What tree is this

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
I am thinking willow or Beech, maybe sweet chestnut. Beech trees keep their leaves though and this hasn't. I have carved a piece and it was very nice which makes me think willow.

K

kedwould

i think you should up load a photo of the tree and bark, i'm not brilliant at trees but not beech and i don't recognise it as any of the common willow, a good tip is to look at the leaf litter surrounding the tree and pick out the different dead leaves and piece them to the surrounding trees.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Its not Beech, the buds on Beech grow out at an angle not close to the stem like in your pic, buds dont look right anyway, more than likely goat willow.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Cheers guys, I may have time to take a pic tommorow. I will chase up Goat willow for now. The wood is very pale and nice to carve.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Chestnut should be pretty easy to spot to be honest, unless the tree is particularly young - as with beech mast making beech easy to spot, there should be millions of old casings spread about from last season.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I stumped..

I need a pic of the tree and a reasonable bu not too close shot of the bark that would help aid ID greatly so would a pic of the grain of the wood.

I trawled my brain and my books and come up short... more info please

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
I stumped..

I need a pic of the tree and a reasonable bu not too close shot of the bark that would help aid ID greatly so would a pic of the grain of the wood.

I trawled my brain and my books and come up short... more info please

The camera is going in my work bag now. The tree is at my kids' nursery and I am taking bits slowly through the weeks. The branches came down in the snow. I will finish work a bit early to get the pics in daylight.

Many thanks everyone.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
ow yes for got about habitat and location so its in some sort of planted garden then? how old are the building/garden etc. that will help too

Beech trees have the dead brown leaves on them in the winter. Or I could be a total plonker!

PS- Your binary is very good.

Sorry Alchemist, I would consider dead leaves as not being kept, especially as using dead/ shed beech leaves is a bushcrafters way of insulating a bed.
The only reason that the tree has leaves is because they have not yet blown or fallen off.

Here is a picture of a beech tree in winter
Beech-Tree-in-winter.jpg

Unless I'm a plonker of course :lmao:

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
not quite young trees do keep there leaves for protection, by cutting a beach hedge they keep their leaves as they think they are still young... neat trick

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
But the leaves are dead, they do not regrow?

The new leaves push off the old ones.
Mainly hedges that do this "holding on"

My old hedge has done it each winter since the 60's and some trees do it too.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
The area of a beech tree closest to the roots (about 2m wide and 2.5m high) is called the "juvenile cone". The last seasons leaves are retained through the winter within this area. Beech hedges are clipped to remain within the juvenile cone. (source - Alan Mitchell. Complete guide to Trees of Britain and Northern Europe).

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
The area of a beech tree closest to the roots (about 2m wide and 2.5m high) is called the "juvenile cone". The last seasons leaves are retained through the winter within this area. Beech hedges are clipped to remain within the juvenile cone. (source - Alan Mitchell. Complete guide to Trees of Britain and Northern Europe).

Excellent info, thank you very much. Some pics to follow.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
OK, here are some pics. When I said my daughter's nursery I meant a place where children develop, not plants! I hope nobody was confused.

The trees is in a school and the area looks fairly wet but it is definately not next to a stream.

I have no pics of the wood yet but it is very pale and soft.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE