What vehicle for bushcraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
My MX5 gets me in, around and out of the city and on all my bushcraft jaunts with all my kit in it. So, all you need is any car with carrying capacity. If you want an off roader then consider an early Jeep Cherokee. It's the cheapest decent off roader with 5 doors, if that's what you want. It's a proper off orader too, that drives well onthe road being of a low roof height. It's more like a Volvo estate on stilts, but with a choice of a big lazy 4 litre six petrol or a 2.5 turbo diesel. With the cost of diesel in this rip off country, there is not much difference in fuel economy, so my advice is a 4 litre with lpg conversion. These are autos only but have better 4 wheel drive which can be left in permanent 4x4 on the road, where as the diesel cannot.

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
I have a Landy 90 and would also recommend it as a good 'bushcraft vehicle'. Most of it's benefits have been mentioned already so I won't go over old ground. However, one thing I find really useful that hasn't been mentioned is the fact that you can power wash the inside when it gets really filthy! I used to own a 'nomal' car and always used to find it a pain having to change my boots or trousers whenever I'd got really dirty. Now I just clamber in and hose out the cab when it gets too dirty or smelly!

One thing to note about the 90 though, is it's short boot length. Great for carry boxes but think again if you regularly carry long items. I have to take both wheels off my mountain bike, for example.

Mat

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I too would love to have a landy in the drive (it's big enough I have measured) but going along the lines of mats reasoning it being easier to clean, it's also easier to change out of wet gear in the back of a landy then in the back of Fiesta.

But I will be unlike to ever own one as there is no need for use to have two cars and my wife hates them. All do she is not adverse to one of the smaller SUVs so next year we will have a at least 4WD if not a landy(maybe she might change her mind then). :D

James

leon-1

I am a fan of land rovers (mainly through military service with them), but I have seen people take all kinds of car all over the place including things like the Kia Pride, the Fiat Cinquecento and they were performing as well as some of the 4x4's that were there.

A lot of the time it is the skill of the driver and not the general ability of the vehicle that makes it good in off road situations.

I have seen a Land rover drive up and along areas that they are not supposed to be able to do (once in a challenge against a ferret scout car and it won) and when driven by someone who knows how to handle one properly they are an awesome vehicle, however if it is driven by someone who has not got the experience/skill it may as well be any other vehicle.

If you get a 4x4 try and get onto a course and become a member of a club, you will learn lots that can even be applied in a normal vehicle that will keep you motoring when most others can go no longer.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
I reckon you'd do well with an old Subaru Justy for about £500. Does 40mpg on it's 1.2l 3 cylinder,

It falls into a similar category to the 2cv or the Fiat Panda 4x4 in terms of small, simple and indestructible. It's japanese so it works, it shares parts with Suzuki so it's cheap/easy to get parts. It has selectable locked diff 4x4. It even has a better turning circle than a london cab. I took mine up a rocky, muddy farm track that even a quad was struggling up. Tyres might need to be different for proper mud though...

Pretty small boot though.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
As i don't drive in London town unless you pay me i've got a series 2 lwb for the fun stuff, yes it breaks down on occasion but atleast i can fix it myself instead of dragging it down the garage. BUT the better halfs taking her test in a couple of weeks so i think it'll be going as theres no way shes got the strength to move the steering wheel, it'll be replaced by a Subaru justy if i can find one, seen a few on ebay, old ones go for £500-£800 and newer rounded models at about £1500, very reliable and 4wd, cheap to insure and run, i can see no reason not too!
Why spend £5000 on something thats not used that much? :confused:

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Sickboy said:
As i don't drive in London town unless you pay me i've got a series 2 lwb for the fun stuff, yes it breaks down on occasion but atleast i can fix it myself instead of dragging it down the garage. BUT the better halfs taking her test in a couple of weeks so i think it'll be going as theres no way shes got the strength to move the steering wheel, it'll be replaced by a Subaru justy if i can find one, seen a few on ebay, old ones go for £500-£800 and newer rounded models at about £1500, very reliable and 4wd, cheap to insure and run, i can see no reason not too!
Why spend £5000 on something thats not used that much? :confused:

Go for the old one. The newer ones are a bit less robust. If you can, get an early mk1 in black. Then you can be like Jackie Chan in Cannonball Run!

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Always wondered what car that was, mind i havnt seen the film for over 10yrs, i was led to believe that the new ones used the same running gear with a different engine due to emission laws. Problem being as much as i like the old shape the better half would flip as they do look their age :eek:

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Sickboy said:
Always wondered what car that was, mind i havnt seen the film for over 10yrs, i was led to believe that the new ones used the same running gear with a different engine due to emission laws. Problem being as much as i like the old shape the better half would flip as they do look their age :eek:

The running gear is pretty much the same as far as I know, but the body is more robust - newer regulations on environmentally friendly paint, and they're always working out ways to make panels thinner.... The later ones suffer from some ropey styling. The early ones didn't have styling so it can't be classed as a weakness :rolleyes:

Anyway, retro is cool and you won't worry if you bash the panels - they're all flat so they're easy to beat out :D. Get the five door. Then if you bash the rear quarter you might just have to replace the door skin. Plus, you'll not be banging your head every time you want to get someone/thing on/off the back seat

What do you all reckon? which is coolest? Top, middle or bottom?

subaru_justy_2561.jpg

1990-94-Subaru-Justy-90810051990001.JPG

justy.gif

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
ilovemybed said:
I reckon you'd do well with an old Subaru Justy for about £500. Does 40mpg on it's 1.2l 3 cylinder,

It falls into a similar category to the 2cv or the Fiat Panda 4x4 in terms of small, simple and indestructible. It's japanese so it works, it shares parts with Suzuki so it's cheap/easy to get parts. It has selectable locked diff 4x4. It even has a better turning circle than a london cab. I took mine up a rocky, muddy farm track that even a quad was struggling up. Tyres might need to be different for proper mud though...

Pretty small boot though.

One of the lads I used to work with had a Subaru Sumo four wheel drive van. Absolutely tiny - about the size of a Bedford Rascal. He delighted in in telling tall tales of travelling to inaccessable places while fishing/poaching/generally getting up to illegal countryside mischief.....It was only about four feet wide and could fit down footpaths/cycle trails. Light enough to be manhandled easily if it got stuck. Downside was the price of parts - they always had to be bought new from a main dealer due to the van's rarity. And it's pretty embarassing to be seen in a van resembling Sooty's camper. :)

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Mat said:
I have a Landy 90 and would also recommend it as a good 'bushcraft vehicle'.

One thing to note about the 90 though, is it's short boot length. Great for carry boxes but think again if you regularly carry long items. I have to take both wheels off my mountain bike, for example.

Mat

I swapped my longwheelbase 110 pick up for a shortwheelbase 90 station wagon about six months ago. The Ninety's a lot more manouverable than the One Ten, but you end up towing a trailer full of the stuff you'd fit in the "boot" of the larger 110. This pretty much wipes out the agility advantage. :eek: I used to own a 109" Land Rover with a large insulated box body ( ex RAF ambulance). More room in the back than a good sized semi, but I've seen oil tankers with tighter turning circles. No power steering either. :eek:

Why did I choose a bouncy Defender over a nice comfy Hi Lux or L200? IMO Defenders look better with dents/scratches/bits of interior trim eaten by dogs, while Japanese vehicles look horrible once they've acquired a few battle scars. :)

Jul 14, 2005
London
The Landy 110 County is the ideal vehicle..carries your friends with all associated kit, easy to drive ( and park surprisingly!) excellent fun off road if you know where to go legally, or on off-road club courses. A 90 is just too small for good utilitarian use. ( a 2 seater in effect)

I have a 1989 2.5TD , get 32 mpg on motorway ( 60mph) and about 28 in town. Most country roads are 60 anyway! Have driven 8 hour trips to Scotland on many occasions, and the Landy was the most comfortable to drive, stress free as everyone but lorries are overtaking you, and it only takes me an hour longer than when I used cars!

I can sleep in the back and I'm 6' 2" but far prefer my hammock between 2 trees!

Shop around for one with a solid chassis without too much rust, use waxoyl, and you should pick up one for about £2500 to £3500, with parts a plenty and not expensive. A novice can service easily following a Haynes manual. A good set of rugged All Terrain tyres and you can get anywhere! Insurance for mine is under £400 fully comp, including off-roading, on about 7500 miles a year.

If you want really rugged, ex-army are well maintained, and can take a battering and still look good, but good examples can be pricey. Talk to a land rover club for advice on where to buy , buy a Land Rover Enthusiast magazine, and always get someone who knows landrovers to come along for any test drive before you part with your hard earned...it is easy to fall into the " Land Rover Love at First Sight Syndrome" !

P

Paxo

I own 3 landies. Consider this. My Series 3 SWB is Road Tax free, costs £140 to insure has been made more user freindly with sound proofing and parabolic suspension springs. It is a true bushcraft vehicle, simple to fix in the bush, simple to operate, cheap, tough, excellent off-road ability and goes at a speed that is relaxing to drive, it gives you plenty of time to think fo all the things to explore in the bush. I can tow the horsebox, shove all dirty tack and equipment in the back plus two filthy dogs and not care about knackering the residual value of the vehicle.
I rest my case...

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Jester.JPG

My horse "Jester" gives REALLY good mpg (Miles per grass) and has total right of way over any other vehicle on the road... not great for long distance but can't be beat off road.

I guess a good vehicle for bushcraft isn't always the best to live with day-to-day. :lmao:

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Patriot said:
I have a 110 both for work and home use. With four kids, a wife, and a whole lot of kit to carry we think its ideal. And yes we do bring all the kids along on trips.

KARLOUT.JPG

Welcome to BCUK.That's a fine vehicle. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE