What to do with my Grandads old tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Some nice tools in that set, I cant' add any more to what the others have said on what to do with them.
I used to have a collection of about 30 wooden planes along with all my other cabinet making and carpentry stuff and some how over the years of moving, living abroad etc i've got very little left and I really regret it now that i'm starting to make things again, if you've got any inclination to make things etc then clean them up and keep the good stuff :D

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Its full sized! Fine tooth saws like that cut a beautiful dovetail or tenon joint :)

+1. I use one regularly. I much prefer it to my modern saws.

The black chisels are old Stanleys, they take a good edge and I think I can see an old Tyzack chisel in there at the back?

I really enjoy using the old boxwood planes, they don't heat up like the metal ones and glide beautifully with a little candle wax on the base. My profiled set still see use at work when it's too much trouble to set the router up for a small piece.

Demonwolf444

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2013
Ripon, North Yorkshire
You can not buy tools like that any more really, if you have any intention of using them i would clean them up and store them safely. If there is stuff you have no idea what they are used for, i would offer them to forum members who would in return for postage and charitable donations or swaps or something.

Demonwolf444

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2013
Ripon, North Yorkshire
Good - Old steel is best, for little under 20 quid on ebay i just picked up a spoke shave, a block plane, and 10 half decent chisels. So you were not missing out on anything by not selling them. Steel is better quality in older tools seems to hold an edge longer.. i'm not saying thats representative of all modern tools but value wise old tools win. Block plane seems to take some skill to use the spoke shave is somewhat easier. All the chisels need profiling sharpening and re handling.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
My son, aged 46, is still using some of the tools that belonged to MY grandfather. I expect my grandson to take them over in his turn.

My pack and travel kit lives in the chest that my grandfather made when he was an apprentice shipwright some time around the end of the 19th century.

Moral of this story: keep them!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE