What makes a good spoon?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
There are a number of threads that cover spoons people have made but I was wondering what it is that makes a good spoon? Any thoughts or ideas about the shape, material, design and finish would be great.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
1 - it fits your mouth or, if meant as a server, holds a good helping of grub
2 - it is comfortable to hold and the handle is long enough to avoid messy fingers
3 - it holds food - unless meant as a draining spoon when it NEEDS to leak
4 - it aint poisonous or bad tasting
5 - it is wooden
6 - it looks nice, be it knife cut or sanded finish, with a bowl that is not too thick
7 - it is durable enough to last a good time - keel spoons are stronger than keel-less in most woods (if the spoon is not grown to shape).
I like hardwood, bent handle shape, egg shaped bowl spoons for normal use, round bowls for soup spoons.
All down to personal choice IMHO :)
Some of mine in various woods
Cawl (Welsh soup) spoons
DSCF5715.jpg

Everyday spoons (with shop bought spoon for comparison)
DSCF5814-1.jpg

DSCF5816-1.jpg

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Blimey, I'm going to have to break out the thesaurus for this one! I'll try again: what elements of design, material and manufacture go towards making a 'good' wooden spoon? It is understood that the term 'material' here refers to the tough fibrous substance that makes up the trunk and branches of a tree - otherwise broadly described as 'wood'; the term 'manufacture' refers back to the original meaning of the word - 'made by hand'; 'design' refers to both the drawing that delineates how something is to be made and the style and functionality of the finished articled.

Or perhaps I should just stop barking up this particular tree...

By the way, John, thank you for posting your selection - they're lovely. What is your preferred wood for spoons? I know that you said 'hard' but which type specifically?

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.......I'll try again: what elements of design, material and manufacture go towards making a 'good' wooden spoon? It is understood that the term 'material' here refers to the tough fibrous substance that makes up the trunk and branches of a tree - otherwise broadly described as 'wood'; the term 'manufacture' refers back to the original meaning of the word - 'made by hand'; 'design' refers to both the drawing that delineates how something is to be made and the style and functionality of the finished articled.....

:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

as for an answer to your question, i think john fenna more or less covered it with his first response. it's a bit like "what makes a good knife", everyone's got their own opinion. if it works, it's perfect.

stuart

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Blimey, I'm going to have to break out the thesaurus for this one! I'll try again: what elements of design, material and manufacture go towards making a 'good' wooden spoon? It is understood that the term 'material' here refers to the tough fibrous substance that makes up the trunk and branches of a tree - otherwise broadly described as 'wood'; the term 'manufacture' refers back to the original meaning of the word - 'made by hand'; 'design' refers to both the drawing that delineates how something is to be made and the style and functionality of the finished articled.

Or perhaps I should just stop barking up this particular tree...

By the way, John, thank you for posting your selection - they're lovely. What is your preferred wood for spoons? I know that you said 'hard' but which type specifically?
I have used lots of woods - from Oak from a piece of Victorian furniture that was skipped due to a bit of worm in the back, to sycamore .... but I think my favourites are Beech and Box (both carved seasoned ) and green Hazel ...

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Acts equally well as a stirrer (long enough), server (deep enough), robust enough to survive me and my packing practices with a stabby bit on one end for holding chunks of hot meat...
Photo0714.jpg

Photo0715.jpg

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
A spoon knife ;)

Oh no, not another one...:lmao:

With the greatest respect, the spoon knife wouldn't make the spoon on its own. It needs to be manipulated by a sentient, dextrous being whose intention is to carve something both practical and perhaps aesthetically pleasing. So, based on the rash assumption that this aforementioned implement is indeed in the hands of an interested and enthusiastic, if not especially talented carver, what would constitute a good or pleasing outcome?

Any references to cuts and accidents will see me get out the medical text books - and be warned: I'm not afraid to use 'em!

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
I'm Like john, I prefer an egg shaped bowl, that is not too thick and not too thin. A stem that is not wide but comfortable in the hand. A rounded end that doesnt stab into your palm when hunting that last bit of rabbit around the bowl. and perhaps a slight angle between bowl and handle so that the gravy doesn't slop out down your swannie.
paddle-spoon-1.jpg

paddle-spoon-2.jpg

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I'd agree with John list. That gets the basics out of the way. What makes a great spoon.....that is far more interesting and is best talked about with a collection of spoons made by different talented makers for different purposes. Also good to have a collection of old spoons which have worked long and hard and eventually failed to understand where the inherent week points in any design are. Here is a thread I started in 2008 now with 10 pages of inspiration spoons http://www.bodgers.org.uk/bb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=357&hilit=spoon+photos

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Design ethics and over complications aside - What makes a good spoon?

1 - Does it look like a spoon - Y or N
2 - Does it work like a spoon - Y or N

Answer Y to the above and by default it's a good spoon,

Like the old saying goes, if it looks like a Duck & quacks like a Duck - it's a Duck

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I understand the mantra of "form follows function" but maybe the 'look like a spoon, work like a spoon' is a little simplistic. I have the first spoon I ever carved. It satisfies both those criteria but is horribly ugly and therefore, in my eyes, is not 'good'. There is a creeping need for something that is aesthetically pleasing as well and that, of course, is in the eye of the beholder. Perhaps I should have asked what makes a beautiful spoon - and, if possible, show us what you think fits that bill. That way, the aspect of personal aesthetics, as well as form and function, can be included. Over to you...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Now to my wife this spoon is beautiful ... a love spoon in the Welsh tradition - with my spin on it...
I gave it to her on St Valantines several years ago...
DSCF6002.jpg

DSCF6003.jpg

Poor pics...
the wood is Tulip wood finished with flaxseed oil
To me the spoon is both beautiful (it earned my many Brownie points) and un-beautiful (as it is useless as a functional spoon :)

Tiley

I know exactly what you mean. It has been something bothering me for ages. To a degree it has to look 'right' and until you find or carve it yourself you just don't know. I just finished that 'right' one in sycamore (nice and easy to carve, plenty of it about, no flavour, food safe), well nearly, you finish one and you're looking to the next. Robin gave some good advice about the proportions of the bowl, unfortunately I can't remember exactly what he said but it went along the lines of looking at it in thirds (along its length). The bias should either be toward the first or last third. The bowl should not be too deep if it is for eating and equally as John mentioned it has to at least fit in the mouth of the user!

The one I mention is along the Scandinavian route and has the 'keel' you see on some of Johns, it also uses the natural curve of the branch as much to your advantage as possible; both if these maximise strength. Holding this spoon in my hand I know where I went wrong all those times before... but to know that I had to make it!

There are a few good videos on the Bodgers site at the mo which show some of the old boys carving spoons. Their skill is incredible and I learnt so much about using a knife safely and efficiently by watching those.

So form and function... wabi sabi

Leo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE