What size is your pack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What size is your pack?

• Total voters

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
What size is your pack? Additionally, what is your pack?

I'm interested in seeing what everyone uses. My main rucksack is a Macpac Glissade and is 75 litres. It sounds big but frankly I seem to manage to fill it, though I know I'm taking too much

My other pack is a daypack which is between 20 and 25 litres. Frankly this is too small to put my sleeping kit so doesn't really count

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
What size is your pack? Additionally, what is your pack?

I'm interested in seeing what everyone uses. My main rucksack is a Macpac Glissade and is 75 litres. It sounds big but frankly I seem to manage to fill it, though I know I'm taking too much

My other pack is a daypack which is between 20 and 25 litres. Frankly this is too small to put my sleeping kit so doesn't really count
my main 'pack' is the boot of my car, so that is about 450 litres :rolleyes: however if I am forced to carry a rucksack, I have a 70 litre one that will carry all that I could ever need (were I to go camping without my family) mostly my bad back precludes me from carrying more that a day-sack with food wet weather gear, a couple of pints of water a couple of tin cups and a hobo stove.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
For one or two nights out in fair weather I usually carrying a 45 litre Airjet pack in olive. Just about big enough for everything I need.
For longer treks and colder climates I have an issue 120l olive bergan.
Day walks and bimbles out in the local woods are catered for with a 25l Karrimor sack I `ve had since school.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I use a sabre 45 with side pockets for everything!

Tend to carry the yolk so I can use the pockets as a seperate enterty.

I also have a snugpack responce pack in the car for those random bimbles!

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
I've a few packs. A 120ltr PLCE bergan with side pouches, a 40ltr canvas pack and a 33ltr highlander. I use the 33ltr most of all, but need the space in the bergan when I plan to be out for more than one night.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Main pack is a battered old Berghaus Cyclops Crusader 2. about 75lt without the side pouches. That takes everything i need for a 3 dayer, for a day out or over night i use a Berghaus Munro with side pouches, about 35 lt plus 5lt each for the side pouches. Had them both for longer than i can remember. They are hard wearing, comfortable, every scrape and rub tells a story.:D

I've also got an imitation Response pak. Basically, it's the same pouch but with a shoulder strap rather than a waist strap. A bit like a cordura possibles pouch if you will. Fire kit, first aid kit, knife compass, bino's and books.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
quick question - whats the difference in waht you pack going for 1 or 3 nights? surely its the same kit, just more food/water and spare clothes....

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
120 litre Bergen (long) is my main pack, but I don't use the side pockets unless I have to, its OK to have all the space, the problem comes at my age when I fill all the space and can't pick the pack up:( :( :(

mazeman

Forager
Jun 7, 2007
Porthmadog, Gwynedd
Got a RocketPak and use the side pockets - but am too long in the back for it so am changing to a Sabre 45 with sides, I like the day pack option. Shame, really, RocketPak's a great bag.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I use a PLCE bergen during the winter or if I take the kids. I need the extra space to cart their kit aswell. On day hikes by myself or with the kids, I tend to favour the LK 35 pack as I can get a blanket and poncho in easily, brew kit, cooking stuff, maybe a snack for the three of us and my camera. I'll carry kit like binos and the like on my person as I will be using them often and at short notice. The response pak is used as a management system for nik naks so that I don't lose or forget something. It either fits on the top under the lid or clips on externally with robust metal military clips from a bum roll.

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
If iam camping overnight I use a shortback PLCE Bergen, loads of space for bulky but not necessarily heavy items. It was an amazing £30 from ebay!:rolleyes:

For a day pack I use either PLCE side pouches on a yoke or my Sungpak Rocketpak without the pouches on. I must admit it is uncomfirtable with a,large load in but without the side pouches it is a hell of a day pack (at the moment it is my shooting grab bag containing bean bag seat, various camo nets and skrim as well as lamp battery and other useful tack.

The PLCE Side Pouches and Yoke get used on everyday dog walks in the Wyre Forest.

Stewey.:D

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
75 litre Sabre does me. I add the side pockets for over 3 days.

A 30 litre does me for overnighters.

I also carry a shoulder bag (gas mask/repirator bag) for odd and sods.

Pablo.

retrohiker

Jul 2, 2005
Ohio, USA
I usually use my LK 35 pack during the spring, summer and fall. I move to a Golite Trek or PLCE Bergan for winter camping. Both are around 75 litres. Looking for olive pockets for the bergan but hard to find over here in the states.

Really sold on the LK35, and would like to find a LK70 for sale. I've only seen them on a couple of swedish web sites and it's difficult to figure out how to pay since my Swedish is non-existant.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
duluthpack rambler for spring and summer

karrimor sabre 75 plus side pockets for autumn and winter

this is for any period of time from a few days to a few weeks... if i'm just out for a day, I'll take a nomad indiana bag.

A

Alex.W

plce side pockets or 35 litre rucksack for days or a 65 for longer stuff.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
quick question - whats the difference in waht you pack going for 1 or 3 nights? surely its the same kit, just more food/water and spare clothes....

And that is why you need more capacity for longer trips. Plus, as Spamel said, if i'm out with The Long Haired Colonel, Jed Jnr and Jack & Alfie the Lab Loonies, i need to cart their stuff around as well. The LHC would probably have JJ on her back and i have everything else on mine. I am considering getting the dog's their own packs so they can cart their own stuff, but i'm concerned that if i put food in their packs, they end up trying to get on each others backs!:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE