What Would You Bring?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What would you bring of these 2, in a survival situation? (temperate woodland)

• Survival Tin (SAS style)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Yeah, what would would you bring of the 2?? I would like to hear everybody's answer. Explain why please! :)

Personally I would bring the locking SAK, cause i believe the contents on this one is more sturdy than the small things in a tin. There's so much more stuff to keep in place, by choosing the tin. :wink: My opinion, let me hear yours! :biggthump

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I'd go for the tin too ... in there I have the basics of navigaion, food, water, cutting covered.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
i'm with you guy's to i have a little folder in mine aswell and the tin give's me the means to lite a fire catch fish trap rabbits and it can be used as a cup for boiling water :wave:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
What I actually meant was if the tin didn't have a folder or other decent knife in it. A tin like the one in SAS survival guide. :wink: My mistake, should have said that from the start.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I don't have a clue. Each choice leaves me in a pretty bad state anyhow!

Bushmaster

Forager
Oct 17, 2004
Scotland
It has to be the tin.The contents can provide (with prior knowledge and skill) everything you need. Protection as you have the scalpel blades and para cord to help in shelter building,along with fire starting kit,for warmth and morale.Location ,we are back to fire and the button compass.Water, you have condoms,puritabs and good old fire again for boiling.finaly for food, you have snares,fire,fishing kit and scalpel for preparing.
It is no competition.You also have a heliograph using the lid and a small container for water in the base.
Geoff :biggthump :wave:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hmmmm, didn't think of those options. When i think of survival tins i think of Gelert second rate stuff, about as useful as a plasic knife :shock:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Little Viking you should of added a third choice of other!!

I'd be in the other catagory!! Survival tins and SAK are jacks of all trades masters of none and while either would be better than nothing given the choice o a cmmercially made kit I'd go for the RAF issue one as this is by far the best one available.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hmmm, i thought they were all the same, hence i went for the sak....i have been educated :biggthump

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
If I were to carry the tin, the contents would be:

Fireball firesteel w. striker.
Some needles and heavy thread
A button compass
Some string and fishing line
A pencil
Plasters
Wiresaw
Condom
Matches
Candle
Fish hooks and a sinker
Snare wire
Magnifying glass
and probably a SAK.
If i could get a bigger tin than the one i've got now, the SAK could fit in there. :wink:

Mattsteel

Oct 23, 2004
Sheffield
I'd go for the survival tin, because you've got the scalpal blades and wiresaw for cutting stuff, which is just about all you could do with the SAK.
I'm in the middle of collecting stuff for mine, just started it last week. Everyone in my family thinks i'm mad!
Does anyone know where can i get a wiresaw from?

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Mattsteel said:
I'd go for the survival tin, because you've got the scalpal blades and wiresaw for cutting stuff, which is just about all you could do with the SAK.
I wouldn't say that. A solid grip on a SAK compared to the "grip" on a scalpel blade. I'd go for the SAK then.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
OK - I'll assume it's the only thing I can have - except maybe for the clothes I stand up in. You did say locking SAK/multitool so I'll have my wave, I hate SAK's. That gives me two usable blades, a saw, a proper handle and a diamond file even if I have to break it off the knife to be able to sharpen the blades.

With these and natural cordage (which I can make) I can buld a bowdrill set and make fire - even if it takes me a while. With fire I can sterilise the water I've filtered through reeds or grass and ashes from the fire.

With the knife I can make digging tools, spear, bow and arrows and traps (not forgetting the natural cord from nettles, withies, bark or whatever) I may even manage a wedge for splitting firewood with a stone. I can dress anything I can catch.

I can make a debris shelter, strip bark for a water container, carve a spoon.

I can cut a stick to make a sun compass, a quadrant for estimating latitude yada yada

With a survival tin I could.... use the PP solution to deal with athletes foot :nana:

No contest methinks :eek:):

(but fun thread !) Cheers

Bushmaster

Forager
Oct 17, 2004
Scotland
I agree in principle with your argument,but all of the above involve extra work/effort, which uses up vital energy resources.With the tin etal you use less energy as all is provided.
:naughty: :nana:
Geoff

PS at the end of the day we are all correct to some degree because we all know, no matter what we have with us,what you carry in your head is much more important than what you have on your hip or in your pocket. As each post shows, knowledge aforethought and you can cope no matter what you have.
:You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE