What to use for crimping brake cable?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I,ve been trying to use brake cable for a few wee projects,but i cant seem to find anything good enough for crimping it together secure enough.i used small alloy tubes that electricians use (i think) but they were not strong enough and came apart.any ideas or links please,i,ve been to B&Q and Halfords and cant see anything .:confused:

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I,ve been trying to use brake cable for a few wee projects,but i cant seem to find anything good enough for crimping it together secure enough.i used small alloy tubes that electricians use (i think) but they were not strong enough and came apart.any ideas or links please,i,ve been to B&Q and Halfords and cant see anything .:confused:

I've used those wee caps on gear cable.

What about using the anchor bolt that's threaded and cylindrical that's also used on bicycles?

Just a thought, as you can buy them as spares in halfords. Not very neat, a bit chunky too but don't know if they'll "ugly" up your project.

Edited to add, or the wee hanging anchor bolt that holds/supports the straddled brake cable?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I used copper tubing I found in B&Q for the cable I used to replace my zebra billy bails.
I crimped it with a pair of pliers.
Seems nice and strong so far, no signs of failure.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I,m sure at some time i have came across tiny twin stainless tubes which would be great ,but i cannae think where.n

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Are you crimping to prevent the cable ends fraying or crimping to try and join the cables.

If joining can you fold/loop them over and then crimp?

Edited for mongness, sorry just reread your post. if they have to take any strain you'll probably need to loop them back on themselves and crimp the ends parallel.

Muncus

If you can go to your local bike shop I'm sure they'll do it for you. I had a similar problem and ended up taking them into Halfords - they did it for free.

James

lee2205

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2010
guildford
Last edited:

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
I use some slightly larger diameter bowden cable for my rocket car guide wires. They can get pretty well thrashed about with an unstable car. What I've done at the permanently fixed end is this:

SANY0894.jpg

This has proven plenty good enough for the job. You will probably need one of the smaller sizes for brake cable. When you make the connections use a proper ratchet crimper like this one:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/lrgimg_popup.jsp;jsessionid=BUNAFXWTBBCW0CSTHZOSFFY?productId=70036&imageNo=null&ts=50237

(From Screwfix website. Regular customer, no affiliation.)

The scissor type crimpers are a waste of time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE