What wildlife did you spot today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Three ravens in a roadside tree at 6am, something has fallen by the wayside overnight. A solitary sea eagle came very close checking out the greylag geese - always worth looking up when they all take flight. Nothing doing this time but have watched them kill and eat geese in the bay a couple of times. At present a family group of three are making regular appearances. Above the house the resident baby buzzard has been hunting for voles in the paradise we have created for the wee blighters, the voles enjoy nothing more than to chisel through the stems of the young trees, even beneath the guards. Buzzards must be the most noisy of babies and this one vocalises constantly. Also common seals hauled out on a tidal island, not exactly 'basking' since there are constant squalls, so autumnal so soon this year. The portable hide I ordered is scheduled to arrive today so will get it set up when less windy in a spot where we can spy on the red deer that down to the fields in great number. Having counted 63 the other night when coming late off the hill I decided the following evening that I would hide in the lee of a ruin and watch them more closely. I expected them to come cautiously but the majority descended trotting and cantering, stopping at the stock fence, making cat-like leaps, and then settling quickly to graze. Aye - writing it down does make me feel very grateful!
Kirsty . thank you. where are you based that you can observe sea eagles? dale x

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Three ravens in a roadside tree at 6am, something has fallen by the wayside overnight. A solitary sea eagle came very close checking out the greylag geese - always worth looking up when they all take flight. Nothing doing this time but have watched them kill and eat geese in the bay a couple of times. At present a family group of three are making regular appearances. Above the house the resident baby buzzard has been hunting for voles in the paradise we have created for the wee blighters, the voles enjoy nothing more than to chisel through the stems of the young trees, even beneath the guards. Buzzards must be the most noisy of babies and this one vocalises constantly. Also common seals hauled out on a tidal island, not exactly 'basking' since there are constant squalls, so autumnal so soon this year. The portable hide I ordered is scheduled to arrive today so will get it set up when less windy in a spot where we can spy on the red deer that down to the fields in great number. Having counted 63 the other night when coming late off the hill I decided the following evening that I would hide in the lee of a ruin and watch them more closely. I expected them to come cautiously but the majority descended trotting and cantering, stopping at the stock fence, making cat-like leaps, and then settling quickly to graze. Aye - writing it down does make me feel very grateful!

Kirsty

Oct 2, 2017
Hebrides
Hi Dale, you are likely to observe them anywhere on the west of Scotland from Argyll north, particularly on Sky and Mull. Unless of course you are looking for them! There are times when I don't see one for ages but just now they are a daily occurrence and because the weather is mostly very stormy so they can be predicted to be on the wing when it is calm.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Hi Dale, you are likely to observe them anywhere on the west of Scotland from Argyll north, particularly on Sky and Mull. Unless of course you are looking for them! There are times when I don't see one for ages but just now they are a daily occurrence and because the weather is mostly very stormy so they can be predicted to be on the wing when it is calm.
yes. i tried to view them on sky without success. i live in Ireland and whilst they are here they are elusive. it is one of my ambitions to see them. they are the one British bird of prey ive not seen, along with the honey buzzard which is not really seen much anyway.. thanks for the info x.

Reactions: Kirsty

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK
I was enjoying some funemployment, reading in my local park (N. London) and heard a bird call I didn't recognise. The Merlin app identified it as a Peregrine Falcon and to my amazement, there it was, perched on top of the clock tower in the park.
I scurried home to get the binoculars and took some blurry photos through it.
Made a change from the usual Cavapoos and French Bulldogs!

Oh, and a fact - they're the fastest animals on earth, clocked at 242mph and they have special baffles in their nostrils to stop their heads exploding from the air pressure.

20240827_150328.jpg20240827_162154.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE