What should I buy next?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Personally I'd go and spend a couple of days in the woods. If you found there is something that could have made your time more enjoyable, more comfortable or easier maybe that's the thing to buy next.

I fully appreciate the 'mood' your in too, I've been there many a time.

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Personally I'd go and spend a couple of days in the woods. If you found there is something that could have made your time more enjoyable, more comfortable or easier maybe that's the thing to buy next.

I fully appreciate the 'mood' your in too, I've been there many a time.

My time in the woods is always a happy and enjoyable one... I tend to always take more than I need unless I am going lightweight.
The issue is is how do you know something would of been enjoyable to have if you don't know what it is? If you have never had it and don't know of it how could you know you would use it?

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
ticket to Norway, and save the change for bus fares and food, travel duude!.

I was lucky enough to go to Norway with my last job... took a bunch of journalists on a survival expo with a mountain rescue team...

Would love to go back but the pregnant GF might not like me going to Norway for a week lol

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
ghost-400.png

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I'm hoping someone will suggest something and i'll automatically know that that is what I want!

You never realise that something is exactly what you want until you haven't the wherewithall to pay for it. In the meantime chuck half-a-G at Help for Heroes, or the charity of your choice; you won't regret it.

Trango

Feb 1, 2011
Europe
Full blown Woolpower (ex-Ulfrotte) clothing kit with something in 200, 400 and perhaps even 600 weight. It pretty much changes your entire outdoor experience in the winter. Get the mittens and the hat too. Not related to yada yada yada.

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK

^^^ Now that I like! not too sure I would get the use out of it though...

You never realise that something is exactly what you want until you haven't the wherewithall to pay for it. In the meantime chuck half-a-G at Help for Heroes, or the charity of your choice; you won't regret it.

I give to charity every month from human suffering to medical research, RSPCA to WWF... All covered on that front!

Build a workshop? reckon it could be done for £500 if you put some thought into it?

If not, how bout something for the baby. A set of bushcraft toys maybe? Get them interested young, might be a good investment?

My Mrs already thinks i'm weird enough wandering off into the woods with other strange men for meetings at weekends and coming back all dirty and smelly!!! If i start trying to involve the kids I think she will leave me! ;-)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
You need a new girlfriend then.

Id say do nothing. Your obviously in an itchy wallet mood so its safest not to spend, the experience wont be that good

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
Why not have a maker make you a special knife to your own requirements and needs made from materials that you really love? They produce some stunning work at very reasonable prices; and no I'm not one of them! Lol

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
Ok guys I have an issue....
I am stuck on what to buy myself bushywise next!

Over the years I have built up quite a collection of all things outdoors both bushy and lightweight. I am now stuck what to buy next, so thought I would ask for suggestions from the forum!

I don't really want to go silly and am open for ideas ranging from little things that may make a little b it of difference to big items that could change my bushcraft experience! I am also not rerally looking to go on a course as this is in plans already and I actually want an item/object!

Price range: anything up to £500....

Below i have listed in very general terms what I have already, i'm not going to go into masses of detail with what kit i have as we would be here all week!

Kit I have:
* Axe - handmade Dave Budd tommahawk
* Collection of knives
* crooked knives
* Multitool
* Hammock + Tarp
* underquilt
* sleeping bags
* lightweight tent
* Cast iron cookwear
* Ti cookwear
* Helle Kettle
* several pairs of boots
* masses of clothing
* books
* camp chair
* Archery bow + accesories
* rifle
* fishing gear
* boat
* canoe

Like I said quite a general list but I am stuck on what to buy next but have that burning desire to spend.... so looking for suggestions. Hoping someone might suggest somethig that I have not thought about previously and dismissed.

J

some nightvision ?
or build a 2-3 person canoe

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Man after my own heart. i could open a shop

Tentipi and stove (save up a bit) ?
Ventile jacket (you may have one already) or if you are over 40, then what about Extreme Outdoor Clothing's "Where Eagles Dare" reversible smock ?
Some superb leatherwork from the talented makers on this forum (pouch, belt, sheath, etc) ?
Optics ?
Gransfors splitting axe (can do what a tomahawk can't) ?
M72 compass or similar ?
Handmade bow (eg Dave Folwell, Andy Soars etc) ?
Develop a fetish for pressure stoves, eg Optimus 111 ?

Good for you for spending your cash on something you enjoy
NS

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE