What you reckon to these? are they any good?

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Hi Clem,

At that type of money - around £100 - I'd be looking for a second hand Mountain Equipment Torres 2 XT . A very well made 2 man tent that will put up with all weather conditions and this will also have a better resale value IMHO. It will also sleep two people at a push - but be very comfy for one. I have a Torres 3 XT and it is fantastic!!

Have a look on ebay.

Phil.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
There's an Austrian company that makes really great hooped bivi's but there stupidly expensive,I would have myself one of those if I could aford one.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
CLEM said:
Anyone know anything about these tents???,I need a small one man shelter to use during a planned bushcrafting course! These look relativily cheap,but are they any good???

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr2108622.html

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr2259.html

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr2258.html

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr2260.html
The big problem with the microfast is the size and shape they pack down to - basically they are like those portable sunshades for the beach and fold away by curling the spring steel hoops in opposite directions thus forming a smaller hoop. The whole thing is then wrestled into a round zip up bag. There is no arguing the speed in which they can be erected but I have one of these purely as a car tent when camping in close proximity to the vehicle due to the aforementioned pack size problems.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Silverback said:
The big problem with the microfast is the size and shape they pack down to - basically they are like those portable sunshades for the beach and fold away by curling the spring steel hoops in opposite directions thus forming a smaller hoop. The whole thing is then wrestled into a round zip up bag. There is no arguing the speed in which they can be erected but I have one of these purely as a car tent when camping in close proximity to the vehicle due to the aforementioned pack size problems.
Thank you mate! Ideal for car camping but not what Ive in mind!Thanks again for the advice. :)

Bonzo Frog

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
Worcestershire
It might be considering how much heavy use it's going to get. In my experience kit tends to get used harder than you think it will, I agree that you can probably find something better for the price if you don't mind spending a bit of time searching. Have bought stuff from Surplus and Adventure in the past and always had good service.

Good luck,

Bonzo

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
Carinthia makes very good kit, I have 3 of their sleeping bags including the survival down which is an awesome piece of kit. Paganwolf has a carinthia observer bivvy and he rates them pretty highly I believe.
German guy on ebay sells them cheaper than RRP

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Brendan said:
Carinthia makes very good kit, I have 3 of their sleeping bags including the survival down which is an awesome piece of kit. Paganwolf has a carinthia observer bivvy and he rates them pretty highly I believe.
German guy on ebay sells them cheaper than RRP
Thanks Brendon,Ive looked on ebay but found nothing.Have to keep an eye open there for them! ;)

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Clem,
people laugh about Millets quite a lot, but do go and check out their small two-man and one-man tents. A lot cheaper than some of the equipment you have been looking at. Unless you're going to do something extreme like camp at the side of a mountain in a howling gale you probably don't need expensive kit. Also those small tunnel tents in spite of what people say my experience has been that you get very damp in them. If it's a howling gale or raining outside it is an absolute nightmare trying to put your trousers back on first thing in the morning! Bit like wrestling with an octopus!

Sandsnakes

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
sandsnakes said:
Clem,
people laugh about Millets quite a lot, but do go and check out their small two-man and one-man tents.
I have to say that I agree with you. I have a Eurohike 275 2 man dome tent with entended porch and it has been fantatstic for everything I have wanted. Its not lightweight but light enough to carry for a few miles. and it packs down nicley. It was £15 s/h on e-bay, no P&P as I collected it. :)

My Son had a Eurohike 360 3 man tunnel and used it until the UV wrecked the pole sleeves. We think he got 100 nights out of it for just under £70 new.

If you put them up right, ie use all the guying points then they are also suprisingly warm and keep you dry, plus the awanings are just big enough that you can put a trangia on to warm it up on cold mornings :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE