What material for a poncho?

ThriftyKnight

Sep 29, 2012
Derby
Hi folks! New guy here, first post and a question straight away:

I'm intending to make myself a poncho for cold and wet weather activities. That crisp autumn smell is in the air and I thought it'd be nice to have something poncho-like that packs down small, gives some protection AND feels nice and cosy on a frosty evening.

So what material could I use? I'm aware of the famed Birrus Britannicus and have made something like that before, for re-enactment use.
My material of choice would be wool but I can't find the fabric for an affordable price.

Maybe I'd be better off using some modern fabric, perhaps line it with fleece for a bit of warmth?

What else could I try? Need a bit of help brainstorming...

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Polyurethane coated nylon will be the lightest and most packable. Quick drying too. Its usually listed as coated or waterproof nylon.

Windstopper fleece with a membrane would be good, it'll be practically waterproof and won't need lining.

ThriftyKnight

Sep 29, 2012
Derby
I like the idea of using windstopper fleece. I'm contemplating to use it as a lining and have something a bit more flame retardant and hardwearing on the outside. Something like thinner wool or maybe linen canvas.
Think that would tamper with the waterresistant qualities of the windstopper fleece?
It'd be a bit like wearing a canvas coat over your fleece, but as a poncho...

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Most of the modern ponchos are definitely not fire-friendly!

The old British Army ones seem to be (58pattern?) but not exactly lightweight. Endicotts have them I believe. Maybe use that as your starting point.

ThriftyKnight

Sep 29, 2012
Derby
The old army ones also tend to soak up moisture like a sponge. X..x

Hmm...maybe I'm over engineering things?
Windstopper fleece actually costs the same as good coat weight wool.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Ventile lined with wool?

Earlier in the year I made a windshirt using this combination; it's just staring to come into its own now the weather is a bit cooler

ThriftyKnight

Sep 29, 2012
Derby
Oh, I like Ventile! I couldn't afford it though. =(
Is there a similar fabric that might perform somewhat like it? I have a sample of waterproof canvas from fabricuk.com but it's very stiff...stands up on it's own and you can fold it into a paper aeroplane - and it files! =) So it's great for tents and aviation but probably not for a poncho.

How about ordinary proofed tent canvas? Anyone ever tried it?

ThriftyKnight

Sep 29, 2012
Derby
It would cost about £70 in materials. For that much money I can have the finest wool serge and slather it in lanolin. =)

Hmm...how about waxed cotton, lined with fleece or thin wool for comfort?
I've never worked with it, mind. I imagine it's a bit of a pain to work with on a conventional machine?

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
It wouldn't be a cheap poncho, that's for sure. Proofed cotton gabardine would likely do nicely; depends what degree of waterproofness is required.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Waxed cotton and wool!
Could work?
I mean, I wear an unlined wax coat ( cut the cotten linner out, lost weight AND a damp sweaty layer ) over wool in the woods when wet.
In the old WW11 ruberised canvas ponch/gas cape shape!
Theres a thought!
C.

ThriftyKnight

Sep 29, 2012
Derby
I'm thinking of the sort of waterproofness that heavy and greasy wool would give. That's sort of my benchmark. I used to be able to get my hands on some nice, felted new lambswool, very greasy to the touch, but so waterproof that you could actually gather water in it. I made a cape out of it, for re-enacting purposes, and wore that in a heavy storm. I got a bit damp and the thing took a day to dry out, but I myself was not uncomfortable.
There's just 2 problems with it: it's not practical for anything except sitting in it and walking very slowly. You can't work in it. The other problem? Can't get the fabric anymore. They started blending the stuff with polyester, and I don't like what it does to the cloth. It won't work the same.

So....waxed cotton then? Maybe lined with either light wool or fleece...
I'd prefer wool, for aesthetics. But fleece probably dries out quicker?

ThriftyKnight

Sep 29, 2012
Derby
I'm edging more and more towards some waxed canvas contraption. I reckon it'll be more durable and easier to maintain. Easier to get hold of, too, though now the choice is between purchasing some ready-waxed canvas or simply starting out with a length of tenting canvas, and waxing it myself.

And of course the cosy liner, wool or fleece, depending on whatever bargain I can make.

I'll post a few pics once it's in the making.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE