What tree is this

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
With sharply pointed alternate buds it's probably not Alder. The best I can come up with, given the tree shape and bark colour, is Hornbeam. However, the o.p. said it carved nicely, and I know that Hornbeam is bl**dy hard wood.

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
the buds are alternate and look close to beech......it could be a Hornbeam (Carpinus betulus). but its hard to tell. take a photo when out in leaf.

get your self or borrow a Collins tree guide.

best of luck

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Bird Cherry? Scales on buds, long pointy alternate buds. Even the scales on the buds have that tinge of colour like in the other pic.

I was using the site before but didn't realise how many different bits you could click on. So I am a plonker:lmao:

Was I right?

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
cherry bark....

Cherry+Bark.JPG

Rob

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Alchemist - Given your location if it is a Bird Cherry it is likely to be an ornamental cultivar, as the native Bird Cherry generally has a more northerly distribution. The variety Prunus Padus Watereri is often planted as an amenity tree, and when it blossoms is quite spectacular, with long flower spikes (although the scent can be a bit cloying).

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
i was for hornbeam or cherry last night from the buds. Seeing the rest of the picks I'm going to plump for Bird Cherry and only time will tell if I'm correct

bring on the blossom

J*

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
right boys and girls the tree is a Purple pum and i would say a variant sutch as Pissard`s plum( Prunus 'Pissardii' purpurea ) pritty common tree in small parks and gardens.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
When I first read Ray Mears while waiting for a plane to Cyprus I got the feeling that bushcraft was a doddle. Just strip the bark from a Lime tree and bob's your uncle! The more I delve into this hobby, the less I know.

I am going to get pictures of the tree over the weeks and months and ID this tree if it kills me.

On a positive note, I can carve it easily and it will most likely burn when it is seasoned. So at least I still have my hobby. Even if I am an amatuer!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE