What's in your hot chocolate?

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
As a lover of a descent mug of Steaming Hot Chocolate I recently got put off from drinking another when I watched my Mother inlaw have her regular morning cup of chocolate, one mouthful and then a sudden scream and a face of horror followed by a face I wished I caught on camera. Why you might be thinking! well the inlaws home is home to an army of slugs and one huge one decided on a chocolate bath.

Last edited:

BigM

Forager
Jul 2, 2009
The West
Oh, I'm so glad you asked this question. The only time I ever really drink hot choc is when I'm availing of ration packs. Then it's the usual sachet with some hot water, and then a half bar of Kendal Mint Cake. Allow the mint cake to melt and enjoy.

Believe me, try it. You'll never go back! Think I'll go have one now.

M

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I got the 100% cacao for xmas, its really bitter, but you grate 25g onto 2 parts water 1 part milk that is basically a mug of water, they you boil it till it thickens up. Sweeten with sugar.

I'm gonna try some orange or mint with it to flavour it abit as Toddy sugested, albeit it doesnt need any extra flavouring, just for fun.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I love really strong and thick hot chocolate with a good dash of evaporated milk in, even better would be a good dash of brandy :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I love the brown mint cake and choc covered mint cake....but I dont like minty drinks for some reason.....mint tea in Morrocco, sat on a flat roof, eating bread and olive oil with the master while his wife cooks bread below, excepted - that tasted brilliant!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i like a bit of chilly in my hot chocolate these days. Happened after a rather sexy young lady came on a course and as a thankyou sent me a jar of chilly hot choccy.

Also, as suggested a bit of rum or whiskey ;)

greasemonkey

Forager
Jun 7, 2008
Cumbernauld
I tried chilli, but I wasn't too keen on it. But I did make it a bit too strong.
The woman who sits beside me at the football sneaked in a hip flask of Drambuie today which she slipped in her hot chocolate, it smelled fantastic.

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
I'm quite taken by 'The hairy bikers' spin on hot chocolate.

Ingredients
1 vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped out
1 cinnamon stick
1 litre/1¾ pints milk
150g/5½oz plain chocolate
sugar, to taste
freshly grated nutmeg, for dusting

Method
1. Add the vanilla pod and seeds together with the cinnamon stick to the milk. Place in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
2. Break the chocolate into pieces, then add to the milk and allow to melt, stirring constantly.
3. Whisk the milk vigorously to give a good froth. Add a little sugar and a dusting of nutmeg. Serve.

For an evening campfire drink, you could always add a tipple of your choice.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
anybody know any good camp recipe's, not using rat packs, but real choc :) maybe with milk powder...

If you go into the Hotel Chocolat shops (very posh nonsense chocolate) they do this tear drop hot chocolate. you melt the tears in a bit of cream, then top up with milk...its pretty incredible. SOmething you should try at least once :D

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
i do like the rat-pack mint hot chocolate! good stuff that is!

failing that - just milk + choc for me.

andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE