What knots?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tinweasle

Jan 14, 2011
Herts, beds, bucks border
Ok I was asked to tie something up the other day and realised it's been a long time since I learned a few knots at scouts, so I'm thinking I should relearn some useful ones, what would you say would be the most important and useful knots to learn?

Cheers

Shaun

bearbait

Bowline; Round Turn And Two Half Hitches; Tug Boat Hitch; Anchor Bend; Constrictor Knot/Double Constrictor Knot; Rolling Hitch/Midshipmans' Hitch; Truckers' Hitch; Clove Hitch; Buntline Hitch are a few good ones IMHO. Depends on what you're trying to do: rig a tarp, tie a fishhook, sail a boat, haul some firewood, hang a violator of the local "law". You tie a rope or cord for stopping (e.g. Figure Eight), to something else (Round Turn And Two Half Hitches, or the Tug Boat Hitch - which won't jam); to itself, e.g. as guy rope (Midshipmans' Hitch); coil and secure your rope (Buntline Hitch); lashing (Truckers' Hitch). For the violator in the above scenarios a Hangmans' Noose is a goody. There are also decorative knots for things such as belts, knife lanyards, and so on.

Take a look at Ashley's Book of Knots - some 3500 knots and lashings or so plus loads of historical background. And a great diversion.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
These are the ones I use the most.

Evenk knot - quick to tie quick release anchoring knot
truckers hitch - tension a line, tarp ridge lines etc.
prusik - locking sliding knot, good for stretching tarp across ridgeline etc.
figure 8 loop - very secure, easy to tie fixed loop
transom - join two sticks at right angles
round turn and two half hitches - anchoring hitch, very secure from all angles
Double sheet bend - joining ropes of different thickness, securing a rope to a tarp corner without eyelets.

Last edited:

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
Most common for me:

Evenk, tautline hitch and slider prussiks - guy-lines, ridgelines, tarp and hammock setup
Clove hitch (and constrictor) - great easy anchor for natural cordage
Figure of 8 - tied on the bight or re-threaded - very useful anchor. Use a double fig 8 quite often too
Bowline - classic anchor
Timber hitch - classic anchor, great for roots and withies
Reef knot and sheet bend - cordage joining
Round turn and 2 half hitches - great anchor, will tie and untie under load
Munter / Italian hitch - great where you need to contol and lock-off loads.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
http://www.animatedknots.com/

i think for starting off with knots, you cannot beat this website, it shows you step by step photos on how to tie all of the big ones listed in the previous responses and its split into categories like climbing, camping, sailing etc.

it also lists the pros and cons of each knot, other applications for them and alternatives....

i have nothing to do with this site but use it as a training aid constantly.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Here are a few...

knotboard.jpg

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE