer cup and the string, you have a basic communication device...no batteries to go bad!

NOTE #2 I used the numeral forms of numbers in this list instead of writing them out...saves weight!

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Ah the never ending discussion on the 'Survival Tin'. It comes around again... There must be a natural cycle to it.

Anyhow... If it makes you happy go for it...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE