What Knots?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Minotaur said:
I stand corrected, the fisherman's bend is a varient on a round turn and two half hitches.

I prefer the constrictor to the clove hitch. It holds better and does not have the slipage problems of the clove hitch.
Yes it is.
Although I think a knot joining two ropes is technicly called a bend.
Another name for the fishermans is the englishmans knot.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Hmm - for joining two lines together of the same size I'd use a zeppelin bend - really easy to remember, incredibly strong and easy to untie.

For different diameter of line I'd use a loop in the end of each - probably an alpine butterfly, or adjustable grip hitches if I wanted to move the join point around.

For tying hammocks to trees I usually use tape, so I just use a few wraps, a hitch and a frost knot for the loop for my hooks - for rope I'd probably do the same but an alpine butterfly for the hook loop. Be interesting to see how something like the falconer's knot is used here.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Wow, what a lot of excitingly named knots there are around.

Minotaur said:
I prefer the constrictor to the clove hitch. It holds better and does not have the slipage problems of the clove hitch.

I tried out the constrictor - that is a good knot. I shall use that one again. I also am getting the hang of the double constrictor.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I have four most used knots. The first is the sheet bend, probably it's alias is the fishermans knot. It is useful for joining dissimilar lines such as throwing a light mooring warp ashore,joined by a sheet bend to the main warp. The second is the round turn and two half hitches. The most important part of this is that it can be undone when under tension which can be a life saver! another is the bowline which can be done in the dark by feel in a short space of time.The loop then has many uses. I'm afraid i do not know any exotics, but would love to learn about them to compare with my most used ones. There is one more, the rolling hitch, used when a line gets jammed, say in a winch, and can take tension to relieve the load... similar to a prusik but not used in the same way. I am not a climber, these are all sail related :D

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
swyn said:
The first is the sheet bend, probably it's alias is the fishermans knot.

A fishermans knot is basically a round turn and two half hitchs.

Sheet bend comes ito its own for what you use it for, joining different sizes of rope etc.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Minotaur said:
A fishermans knot is basically a round turn and two half hitchs.

Sheet bend comes ito its own for what you use it for, joining different sizes of rope etc.
A fishermans bend is a round turn and two half hitches the difference being, on the first half hitch go through the round turn, this holds the round turn open rather than going tight on whatever it is tied around. We were taught it is used on anchors and bouys as it stops wear on the rope.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I tend to make do with a few common climbing knots but have always meant to learn some new ones.
There's a good book on Project Gutenburg covering sailors knots from the simple to the bafflingly complicated.
It also describes hitches and some ingenious ways of terminating multi-strand ropes.

Knots, Splices and Rope Work.
by A. Hyatt Verrill
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/13510

5.10leader

Grooveski said:
I tend to make do with a few common climbing knots but have always meant to learn some new ones.
There's a good book on Project Gutenburg covering sailors knots from the simple to the bafflingly complicated.
It also describes hitches and some ingenious ways of terminating multi-strand ropes.

Knots, Splices and Rope Work.
by A. Hyatt Verrill
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/13510

I feel the same, as a climber most of the knots I know well are climbing related. I guess other members with a particular interest will be particularly familiar with knots relative to their specific discipline.

However, thanks for the link. I have seen fascinating knot boards prepared in the days of sailing ships containing some fantastic cord work. it will be nice to be able to make a half decent attempt at producing decorative knots.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I use the clove hitch a lot. I also use the round turn and two half hitches a lot too. I fluctuate between the prusik and the midshipman's knots depending on whether I am dangling from the end or I am just tensioning a line. I use the prusik for my weight and the midshipman's for my hoochie.

I also do a fair bit of splicing - back splice, eye splice and one for joining two pieces of hawser laid rope. Along with the splices go various whippings.

I like making turks heads and monkey fists for either decoration, throwing lines or covering something to give protection.

Eric

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
This is all Greek to me. Much to my shame, I only know four knots. And one of those is to tie my shoelaces....I read Mors' description of the Jam knot and couldn't make it happen - I must have knot dyslexia or something.

Think I need to get together with some of you guys at the next meet.

So what is the consensus opinion on, say, the six most useful knots for the general outdoorsman?

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
One to tie rope together, Double fishermans
one to tie rope to something, Quick hitch/falconers, or round turn and two half hitches
one to make a loop, Bowline or fig8
one that will pull tight, Clove hitch and/or dolly knot

What jobs have I missed, I know everyone has their favourite knot but if we make a list of jobs it is probably a better start.

directdrive

Forager
Oct 22, 2005
USA
Sheet Bend
Straight Bend
Carrick Bend
Taut Line Hitch
Bowline
Lineman's Loop (I think you guys call this an "Alpine Butterfly")
Double Lineman's Loop
Trucker's Hitch
Clove hitch tied in the bight
Constrictor
Timber hitch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE