What Would You Bring?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What would you bring of these 2, in a survival situation? (temperate woodland)

• Survival Tin (SAS style)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Mattsteel said:
Does anyone know where can i get a wiresaw from?
Matt - don't waste your time. The wiresaws in survival kits are designed as escape equipment for captured military forces. They are made to cut through dry seasoned wood and clog up on the green wood you would most likely be cutting in a bushcraft /survival situation. If you want one for bushcraft, you'd need one of the two designs of pocket chainsaw made by Ultimate survival and a second company whose name I forget. These are bigger, heavier, dearer but do work well on substantial branches of green wood. Either would fill a survival tin though.

Yours is (excuse the assumption) a very common misconception that I fell into myself until someone on the forum enlightened me. Cheers.

Moine

Forager
I chose the locking SAK/multitool (I'd prefer a sturdy fixed blade though ;))... but that's a summer/dry temperature choice. In winter, I'd probably go for the tin kit just for the fire. Starting a fire by friction in the middle of a rainy, foggy week is feasable, but it's hard.

Water can be found, shelter can be made from debris, food can be gathered and hunted with simple rocks or a basic spear, gross navigation can be done using the sun, the stars or many different things... but a good, tough, sharp blade is difficult to get from stone (even the best one).

Fire and a decent cutting tool. Add to that a tarp / poncho / tough plastic sheet, a metallic recipient and a bandana, and I'm a happy primate ;)

Cheers,

David

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
If I had a survival tin I wouldn't bother with a condom. Presuming you've got it with you to collect/carry water, it's far too much hassle.
I would prefer to carry a freezer bag or something similar.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Moine said:
but that's a summer/dry temperature choice. In winter, I'd probably go for the tin kit just for the fire. Starting a fire by friction in the middle of a rainy, foggy week is feasable, but it's hard.

raising a good point there mate.. i know you dont normal get a choice of which survival situation your in.. but in different situations different choices might be made (at least by me)

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Hey Geoff :You_Rock_ too.

You make a very good point - esp easy firelighting if you're tired / injured.

Shows an interesting thing about attitude. Someone once set me the scenario of what ten things out of a list of 30 would I take and in what priority if I were in an aircraft that crashed in the sea somewhere in the south pacific. My reply was 100% right for my scenario of having to survive and save my own bottom, and 100% wrong for their (unstated) scenario that someone else actually knew where we were and all we had to do was sit tight for 48 hours and wait for the rescue party. I was also very amused at how the "examiners" unjustified and unstated assumptions really hacked me off - never realised I was pig headed :rolmao:

I don't assume that I can rely on the cavalry coming around the corner so always look for maximum utility in the long term. That's not always the right answer though. :biggthump

Moine

Forager
Stew said:
If I had a survival tin I wouldn't bother with a condom. Presuming you've got it with you to collect/carry water, it's far too much hassle.
I would prefer to carry a freezer bag or something similar.
I wholeheartedly agree... Those condoms are great to avoid catching something odd when you least expect it, but for catching water they're almost useless... unless you have a deep and large pond you can scoop energically from. They do require some decent lot of energy to expand and hold the water. It's not impossible, but it's hard, and if you miss on the first try, you'll disturb the mud on the bottom and you'll have to wait forever for the next attempt.

Freezer bags offer the advantage of being easy to fill.

Right now I'm carrying an old platypud hydration bladder. I removed the tube and stuck a cork in the elbow-like piece where the tube attaches. It doesn't leaks at all, and it allows me to safely carry 3 liters of easily filled water in a backpack. Rolled tight, it hardly takes up more space than 2-3 gallon-sized ziplocs. It's small enough to fit in the chest pocket of a bush shirt.

Those ziplocks are great to collect water and to treat it, but they bust when you least expect it (just ask my father, the condoms are the same :rolleyes:). Having a gallon of water splashing the inside of your pack (not mentioning anything like freezing temps...) is not a funny experience. I still carry a few zippies as a backup water container set, and to gather plants, and stuff (in the bush, any container = priceless!). I also use them as a trash bag, so I can bring back the trash I and preceding humans have produced, and to waterproof most of my gear.

Cheers,

David

Bushmaster

Forager
Oct 17, 2004
Scotland
Well done cpl Jones, I see you spotted my deliberate mistake.I was wondering when some one would spot that. :shock:

Cheers Tant I will be watching you lol :eek:): :eek:): :naughty: :naughty: :biggthump :nana:

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Stepping back a bit to the condom/water carrier issue.
In German Army ration packs there's a plastic bag, heavy, with a reinforced top that has hand slots, like a little shopping bag. Top kit for tins etc. Much easier to use than a condom. Worth buying the rat pack just to extract a couple of them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE