what would be the basic kit needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
hi all

just starting out and wondered what is the basic kit that everyone takes for a weekend away

yes i have tents, sleeping bag.

but just intrested in what you the guys and girls that do it more than just once in a blue moon take in your back packs.

sorry if this has been asked before

regards

marc

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
Stoney Creek belt pouch containing - space blanket, compass, lots of paracord, head torch and about 15 rounds of 308.
Belt - razor sharp boning knife and steel.
Rifle - Tikka T3 stainless. Mag of 3.
Swazi Wapiti coat. BCB survival kit tin. Assorted squashed Mars bars and Whittakers Peanut Slabs.
US Poncho.
Briitish Army water bottle, or Camelbak in the summer.
There'll be other stuff of course, like you say, but this stuff always goes into the bush. Why the rifle? Well if there's a chance of 20 or 30 kg of venison, duh?? And it's a good survival tool. Makes a very loud bang and is good for attracting attention if it all goes wrong.

Mar 14, 2012
uk
basc kit would contain:

BCB kit: crusdader mug and cooker,58 pattern water bottle and plastic mug
fire steel
vaseline cotton balls
meths trangia (i much prefer it to the crusader cooker and the crusader one isnt any good for a group and cat do a meal even for one comfortably)
meths
mora clipper mg840
tenth wonder 1.8m black hornet (dontstay o the floor with a tent please try ahammock i beg you!)
tenth wonder 3X3m tarp(i love tenth wonder great VFM)
basic FAK
air rifle and pellets (only if im in our feilds as i just use it to drop the odd rabbit if i can)
small torch
plenty of paracord
roll met
UQ
old down karimor bag

on top of all this i bring plety of cothes and some grub, i will try to cut back on how much how grub i take when im better at identifying natural grub, theres probably one or two things i've issed off that list but thats most of what i bring

Erro Telcontar

Forager
Mar 23, 2012
Sheffield
Hi Marc,

A basic kit for me to see me through a weekend in the woods changes with the seasons, but for a generic basics list for most of the year i carry:
Bivi bag
Sleeping mat
1 season sleeping bag (for most of the year its warm enough but if the temperature drops i light a small fire or pile dry leaf matter into the bivi bag for insulation)
shelter i usually build or take a poncho/ tarp

1 litre water bottle
3 litre water bladder (taken empty then filled from a stream mostly for pot cleaning and for when i need to put the fire out)
stainless steel mug
spoon

Mora knife
firesteel
first aid kit

and then such food as i'll need, usually supplemented with foraged food when i can.
and then a set of suitable clothing

thats about it mate, like i say i'd typically take other things specific to the trip but this is the 'basics' list. when i first started i found the list in the begining of Ray Mears' essential bushcraft very useful.

Erro

All that is gold does not Glisten

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Uncle Ray suggests the following basics for camping ..

Something to carry your outfit in
Something to sleep under
Something to sleep in
Something to sleep on
Something to cook over
Something to cook in
Something to carry water
a mug
eating utensils
food
medical kit
Navigational equipment
illumination at night
wash kit
clothing

I think it's a pretty good list as it leaves you with plenty of options depending on what you're doing, the season etc.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire

just starting out and wondered what is the basic kit that everyone takes for a weekend away

The very basics?

Something to sleep in, on and under.
Something to cook, cook in, cook on, cook with.
Something to carry water*.
Something to drink from and eat with.
Something to carry your stuff.
Stuff to keep you warm.
Stuff to keep you and your stuff dry.
Stuff to clean stuff with
Stuff that burns other stuff.
Stuff for when nature calls.
Stuff for navigating with.
Stuff for 1st aid and meds.

* Plus stuff for filtering water if the situation requires it.

The specifics of _something_ and _stuff_ tend to be highly personal and are generally based on aesthetics, what works for you, depth of pocket, giftings and/or presents, whether you're good with your hands and so on.

EDIT: Took waaay too long typing that :eek: :rofl:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
As above, dont go mad, get together with other guys, and have fun.

oh year a good sence of humor....

leon-1

Uncle Ray suggests the following basics for camping ..

Something to carry your outfit in
Something to sleep under
Something to sleep in
Something to sleep on
Something to cook over
Something to cook in
Something to carry water
a mug
eating utensils
food
medical kit
Navigational equipment
illumination at night
wash kit
clothing

I think it's a pretty good list as it leaves you with plenty of options depending on what you're doing, the season etc.

In addition to this you may require some form of cutting tools like a small folding saw and a knife. Toilet paper or handy andies. A pair of reasonably thick leather gloves which are handy when collecting wood or taking things off the fire (if your fire is open).

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Hi Marc, do you have a billy can ?, if not i have some s/steel containers that i've made into billys, you can have one for free, if you cover the p+p

Rob

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
well to start with keep it simple, dont go buying tons of kit, take a pan from the house to cook in or if your worried about trashing it go to the £ shop a buy one for errrrrm £ 1, you have the kit you need really, sleeping bag clothes to keep you warm at night etc etc...

go out have some fun, find out what you like by going with others, and find what route you want to take bushcraft, for me its fire, i like to get a fire going and have progressed to the hand drill now, you can make craft items, all sorts of things, you can choose the food route, making it, finding it, its your choice, you can do it all if you so wish, but most of all dont take things to heart, if your fire wont start dont be afraid to use matches or a packet of tissues etc etc, to fail it to grow stronger, just make sure "IF" you fail, your not in trouble when you do, as in cold wet with no fire or food...

keep safe, and enjoy...:)

my list (for me) is as follows.

tarp with pegs and cordage/bungies if i need them
sleeping bag
bivi bag (a wet sleeping bag sucks)
roll mat
stove
fuel
fire steel
matches ( as back up or lighter)
cooking pot (my one sits with the stove)
1 set of spare clothes (just incase i get soaked and cant dry off, or rip my trousers open and get cold)
warm kit (buffalo jacket sweat shirt shemag etc etc etc)
knife (mora basic £10 job works very well and are tough)
folding saw (£1 from errrrrm £ shop...:) )
axe
diamond sharpening stone
String/para cord (can be used for all sorts, normally for me the bow drill)
small first aid kit (plasters blister kit pain killers and a good strong bandage if it all goes wrong)

thats about it, i dont take a KFS or spoon because i always make one....;) i dont bother with a wash kit as such as i wash in the stream where i camp and wash pots there etc. just some washing up liquid (camping break down non toxic stuff) and some toilet roll, moss is ok but its cold...lol...

as i said keep it simple and safe...

but most of all HAVE FUN.......:):):):)

Last edited:

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Ok, so think about -

Walking in - what do you need if it rains or if it's cold ?

Cooking - what will you eat ? What will you cook it with ?

Sleeping -what will you sleep in if it's cold ?

Darkness - what will you do when it's dark ? How will you see when it's dark ?

Emergency - what will you do if you cut yourself or sprain, ankle etc ?

Answering these questions will develop a list of things you need, inevitably you will take too much kit the first
few times out.

thanx lannyman

think my first wild camp is going to be very basic so i can see how i enjoy it
then i can add to it with what i missed or needed from the first outing.
then when every1 from my neck of the country start going out again i will
see if i can join them and learn the way and see how every1 else does it.

cheers
marc

Home Guard

Forager
Dec 13, 2010
North Walsham, Nelson's County.
Basic kit very very much depends on where about you are going, what time of year and also personal preferences. Although bushcraft shouldn't be "ruffing it", we all have different opinions on what is comfortable. A main one would be how many layers is acceptable to sleep in.

I always wear a good pair of work trousers, boots with thick socks, possible gaiters too. A tough shirt, t-shirt, jumper and jacket.

I have a 1937 pattern large backpack with added pockets.
Shelter and Bedroll: IPK as a groundsheet, British army poncho as shelter, paracord, rollmat and a wool blanket.
I have a 12cm Zebra billy and trangia with a homemade potstand.
Osprey bottle with cup.
Knife, fork, spoon.
Mora knife.
Candle.
Torch.

And that pretty much covers most things.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE