What Rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Green Dweller Beloved

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2007
Hampshire
I've got some good advice here and just purchased a Nanok -10.

Now I need some advice on Rucksacks.

Basically I'm planning on going into the wilderness, probably the brecon Beacons, for three nights and need to take all my kit with me. I'll be walking a fair bit so need something comfortable.

I reckon I'll need a 70 litre rucksack, maybe a bit bigger.

If I had lots of £, I'd get a Karrimor Sabre 75, but don't.

Any advice appreciate guys.

Does anyone have much experience with Highlander Forces rucksacks at all, or know of something similar, but cheaper than the Sabre 75.

I want it to be green or black or neautral colours. Definetely none of this bright orange malarky!

Thank You

Green Dweller Beloved

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2007
Hampshire
Hello mate, cheers for your help again.
My budget, I dunno really, erm £80 ish
Depends if I think I'm getting a bargain really.
I could go higher, pref lower.
Vague aren't I !

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use the Snugpak Bergan for forign exped work - multi night self sufficient - and have found it bomb proof if not the ultimate in padded comfort. I would cheerfully recomend it to anyone wanting capacity and toughness with a degree of versitility.
For extra capacity the Web-Tex UltiMax is huge but it seems some people have had probs with build quallity (I have not - except with a couple of buckles which Web tex have upped the spec on) and as it is DPM only it is no go for "sensitve" areas of the globe.... I use this a lot in the UK.
John

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
If you've invested in a bulky sleeping bag, you will need a fairly big main compartment. Howabout the Berghaus Vulcan? Secondhand on ebay they tend to go for £50-90. You just need to make sure that you get the right back size if you are short or tall, as they are not adjustable! Main compartment is 80 litres, removable side pockets 10ish each. Very well built, comfortable to carry with large loads.

If you prefer buying new, then Highlander do a vulcan copy, which allegedly is excellent. See http://www.silvermans.co.uk for details. Only £90, instead of £160 for the genuine article.

I have a Vulcan, but am tending towards using my Sabre 45 with pockets, as I have acquired a new down sleeping bag which packs v.small, but you might not get away with it if your sleeping bag is bigger.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I would go for the British Army PLCE short back bergen with removeable side pouches (120lt)(preferably the older olive version), Tough, not fancy but does the job extremely well, oh and it is also designed as a floatation pack if required!!:cool:

All I need to do is buy one for myself!!:rolleyes:

easilyled

Oct 31, 2006
South Coast, UK
Hiker said:
What about a berghaus antaeus 65 in my opinion its a top rucksack and for £75 well worth it

65L is too small for me for 3 days. My sleeping bag doesnt pack down very small though.

I struggled on this one for months but finally found a secondhand Berghaus Vulcan on ebay for £50 and it is AMAZING. It is more like a barn. You'll have to restrict yourself to how much weight you can carry rather than bulk. Its super tough but does weigh in at over 3kg so is the heaviest bit of kit you have.

I think its quite stylish with the side pockets off as an ordinary rucsac.

I looked at the Highlander as well. Probably would have gone for the 88 or 99 if I hadnt finally won the vulcan on ebay.

Peter Pan

Jan 9, 2006
Acton, London
I can strongly recommend the Highlander Forces 66 bag. The material is tough and hard wearing with a sound back and hip support system for comfort when fully loaded. I like the idea of a seperate compartment for the sleeping bag for easy access if required. The 66 bag will easily accommodate a large sleeping bag such as the Endurance -10 which I see is popular with many members on this site. Other features that I like with this bag are the fixed side and rear pouches which I use to hold my water bottle and stainless steel mug, second world war french billy can set (stainless steel - great compact bit of kit I must add), and other odds and ends such as candles, maps, sweets etc. The top lid also has a further pocket which I use for my tarp for quick and easy access. On top of the bags lid is an elasticated draw string which I use to secure my coat when it gets a bit hot when treking and to hold my roll mat in place. The bag itself then offers plenty of room for clothes, cooking equipment and food. I tend to have plenty of space left over depending on length of trip, which I prefer than to have a bag at bursting point that requires unpacking to retrieve something that is at the bottom. I have always wondered why people buy smaller bags such as the Karimor Sabre 45 and then devise ways to strap on their sleeping bag because there is no room or takes it up to much room in their bag, though I guess its horses for courses. My brother has the 99 litre and again no complaints from him. To sum up this is a great bag that performes as a bag should do and at a reasonable price. If I can recall I paid £45 for the 66litre.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Keep an eye on egay for an older Karrimor Jaguar S75.
Mine is still going strong after years of use and abuse.
Built to last and a really good value second hand buy.

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
Greg said:
I would go for the British Army PLCE short back bergen with removeable side pouches (120lt)(preferably the older olive version), Tough, not fancy but does the job extremely well

I'd second that.

Personally I've got the Karrimor Sabre SF, but if I couldn't go for that and just needed practicality over style, then any of the British Army ones will get the job done very well. As they are so common you can pick them up on Fleabay for next to nothing - although you do look like a bit of a t... in DPM...

Agile

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Agile said:
I'd second that.

Personally I've got the Karrimor Sabre SF, but if I couldn't go for that and just needed practicality over style, then any of the British Army ones will get the job done very well. As they are so common you can pick them up on Fleabay for next to nothing - although you do look like a bit of a t... in DPM...

Agile

Just stay away from the crappy turtle pack!!

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
I can recomend the Highlander 88ltr olive green sack I have, fully padded traps and a lumbar pad, very comfortable and capable bit of kit, low price too, i bartered mine at 45 pounds brand new recently.

It holds all my kit with some spare space, and at an average of 30-35 kilos total kit weight, i have no probs with it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE