Whats Next??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
Hi, just got a beautiful Jacklore which feels a little like the missing jigsaw piece, now wondering where I go next? Still looking for an Alan Wood Woodlore, but then I'm running out of ideas. Do any of you have any ideas?? Suggestions?? Grail knives??

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Hi, just got a beautiful Jacklore which feels a little like the missing jigsaw piece, now wondering where I go next? Still looking for an Alan Wood Woodlore, but then I'm running out of ideas. Do any of you have any ideas?? Suggestions?? Grail knives??
Depends on what you want? I have a few grail blades, one of which comes to mind is amazing an old oak scout knife, in desert iron wood, but it's so beautiful, I have not used it.

I will share a picture.....then you will understand

Reactions: Coach

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
You could buy a Morakniv Garberg, an Opinel No8 Carbone and a Victorinox Climber and try out if they are less practical then your expensive ones.

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
You could buy a Morakniv Garberg, an Opinel No8 Carbone and a Victorinox Climber and try out if they are less practical then your expensive ones.
I already have a Companion, a Robust, a 510, a 711, and a couple of Bushcraft Blacks, dont like the Garberg. Not a fan of Opinels although I do have a 12f. And I edc a Victorinox Officers Knife which is highly practical due to the scissors and the saw. I can also recommend the Rangergrip79 as an excellent and practical knife. But there is minimal pleasure in the aquisition and ownership of said knives - a custom handmade knife is a thing of beauty, a joy to use and a pleasure to own. Cant say the same for a Mora Garberg.

Reactions: Erbswurst

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Just removed some unnecessarily argumentative posts that seemed intent on derailing the thread. Joining a thread to argue with the OP that they should like what you like and not what they like isn’t okay.
Let’s try to remain on track. Thank you.

So, @Coach, you are working on a collection? Just “bushcraft” knives? Any limitations on steel, handle, grind, tang style?

Alan Wood does a number of nice knives along hunting lines. Can be found on Edge Matters forum.

Since I make knives I don’t really do collecting from other makers, and have kind of passed the point of wanting Grail knives…although I do hanker after something by Nathan Carothers, but not enough to pay the price. I have had some experience with knives and or makers themselves from the listed makers and would rate them all highly. They are all capable of making something that might fit a collection.

Reactions: Broch and Coach

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
A few years ago I came along a little shop in Aurillac where they sell nice folding knives that they make in a small workshop.

Some are a bit more expensive because they are made by the master himself, some are a bit cheaper because made by the employees. Very nice things, but I have enough knives and don't collect them so I didn't buy it although it was a hard decision to leave it.

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
Just removed some unnecessarily argumentative posts that seemed intent on derailing the thread. Joining a thread to argue with the OP that they should like what you like and not what they like isn’t okay.
Let’s try to remain on track. Thank you.

So, @Coach, you are working on a collection? Just “bushcraft” knives? Any limitations on steel, handle, grind, tang style?

Alan Wood does a number of nice knives along hunting lines. Can be found on Edge Matters forum.

Since I make knives I don’t really do collecting from other makers, and have kind of passed the point of wanting Grail knives…although I do hanker after something by Nathan Carothers, but not enough to pay the price. I have had some experience with knives and or makers themselves from the listed makers and would rate them all highly. They are all capable of making something that might fit a collection.
Hi, I just like knives, the more visually attractive the better, the first time I read Ray Mears Bushcraft the photo on pg 19 of the Alan Wood Woodlore got me started/ lusting if you know what I mean. I now have 6 different iterations of Ray Mears knife, 2 Ben Orfords, the Jacklore, a Rob Evans Bushtool, an Arthur Wright, a Custom Adventure Sworn Mountaineer which is beautiful!! , couple of Helles, couple of Condors and then other non 'bushy' stuff like the Spartan Difensa and my Rockstead Higo, All of which I get great pleasure from using, maintaining and Yes just fondling and looking at, Im particularly proud of my SWC Bushcraft which is mint, as new, and my R.M.Wilkinson Sword Bushcraft which sits in hand as if it was measured for me. Sandys knife fits in my collection flawlessly because its a work of art, a labour of love crafted to bushcraft with but Im now running out of ideas to chase. I have a Malanika puukko on order, and a Mors Kochanski Tribute Knife, together with a Mille Cuori. I was hoping for ideas about knives I may have overlooked - that I could lust after!!

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Yes I have seen on a few trips to Northern Countries incredibly nice knives from time to time, some decades ago and can't remember the makers and where I have actually seen them, I guess in Oslo, Stockholm and Helsinki but that may as well have been somewhere else.
I guess most of them didn't leave the countries though, but otherwise I think that such little makers run nowadays a little homepage in the internet.

Isn't there a British Maker who makes decorated knive sheaths too, AS Harding or what?
I have no idea about the quality but they looked very nice.

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
Yes I have seen on a few trips to Northern Countries incredibly nice knives from time to time, some decades ago and can't remember the makers and where I have actually seen them, I guess in Oslo, Stockholm and Helsinki but that may as well have been somewhere else.
I guess most of them didn't leave the countries though, but otherwise I think that such little makers run nowadays a little homepage in the internet.

Isn't there a British Maker who makes decorated knive sheaths too, AS Harding or what?
I have no idea about the quality but they looked very nice.
I have a knife sheath and firesteel holder for my Arthur Wright made by Woodlander leather which is beautiful. Quality and customer service is beyond questioning.

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
If you want a beautiful puuko, a birch bark handled Pekka Tuominen is a work of art. (he has a waiting list)
The Malanika I have on order in CPM 4V is Beautiful in any sense of the word - 8 months waiting. , but I will check out your suggestion. Thank you for your contribution.

Reactions: Billy-o

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I found him now, AS Harding makes knives and sheaths himself:

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
If you want a beautiful puuko, a birch bark handled Pekka Tuominen is a work of art. (he has a waiting list)
Hi just tried to look for him but unfortunately he doesnt seem to have a dedicated website, only a facebook page and I won't entertain Facebook etc. Dont agree to them accessing my personal files. Thats none of their business.

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
I found him now, AS Harding makes knives and sheaths himself:

Thanks for the trouble you've gone to but A. S Harding doesn't really fit my profile. To try and make it clearer, which I.think I should have done from the off (my bad), I guess I'm looking for Icons. Alan Wood Woodlore, SWC, Bushtool etc. Knives of that stature. Spartan, TRC, Malanika etc. Was considering an Extrema Ratio but Rob Evans talked me out of it. Even as I type this I"m beginning to realise I'm looking for the impossible.But thanks for reading this anyway.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
There are so many options if you are willing to look beyond the shores of the UK.

There is stuff at whole new levels, some that makes Woodlores look cheap (although possibly not such great value)

Cruforge and goncalo alves.jpg

Attachments

• bb74finished1.jpg
    bb74finished1.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 11
  • P1091028.jpg
    P1091028.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 11

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
There are so many options if you are willing to look beyond the shores of the UK.

There is stuff at whole new levels, some that makes Woodlores look cheap (although possibly not such great value)

View attachment 76169
Thanks for the response.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE