What size is your dutch oven?

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Hey Chaps

Just wondering what size dutch ovens everyone has got? I'm looking at getting one and i'm thinking about the 4litre one from ronnie sunshines

What i want to know is what size do you guys have?

Dave

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I got the ally Gsi one, 10" I think. It's just about big enough to do a pot for 3 or 4 of us, I wish I'd gone for the 12" but it was twice the price.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have a 4 litre - its okay. My 8 litre sees far more use though. You can't , for example, roast a chicken in a 4 litre oven - its too "low". If I had to get rid of one, it would be the smaller one.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Mine was 4.5l off fleabay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-5L-DUTC...amping_CookingSupplies_ET&hash=item4843469a49 I paid about £18 inc P&P and am chuffin' DELIGHTED with it... tho it weighs a ton and was a PIA to season.... wish I'd done it on a camp fire to save the awful acrid smell which got me in severe trouble with HWMBO!

Plan is to start small and increase sizes as the repetoire expands until I have the full skyscraper ;)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I have a 4 litre - its okay. My 8 litre sees far more use though. You can't , for example, roast a chicken in a 4 litre oven - its too "low". If I had to get rid of one, it would be the smaller one.

I've 2 the same as BR... the smaller one tends to be used when I'm cooking for just me and the wife.

The larger one is for when I'm out and cooking for groups.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
An 8 Ltr and a 12 ltr for me. You don't have to fill them:

dsc04397b.jpg

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I have a 4ltr from Ronnie's and it can roast a chicken no problems.. just dont expect to do much veg with it.

Maybe a very small chicken. Having used a 4 litre oven recently, I bought an 8 litre just because we struggled to roast the meat in it and had to cut it up to fit it in. The 8 litre is a much better size for pot roasts, particularly roasting larger birds, big chickens, ducks etc and will, hold a vast amount (well 8 litres I suppose) of stew. The 6 litre is the same depth as the 4 litre, but slightly bigger diameter, the 8 litre is the same diameter as the 6 litre, but a bit deeper. The main advantage of the 8 litre is that you can cook a good sized roast in it as well as plenty of veg and also ideal for cooking for groups 6 or more people. It's also more versatile for different cooking techniques, putting stones in the bottom etc. That said, I would also like to get one of the 4 litre ovens as it's a very good size for 2-4 people, especially nice for stews and such. The boxed set that Ronnie's does for about £70 is nice, it includes a 4 litre oven I think, a stand for the lid, skillet, griddle, a lid lifter and obviously the nice wooden box to keep it all in. It's expensive compared to the cost of the oven alone, but you do need something to keep your oily, sooty oven away from everything else, the kit is cheaper than buying all the bits separately (and they are all useful) and you cant buy the box on it's own. Now I have an 8 litre, I'm not sure how motivated I am to get another, but if I were, I think I would buy the 4 litre boxed kit from Ronnies. The 4 litre oven is a perfect size for 2 people providing you are not too ambitious with the size of your roasts.

http://www.ronniesunshines.com/inde...n-bushcraft-camping-western-gift-box-set.html

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I think you'd've been better following the link I sent and saving the money but hey ho! You'll have a brill time learning to use it... I like this guys recipes http://www.dutchovendude.com/dutch-oven-recipes.asp but I understand MartinK9 (proclaimed Midlands King of Camp Cooking by all who've tasted it.... tho he might take offence at the title ;) ) uses another site which is called sommat like camp-cooking.com... I'm not even gonna try to google that... :rolleyes:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I think you'd've been better following the link I sent and saving the money but hey ho! You'll have a brill time learning to use it... I like this guys recipes http://www.dutchovendude.com/dutch-oven-recipes.asp but I understand MartinK9 (proclaimed Midlands King of Camp Cooking by all who've tasted it.... tho he might take offence at the title ;) ) uses another site which is called sommat like camp-cooking.com... I'm not even gonna try to google that... :rolleyes:

Should have googled dutch oven forum Sally then you'd get this link :lmao:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
i just got this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130620712911?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

It's only for cooking for 4-5 people for stews and such

What do you think?

Dave

That'll work, but now you need something to lift the lid without tipping the ashes into your food, something to rest the lid on that stops stuff sticking to the bottom and then dropping into your food, something to brush the ashes off the lid with and something to store it in to stop it mucking up all your other kit. You can skip the last 3 if you want, but you really do need a lid lifter - a claw hammer works in a pinch.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE