Whats everyone do for a living in the real world?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm an archaeologist (there's a few of us on this list too), but I work for Historic Scotland, Galgael Trust, SNH, Countryside Ranger Services, environmental groups, etc., teaching & demonstrating traditional handcrafts. Mostly fibre stuffs, cordages, natural dyes and the like but I also do a bit on lotions and potions and famine foods and some authentic period clothing.
My sons both work in IT though, can I still get to play?:)

Toddy

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I retired from the rat race a long time ago. Now I dabble in collectables on a limited basis, but was recently contacted by a single woman, who is a friend of a friend and she asked if I would help to sort through and catalogue her deceased mothers estate, locate buyers, etc. So, I may be embarking on a new and expanded direction of what has up to now just been a passionate hobby.

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
I work for a local authority.

Strange hours, stranger tenents

Still, shift work gives me time for playing - and the decorating :roll:

Steve

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
Electrical Surveyor... getting electricity to houses and farms, rural sections... designing powerlines through the countryside of North Canterbury, New Zealand, so I can see thick warm forests in the morning, snow at lunchtime, and at my desk doing Autocad plans in the afternoon... :lol:

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Day job as project management consultant - teach it part time too.
Also director of a business launching a new range of electric powered golf trolleys into the UK market this year - I don't play, but the products are good !

:biggthump

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
I was working as a animator for 15 years doing cartoon movies before the times of computers changed our life. After that I worked for 6 years with computer games as animation director. Leaving the rate race I moved to the north of sweden to find myself and start a live between art (painting and drawing wildlife and nature) and bushcraft. At the moment I have a small teacher job teaching some ours a week art. Then I get some money from the unemployment office too. :wink:

cheers
Abbe

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
currently i work as a supermarket manager for a reasnable big food giant but i used to be a game keeper working for rossway and wentworth estates. i wish the money didnt matter i would go back to working outside tommorrrow....

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Plant Fitter in the Royal Engineers. I fix generators, JCB diggers, power tools and all that sort of good stuff.

And like Graham I also get all my kit exchanged in stores when it gets broken aswell. Hey, there's got to be a few perks in our line of work!!

The great thing about my job is using explosives and having axes, machetes and bill hooks in our troop stores!!

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
If I lived in the US a would say I work in Law Enforcement, I don’t really have one title, I do criminal investigation, crime prevention, loss prevention, surveillance and close protection for retail, manufacturing and distribution companies and local arthritis. I am not in the police but work very closely with them and sit on some local police boards.

The best part of my job is getting an arrest the worst thing is the violent arrest (which most are).

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
I work in a Cardboard Box Factory :cry: :yuck:
Double Backer Operater on a B flute Corrugater. I get to push 2 and 3 ton reels of paper about, manually :yikes:

On Sunday mornings I do volenteer conservation work on Crowle Moors. :Crazy_071 It's a Lowland Peat Bog. The Reserve I work on is 450 acres but with English Natures bit there's 8000 acres in all. No roads, houses or farms and hardly any people. Brilliant place and I get to play on a 6x6 Quad. :naughty: :super:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
spamel said:
The great thing about my job is using explosives and having axes, machetes and bill hooks in our troop stores!!

Spamel...that's about the funniest thing I've read in ages! :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao: I went up and had a butchers round the armoury at our TA RHQ and felt exactly the same with all the toys they had in there! :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao:

P

Pocahontas

Well for my sins i am an accountant!

Got made redundant on the 4th of Feb and got offered a job on the 18th feb so i have had 3 weeks off and start working again tomorrow!!! Eek

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
I am a "jack of all trades", with the exception of eletrical and complex plumbing, you name it I can do it. I change jobs about every 3 years or so , [short attention span!], always something new to learn and I've found for me that its better to find someone to pay me to learn something " on the job", than for me to pay some school or college to learn it.

TAZ

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2004
Farnborough, Hampshire
i,m a bench joiner so I get to play with sharp things most days. been doing this for 18 years now. tried to become a forest ranger in the new forest but was told I had to have a degree!!!
I love my work and would'nt work in an office again (tried it and hated it).Unfortunately it means I have to wait until i get home to get on the "puter".

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
In the past, a hardrock miner, crane operator, a furnace tapper, now a soon to be retired machinist, all the while was a part-time firearms instructor for the military/police/civilian. No wonder I'm tired :eek:):

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE