Whats everyone do for a living in the real world?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'm a Viking, except when I'm a Roman or a Saxon.

Seriously though, I work as a living history interpreter and experimental archeaologist.

I spend my time dressed up in recreated historical clothing and working out how our ancesters really lived. Having done that I go to schools and teach facinated kids about it and demonstrating ancient craft skills to anyone else who is interested.

I wake up every day looking forward to my work and I wouldn't change it for the world.

B

bombadil

Usually work in forestry and conservation when I can, but also gardening, landscaping.....just about anything outdoors.
Oh.....and sometimes I study Conservation and forestry too.....

allanscot

Apr 15, 2005
Scotland
I am just about to finish my final year at uni and work in web application development in between that.

Brilliant forum lots of useful stuff :)

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
I'm a tree surgeon, a pretty groovy job for working with wood. I must sya that i prefer using my puukko though than my husqy, strangely quieter.
Hey jimh, get out there man, forestry is hard graft but good for the soul and you really feel that you've done a good days work.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I'm a mechanical engineer, working for a company that provides contract staff and consultancy services. I can be working on anything from gym equipment to robotics.

Oh - and I get to go on BCUK using my bosses broadband and he doesn't mind!

Dave

Slimey

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Hertfordshire
Another in IT here, though I wish I wasn't! I really don't enjoy it anymore :(

I'm not really qualified in anything, just have 15 years experience in IT so that's what I'm stuck with, sort of slipped into it.

Still, I manage to escape that and get out laning each month family permitting and now I'm looking forward to learning loads about bushcraft. :)

The outlook isn't so bleak after all!

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Another Student here, leaving school after my A levels in a month! :D. I don't have a clue what i want to do for university so i have been recomended to take a few years off. I want to travel, learn lanuages and live off my own back for a while. I've had everything given to me all my life (free education, food, home, transport, pocket money!) and i want to go it alone for a while and learn from my mistakes.

Potentially looking into the police however. Seems like there are many paths you can go down within the career, and the thought of waking up every morning and thinking "i wonder what i will encounter today?" really appeals!

Swampy Steve

Apr 20, 2005
West Cornwall
I was born and brought up on a farm in deepest Cornwall. Grew up hunting, trapping, camping and cooking what we cought on camp fires - thought that's the way everyone lived until I was in secondary school ! Spent some time working on a ranch in Alberta. Came back here ( I forget why ) as farming was suffering endless crisis I shifted to the entertainment industry - The past five years I have been Managing a nightclub. I enjoy my job but due to its nature I don't get away at the weekends. Taking a weeks holiday to come to the meet in Sept. ;)

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
Hi BM, been in Egypt over 10 years now. I offer printing services to ex-pat companies here, and am Production Manager for the British ex-pat magazine in Cairo (SWMBO is Editor). We spend a lot of time in the outdoors here, both the Western Desert & Sinai, and have two Landies being fully re-built at the moment, with the intention of running our own tours, as well as working with an established tour company and possibly an off-road club as soon as we can get everything organised.
Any information or help you'd like, drop me a line.
ATB,
Derek. ;)
Beer Monster said:
I work for a tailor-made luxury African safari company. We organise safaris to East and Southern Africa, Morocco and the Indian Ocean Islands. I absolutely love my job!

Even though it's primarily office based (I spend about 2 months of the year travelling around the lodges in Africa) every day is different so in the mornings I could be working out how heavy a plane can be to land on a dirt airstrip in Uganda and in the afternoon talking to a client about the best time to see Wild Dogs in Botswana! Variety is the spice of life!

We are thinking of expanding into the Middle East. I used to live in Dubai so I know the UAE quite well but have no idea about Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan or Oman (the other countries we are thinking of) so I may be posting a thread for help soon ........ watch this space!

Hi,

After working as a Ranger all over the place I decided to set up my own business doing similar stuff - environmental education, etc. However, I was realistic enough to realise that there wouldn't be enough work just doing that, so I decided to try wildlife consultancy stuff, and selling a few things off the web site. That way, at any given time I'd have a few quid coming in. I expanded the web site to compensate for the vagaries of the consultancy work, and got an increasing amount of orders from it. Trouble is, the consultancy stuff started taking off too, and this together with a couple of related niche products has meant that when I'm not out doing field work, I'm desperately trying to catch up with e-mails, orders, etc. So much for working a little and playing a lot. Ho hum.

I'm off now to get back to making badger gates, as I have just had a large order, and need to replenish the stocks. Then I shall go out on my bike for half an hour!!

M.

Tex

Nov 3, 2004
Pymble, Sydney, Australia
Dave Farrant said:
Hi Tex

How did you get to work with Wood and Stone? :confused:

That's an unusual mix.

Fell into carpentry after leaving school, i like the detailed work, which lead into cabinate making. Became a project manager for and period restoration and started helping out the masons. Decided to go to collage and study the subject, qualified then started working. Keeps me out of trouble.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I was a soldier for many, many years. I left the army and started a survival school. That lasted a year and a half and I packed it in because i couldn't make a decent living from it. I went back to college and did IT, then qualified to teach and did that for a few years. Got sick with stress and packed in teaching. Went to agricultural college to do a green woodcraft course (paid for by the dole and mainly to get my chainsaw blue book) and fell in love with greenwood and working it straight from the log.

Now I have a couple of small businesses making early period furniture and other medieval treen and a handyman business doing domestic and household maintenance and repairs.

I also manage a number of small coppice woodland areas and run greenwood courses for bowmaking, spooncarving and hurdle making and stuff like that at various times during the year.

I'm fifty four years old and have never been happier than I am right now.

Eric

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Eric - it's absolutely fantastic to pass on your ways, well done and all the best in the future.

Thanks for sharing

Chris :)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Eric_Methven said:
Now I have a couple of small businesses making early period furniture and other medieval treen and a handyman business doing domestic and household maintenance and repairs.

Eric
What a beautiful word, 'treen' :)
Cookware, tableware, or eating utensils made of wood.

[From Middle English, made of wood, from Old English trowen, from trow, tree. See tree.]
It is funny what fate throws up for us throughout our lives and how, often it is the unexpected that provides the way forward.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE