What to do in Hong Kong

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alex...

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2007
Silverstone
I know this is a tad like asking a kid in a sweetshop , what would he do..but I've never gone to HK so thought I may pick some brains.

I'm starting a new role out there (office based) and wondered if anyone had any tips/tricks etc. Surpised to find that it's 70% rural!

It was suggested that I take my sleeping bag..but an antarctic RE weighs at least 2.5kg, so is probably off the list. In Fact most of the gear I've bought will be a bit OTT. I think I may be able to get away with my 2 inch swiss army knife at a push. Can't see much use for a dewliner out there.

I understand that camping and YHA is quite a good deal. But if anyone has some tricks/treats and tips I would appreciate it.

So to the nuts and bolts. Can anyone recommend what I should take/wear (huge humidity) or failing that an air conditioned bar :cool:

PS..any non "stitch me up" foods I should try...not fussy, and am really looking to try everything.

Thanks

Alex

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
If you are office based and your job involves going to external meetings, have 2 or 3 spare shirts ready in your drawer on a daily basis. The humidity outside of air conditioned offices can be brutal (depending on season), even if you are only walking a few hundred metres. You will hear of "3 shirt days" and 4 shirt days" :)

As for the food...try everything but don't be too inquisitive as to what it is!

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Hey Hong Kong's great. I used to live there. I actually lived in a rural bit in the New Territories and it was amazing. I could walk up the hills and feel like I was in the wilderness. The views and vegetation are stunning. You can also nip over to the mainland on foot or in a car in a jiffy which is also amazing. Lantau island (part of HK was, when I was there, very rural also).

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
I lived in Hong Kong back in the good old days - 1980's.

Don't worry about the humidity - you will acclimatise after a couple of weeks. Offices, cars, shops and flats are air conditioned anyway.

40% of HK is national park land - so huge opportunities for buchrafting/trekking/wild camping and no seriouly bad critters to hurt you. Some big spiders, though - but they are harmless, at least as far as I know.

As Rebels says, Hong Kong is really great. A fun place to live - with a work hard, play hard attitude to life. And also, in my experience, native Hongkongers, i.e. the Chinese that make up 98% of the population, are the friendliest, most helpful and most honest people I have ever come across.

I wish I was you!

Alex...

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2007
Silverstone
Many thanks for the replies guys.

I'll definitely be taking my hiking boots and one set of wet weather gear. Being British, I'm in a quirky way really looking forward to seeing their monsoon weather;)

Cheers for the heads up about the 3 day shirts tip off. Sorry I mean 3 shirts day tip..I suspect if it were the other way around I may lose friends very quickly!

I've heard that the locals wrap up like polar bears at the first sight of winter...given that it's rare to have frost on the ground in the height of winter I wonder what they would make of Wor lasses in Newcastle in December?

Many thanks

Edit ...Hertsboy..I'm hoping that Karma plays it's international part and that for the sake of all the spiders I've rescued from the bath let their HK relatives know not to bite!

Last edited:

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Lucky guy - fabulous place. Been there many times and only really done the urban side of it (suits, shirts, bars, restaurants) but that is great as well for a while. I think it's the most amazing city on earth. Peak Cafe, Stanley, junk trips to the islands. As others have said, great nature and walking as well once you acclimatise.

NS

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
I was over there in the early 90's and it really is/was a great place food is excellent and any of the street noodle bars are worth a try, stanley market is also worth a visit!! everything for sale.
The wet season is weird, it was the first time I'd been out in rain that was the temperature of bath water!!!! There are lots of walks in the park, but one thing I would warn u about - is that when I was there, u sometimes came accross large packs of feral dogs!!! Best avoided at all times.

Jan 5, 2010
Shrewsbury, UK
Great places to walk and climb: Lion Rock, Tai Mo Shan, Lantau Island - the opportunities are incredible.
I spent 4 years there in all, in the late 70's and late 80's. Must have spent 50 or more nights out in the hills and woods.
I also spent rather more than 50 nights in the bars and clubs. The usual jaunt was Chungking Mansion for a few beers and a curry, followed by a march across Nathan Road (Usually on the knees, to the tune of Hi-Ho etc) to Ned Kelly's, Redlips, Beefy's and an endless list of night spots.
Still got the hangover!
By the way, Google Earth is great for a recce.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE