What wildlife did you spot today?

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
Possibly a female drinker, although it was quite small, only about 15-20mm.

Just curious, what features made you think a female drinker?
Your location (I’m assuming it’s from your locale) The size as far as I can deduce from your pics. The colour and pattern. It’s just the short stubby wings that throws me right off.
 
Your location (I’m assuming it’s from your locale) The size as far as I can deduce from your pics. The colour and pattern. It’s just the short stubby wings that throws me right off.
Yes, location is East Suffolk.

Didn't know if those spurs on the leg might be an identifying feature or not. It seemed to have two of them on it's rear legs.
20260903_141754(0).jpg
But, like you, thown off by those wings. Wondered if it might be newly emerged.
 
Been set up to fall! Female Drinkers are larger than males and have wings, all female Eggars have wings, as do Fox Moth.

I think, as you've both deduced, that it's still emerging or, as happens occasionally, the wings are malformed. Many UK moths carry tibial spurs unfortunately.

It's very difficult to be conclusive, without full wing patterns it could be a number of British moths, possible an Orange Swift but I wouldn't put money on it.
 
about 15min ago on my way "to the office" (=my Wi-Fi spot) i had two animals crossing the road (which runs between a river and a steep hillside) in front of me about 300m from the village. i've to (try and) find out what exactly they were, but i believe it was a species of badgers (definitely not raccoons, coatis or tayras)...

edit (24hrs later): it was a pair of greater grisons (galictis vittata) which according to google are seen rarely in the wild due to low population density...
 
Last edited:
A few days ago I had an adult weasel with at least one of its young in tow on my driveway, they dashed under my car and vanished. Straight after that I went in to the garage, I saw a youngster skirting the perimeter of the inside of the garage then run off in the same direction as the others. No phots unfortunately!
 
The cats were very interested in the wood burner when I got in.

IMG_8063.jpeg

This poor chap had fallen down the chimney. Flew off just fine. Can you guess what it is?
 
It could be a female chaffinch, they are a little more delicate than a goldfinch.
I was debating that. But the lack of a larger white flash on the wing tipped me over to greeny. Although I know that’s not always present on juveniles and some individuals.
 
Last edited:
about 6weeks ago our neighbor asked me if i knew anything about the pile of leaves next to his pond -- i already had a theory but checked it out and later put a trail cam next to it. i checked the camera a few days ago: nothing on it but working... .yesterday i planned to pick it up: misfunction (aarrgghh!) ssoo no video of hatching caimans but i saw two hatchlings after hearing their characteristic "meh! meh!"
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE