What shape striker / firesteel do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I've got four strikers, these:

545154_3816864950429_598042678_n.jpg
From Andy a member here. this is my pocket go to striker, nice and compact but sparks well.

Copy3.jpg
Part of a F&S kit

100_8346_zps216b2f8b.jpg
100_8308_zps01d2292b.jpg
Two from Wolf Creek Forge, they make the best strikers I've used so far. The Colonial striker is without a doubt the easiest one I've used.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I do like the 'D' shape variety. Postage from the US would probably cost half as much as the striker though!

Cameron, I wonder would a regular wood burner get the steel hot enough to work and temper? I have an old shoemaker's anvil I use for leather work, so that will probably do the job for a striker too.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i have a shark designs one but i kept rapping my nuckles as it only went around 2 fingers so i got one made for my whole hand like a knuckle duster and its brilliant. I think the chaps name was nillis on here hails from lithuania and made me an excellent custom striker which sits in my knife pouch and throws good sparks onto char cloth.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I do like the 'D' shape variety. Postage from the US would probably cost half as much as the striker though!

Cameron, I wonder would a regular wood burner get the steel hot enough to work and temper? I have an old shoemaker's anvil I use for leather work, so that will probably do the job for a striker too.

It got hot enough for the squirrel cooker- the metal went a cherry red. I cocked the temper up as I said but the steel was hot enough, I had a roaring blaze going for about 3 hours so it was embers galore. But I think with the bits of metal you have it's well worth a punt :).

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
The only thoughts I have had about the design of steel strikers came from experimenting with a bit of old file. The striking surface seems to work better if it has a slight curve so that you can hit the flint with a glancing blow. Because the striking action means moving your forearm from the elbow, the radius of the curve should be similar to the distance from your knuckles to your elbow.

Also I found that when first trying to get a spark, having a sharp corner on the lower end of the striking surface increased the chances of just whacking the top of the flint flake.

Z

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Hopefully I'll get time to try forge something soon. I'll be happy enough with whatever shape I can manage for the first try at forging, I think :) With the material I have to work with, I suppose a 'C' or 'D' is the best to attempt.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Like most people, one striker is never enough :)

Here is my collection:

Strikers.jpg

Serpent Fire Steel 1.jpg

Serpent Fire Steel.jpg

The one I use virtually all the time though is the one on the log at the seven 'o clock position. I find that radius of curve is perfect for getting the maximum length of striking surface with one flick. I usually get a spark to take on charcloth first strike.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
A bbq or any metal container with something like this:
[video=youtube;POYB52OUm4c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POYB52OUm4c&list=UURdd L3mkjOvJ3tAtVHpW-XQ&index=4[/video]
Will do the trick, it does for me anyway.

I stopped using charcoal briquettes on the advice of Dave Budd and now use wood ( hard wood ideally) instead and the results are much better, being easier to control and quicker to heat the steel. He also advised not using the hot air gun in favour of a hair dryer but I realised that I could use my workshop vacuum cleaner set on "blow"!, works a treat and uses a lot less power:cool: ( Cheers to Dave;))

If you can get hold of some old 6 or 8mm "long" allen keys, they make a good oval or "tear" shaped striker and you can also flatten them out a bit if you fancy.

If you've got any questions or need any advice, just drop me a pm and I'll help if I can.

good luck

Steve

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Here's my favourite strikers.
100_8308_zps01d2292b.jpg
Colonial striker.

100_8346_zps216b2f8b.jpg
Classic C Striker.

Both are from Wolf Creek Forge and are the easiest to spark strikers I have. I personally like the feel of the Colonial.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I've got the cheapest one from Shark Designs. I planned to buy a more expensive one, but the lady who answered talked me into the cheapest model (!). Very impressed with service and product. Scouts have used it successfully too.
As others have said, however, a piece of suitable steel will do it for you.
All the best.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks everyone. I was messing around with some flint that I got from Man of Tanith and a file and managed to make it work just fine. The file still has life in it yet though, so I'm not going to chop it up just yet.

That colonial striker looks real nice. Maybe I'll try something in that style when I get some time.

Thanks for the offer, Steve. There is an old barbeque out back that I had hoped could be pressed into use. Still havn't got around to having a go at this yet. As with so many of my projects it will probably take a while. For now those hay tines have been shelved since, leather orders are taking up most of my 'free' time... haha.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Shark Tinderbox Combo Fire Striker is an edc for me

I've got a couple of others but that one is a great bit of kit

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE