What trout?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Hi all,

I was hoping somebody could tell me what kind of fish this is:
trout.jpg

It is trout, isn`t it?
I unfortunatly only thought of taking pictures after I gutted them, so this is the best I can do.

The reason I ask is because this seems to be what I catch most at a little lake in Norway where I will be going to soon again, and I thought it would be good to know what fish I`m catching and if I can improve my numbers a little by different lures or techniques.

I haven`t fished a lot yet, so tips on catching trout on lures (or of course good ways to cook them) would be appreciated too.

Tank you!

Last edited:

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Thanks Robbi!

Now I can try to find out how to catch a bit more next time. The 3 fish here are the result of 2 hours of fishing by 4 people. I feel that there is room for improvement ;-)

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Nice lake indeed!

This is a part of the lake that I`ll be fishing at.
P7240084.JPG

I am really looking forward to it! I might remember to take decent pics and do an 'out and about'-thread.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I have been using spoon-type lures. Silver with red dots seems to be what they like best this far.

I have no clue how to fly-fish, but it seems to require special equipment that I don`t have ;)

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
No, you do get them on stillwaters. Lovely fish. I fish a small lake with both bfrowns and rainbows and like many members there return any browns to boost the numbers. Wouold definitely eat the ones on the photo though !

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
Definitely broonies those - the spots can be bright red or black or both, while the colour of the skin often reflects the condition of the water they're found in.
And they can definitely be found in stillwaters - as was the one below from my local loch.
Check out the brilliant gold colouring on the lower body on this beauty - quite different from the colouration on your fish.
imag00071.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

There's nothing wrong with going for them with lures, especially if all you want to do is catch as many as you can as quickly as you can.
But in my humble opinion, you can't beat the sport of trying to tempt these wily, wild fish on dry or wet flies - a magical experience.
Having said that, the fish in the picture was actually caught on a damsel nymph, if my memory serves me right.
Finally, I agree with the earlier poster who said they're unlikely to be ferox trout.
Tight lines,
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE