What should I buy next?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Ok guys I have an issue....
I am stuck on what to buy myself bushywise next!

Over the years I have built up quite a collection of all things outdoors both bushy and lightweight. I am now stuck what to buy next, so thought I would ask for suggestions from the forum!

I don't really want to go silly and am open for ideas ranging from little things that may make a little b it of difference to big items that could change my bushcraft experience! I am also not rerally looking to go on a course as this is in plans already and I actually want an item/object!

Price range: anything up to £500....

Below i have listed in very general terms what I have already, i'm not going to go into masses of detail with what kit i have as we would be here all week!

Kit I have:
* Axe - handmade Dave Budd tommahawk
* Collection of knives
* crooked knives
* Multitool
* Hammock + Tarp
* underquilt
* sleeping bags
* lightweight tent
* Cast iron cookwear
* Ti cookwear
* Helle Kettle
* several pairs of boots
* masses of clothing
* books
* camp chair
* Archery bow + accesories
* rifle
* fishing gear
* boat
* canoe

Like I said quite a general list but I am stuck on what to buy next but have that burning desire to spend.... so looking for suggestions. Hoping someone might suggest somethig that I have not thought about previously and dismissed.

J

Tilia

Forager
Feb 3, 2011
netherlands
Ok guys I have an issue....
I am stuck on what to buy myself bushywise next!

Over the years I have built up quite a collection of all things outdoors both bushy and lightweight. I am now stuck what to buy next, so thought I would ask for suggestions from the forum!

I don't really want to go silly and am open for ideas ranging from little things that may make a little b it of difference to big items that could change my bushcraft experience! I am also not rerally looking to go on a course as this is in plans already and I actually want an item/object!

Price range: anything up to £500....

Below i have listed in very general terms what I have already, i'm not going to go into masses of detail with what kit i have as we would be here all week!

Kit I have:
* Axe - handmade Dave Budd tommahawk
* Collection of knives
* crooked knives
* Multitool
* Hammock + Tarp
* underquilt
* sleeping bags
* lightweight tent
* Cast iron cookwear
* Ti cookwear
* Helle Kettle
* several pairs of boots
* masses of clothing
* books
* camp chair
* Archery bow + accesories
* rifle
* fishing gear
* boat
* canoe

Like I said quite a general list but I am stuck on what to buy next but have that burning desire to spend.... so looking for suggestions. Hoping someone might suggest somethig that I have not thought about previously and dismissed.

J
i dont see a compass, or any other orientation tool, not unimportant imho
maybe a water-filter is wise to

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A book on making your own kit?
Flint and steel set?
Leather pouches to keep it all in?
Shameless self promotion here :)
but these are about the only things you aint got!

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
well if you have to buy something!!

i have convinced myself i need one of the bell tents/ lavus/countless other types of tent that you can have a stove with a flue in.

so yeah. get one of them and then tell me if it was worth it!!

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
as I said the kit listis quite general....

Additionally and to answer questions I have:

* several packs of different sizes
* waterproof packs
* A john fenna firelighting set + extras + leather pouch! (thanks John....)
* More compasses than a camping shop, maps for UK and abroad, map software and GPS navigation handheld
* Sanitising tabs and complete mountain guide first aid kit for expeditions, i also have an MSR miniworks filter but have never used it yet!

Like i said if i list everything I will be here forever but keep suggestions coming as i always think it's interesting about what kit people have or what kit people think other should have or would get themselves etc

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
well if you have to buy something!!

i have convinced myself i need one of the bell tents/ lavus/countless other types of tent that you can have a stove with a flue in.

so yeah. get one of them and then tell me if it was worth it!!

Agree they're great but I would want one with a stove and the prices I've looked at are closer to £1,000 so not within the £500 price range! Although a friend has one and loves it and I've used one before!! So if you are considering it I would say go for it!

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Pay to go on a course, knowledge replaces kit and there is always more to learn. The enjoyment from a learnt skill lasts much longer than a shiny bit of gear.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Pay to go on a course, knowledge replaces kit and there is always more to learn. The enjoyment from a learnt skill lasts much longer than a shiny bit of gear.

This. I agree with Limaed.

You don't have to spend money, you know. Surely you buy what you need. If you don't need anything then...well done!
So maybe spend that £500 on a course and gain some knowledge along with all the kit you have.
Kit IS important to bushcraft, but it seems to me (please, anyone, correct me if I'm wrong) that it is more about the skills you have than the kit. So now you've acquired the kit, see about acquiring the skills.
Sit down and try making something to salve your burning bushcraft desires, rather than just buying more and more crap and things you don't need - that's what mainstream society does - consume consume consume! Rise above that.

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Got a rucksack... got several actually lol

Limaed - I've been learning about bushcraft for over 20 years, have been on courses and intend on going on a lot more, i completely agree when it comes to bushcraft knowledge is power! One man with knowledge and a knife can do a lot more than one man with no knowledge but a lot of kit!

However as I said originally I am in that bushcraft object buying mood.... You know when you want something but you don't know what it is you want! I'm hoping someone will suggest something and i'll automatically know that that is what I want!

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
i would but i have a bigger tent -that cant take a flue- already and i cant justify it to myself. no matter how hard i try!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE