What to do with logs

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Below is a picture of some logs I picked up when they where trimming a tree nearby

logs.jpg

Thing is what to do with them? They are in a wheelbarrow to give some idea of scale.

I was thinking along the lines of a garden seat? Any ideas would be welcome
( I do have a very small skill set mind)

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Make some wedges and a maul from one log, the practise your splitting skill on the others. Then you glue the ends and put them away for a couple of months or years and one day you will find the perfect use for them :).

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Could wait a month or two but years... sorry but they would end up as firewood and that can not be right.

I accept to many here its a small pile but I would not be able to get any thing like them from the few wooded areas nearby

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
is it cherry wood (on the left) Rustic chairs or benches, firewood, practise with a froe or wedges as sudgested-these are invaluable skills; make a shaving horse or cleaving brake; firewood??; rustic fencing, cleft gate, hurdle (is it chestnut??) tool handles, spoon carving, small bowls or dishes (turned on a pole lathe or hewn) practise hewing a log to get a good face and edge, do a simple pegged frame; make a rustic swing for the bairns, firewood??

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Ahjno,
Yes I did, well for all of 5 seconds I did..

But thanks

mr dazzler, Truth is I am not sure. I know what tree they came from so can have a good look at both my branches and the trunk.

Anyone know of a web site to aid identification??

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Looks like Alder to me, because of the orange colour of the cut ends. You could use this for carving bowls and spoons, as it is soft and cuts easily. But if you work it when green you will end up with orangey brown stained hands (Dale Winton coloured)

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Looks like Alder to me, because of the orange colour of the cut ends. You could use this for carving bowls and spoons, as it is soft and cuts easily. But if you work it when green you will end up with orangey brown stained hands (Dale Winton coloured)
Or if it gets in contact with water it turns orange.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Loverly work.

My daughter was thinking about a bit of bowl carveing. Would still leave a whole load left over

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
You could perhaps innoculate them with mushroom spawn. You can get plugs for both Oyster and ****ake fairly easily...

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Ha - it seems the swear filter is a bit over-zealous. A fungus commonly used in oriental cookery, beginning with "S"... ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE