What makes a good spoon?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
A branch makes a good wooden spoon. I just split a branch lengthwise to make a sort of flat thing, slice off any remaining bark, eat with it, and throw it away.

Sean Hellman

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2009
devon
www.seanhellman.com
The story.
The spoon may be just functional and badly carved but if it has a story then it can be a perfect spoon. I know this is not what you are after Tiley, but it can be an important part.
I wrote a blog about the perfect spoon as I am very interested in design and ergonomics. I am not copying it out here, to much hassle but if you want a read here it is

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The story.
The spoon may be just functional and badly carved but if it has a story then it can be a perfect spoon.

Absolutely! I'm not pursuing the perfect spoon as a dry aesthetic exercise only - the most important part of it is the story that comes with it. A while back, I had two operations on my wrist (complications with the first...) and I have kept - and still use - the first spoon I carved, perhaps a little too soon after being on the slab. It's made of hawthorn and it's not a thing of great beauty but it carries with it the story of my recovery, so it's important, valuable even.

Perfection in spoons is one thing - and, if I'm honest, it IS something that interests me; but character is probably more important.

On the strength of this, over to you: have you carved a spoon with a story behind it that makes it valuable or even perfect?

(Now I'll hunker down and prepare for another barrage of witticisms...!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE