What not to do

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
So carrying some cotton pads and a can of deodorant is not as effective as a piece of loft insulation and meths......

The mind truely boggles.... if ever there was a reason to include Bushcraft on the national curiculum.

Ogri the trog

I was in the scouts for years and was saddened to see it becoming seen increasingly as "sad" or "naff".

I'm not very old (I'm 25) but I came from the right background and shew an interest in the right places to set me up for a life of enjoying the outdoors.

I'm very sorry to see that to most of these "youths" the closest they get to being outdoors is hanging around outside the local shop in a big group drinking cheap cider. Their idea of camping is a tent from "argos" or "asda" in a back garden and a campfire invariably involves deodorant which later ends up thrown onto said fire for the inevitable explosion.

Saying that, it mostly means we're undisturbed while in our element so it's also something to be grateful for. No-one's to blame really, even if you set up some sort of a group to teach bushcraft to youthes for free, the majority wouldn't bother as it's not seen as the done thing anymore.

Fair play to the lad for trying, and hopefuly he'll learn to be less destructive (because there's no need to be) and he'll learn of better foods than a can of baked beans! He'd do well to join this site (if he hasn't already) and do a lot of reading!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
So carrying some cotton pads and a can of deodorant is not as effective as a piece of loft insulation and meths......

The mind truely boggles.... if ever there was a reason to include Bushcraft on the national curiculum.

Ogri the trog

now this is not directed at you Ogri, or anybody else in particular, but people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

How many threads on BCUK have methods of lighting fires using vaseline, parafin, tampons, rubber tubing and the like?

That kid was more trying to show how amazing he thinks the ferro rods are. The can of deoderant is something that most teenage lads would have with them and if he is thiking about firelighting is likely to also carry the cotton pad coz it's light. Likewise, as he is a scout, they always go out with trangias: meths!

At least he didn't strip a birch tree or use petrol to light the fire! :yikes:

now this is not directed at you Ogri, or anybody else in particular, but people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

How many threads on BCUK have methods of lighting fires using vaseline, parafin, tampons, rubber tubing and the like?

That kid was more trying to show how amazing he thinks the ferro rods are. The can of deoderant is something that most teenage lads would have with them and if he is thiking about firelighting is likely to also carry the cotton pad coz it's light. Likewise, as he is a scout, they always go out with trangias: meths!

Campfires for glue sniffers?

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln

No need for the deodorant or meth's really though is there? I can see what you're saying about the ferro rods but, in my opinion, illustrates the mentality when it comes to lighting fires with deodorant. Most on here would probably have the cotton pad in flames while he was busy spraying, I'm pretty sure I could...

Also, when I was in scouts (not venture scouts) most cooking was either done for us or under supervision on an old gas camping stove, fire lighting was something of a rarety. Even back then, bushcraft fell a poor second to football and trying to keep some of the troop in line. As it happens, I learnt far more from my dad and from books.

I'm not having a go at anyone either, I just feel it's a sad state of affairs, it wouldn't take more than 10 minutes to show either of these lads how to do it properly and I'm sure they'd both be very pleased with themselves. The guy with long hair probably doesn't realise he's doing un-nessesary damage. And the boy with no b.o problems probably doesn't know how readily cotton wool will take a spark - because no-one's ever shown them or they're not in a position to ask.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Youtube can be very hit and miss with informative stuff and plain dross! Anybody who feels the need to peel birch bark off to show somebody how easy it is to gather and then cuts a large slab of bark off for the same thing a moment later needs to ask themselves if they are in the correct position to show others how to do something. Not too sure I'd stir my tin of beans (luxury!) with a scabby old stick with the bark still on either, you never know what has wee'd on it!

;)

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Still he is getting quite a flaming :rant: about it too :D, Notably from YOU Spamel :35: well done that man!

I have to confess I had to stop halfway through, it sad to know that he will be taken as representative of ordinary Bushcrafters.

Andy

Queequeg

Mar 29, 2010
Truro, Cornwall
I was in the scouts for years and was saddened to see it becoming seen increasingly as "sad" or "naff".

I'm not very old (I'm 25) but I came from the right background and shew an interest in the right places to set me up for a life of enjoying the outdoors.

I'm very sorry to see that to most of these "youths" the closest they get to being outdoors is hanging around outside the local shop in a big group drinking cheap cider. Their idea of camping is a tent from "argos" or "asda" in a back garden and a campfire invariably involves deodorant which later ends up thrown onto said fire for the inevitable explosion.

Saying that, it mostly means we're undisturbed while in our element so it's also something to be grateful for. No-one's to blame really, even if you set up some sort of a group to teach bushcraft to youthes for free, the majority wouldn't bother as it's not seen as the done thing anymore.

Fair play to the lad for trying, and hopefuly he'll learn to be less destructive (because there's no need to be) and he'll learn of better foods than a can of baked beans! He'd do well to join this site (if he hasn't already) and do a lot of reading!

No need for the deodorant or meth's really though is there? I can see what you're saying about the ferro rods but, in my opinion, illustrates the mentality when it comes to lighting fires with deodorant. Most on here would probably have the cotton pad in flames while he was busy spraying, I'm pretty sure I could...

Also, when I was in scouts (not venture scouts) most cooking was either done for us or under supervision on an old gas camping stove, fire lighting was something of a rarety. Even back then, bushcraft fell a poor second to football and trying to keep some of the troop in line. As it happens, I learnt far more from my dad and from books.

I'm not having a go at anyone either, I just feel it's a sad state of affairs, it wouldn't take more than 10 minutes to show either of these lads how to do it properly and I'm sure they'd both be very pleased with themselves. The guy with long hair probably doesn't realise he's doing un-nessesary damage. And the boy with no b.o problems probably doesn't know how readily cotton wool will take a spark - because no-one's ever shown them or they're not in a position to ask.

Was in the Cubs/scouts as a kid also but they seemed more interested in playing games and doing meaningless drill than actually show us anything. Never got to learn how to make fire, shelter etc. It's sad when I think back one person had it all shut down because her son was bullied ( we were playing british bulldog). Now all the local kids I grew up with live off a diet of beer and steal. No respect for anything. At least the chap in the first video is trying and he will learn from his mistakes, I don't think he should be persecuted.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Bushcraft For Beginner's Group Buy​

can-opener.jpg

0042568_l.jpg

product-6912684.jpg

The baked beans are light by being a half sized tin, and the Weight Watchers variety!

MrPhil

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2009
East Coast of Kent, UK
...snip....

The idea of cooking anything still in its can was brought up when I was a Scout many moons ago and then we was told about the bad things that would happen to us after eating the contents.

I seem to remember it was something to do with the coatings that was put inside the can to stop the contents from eating it away - probably like the cola and the coin trick.

Was I told right does anyone know?

stretch3144

Feb 3, 2009
North Tawton, Devon
Eating old style compo out of tins never did me any harm - although we were always told not to drink the water due to the zinc coating on the outside of the can tainting the water.
Personally, I never had enough time to reboil the mess tin for a brew so made do with the original water.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE