what knives are better?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ian_glover

Nov 29, 2010
Derbyshire
fixed / sheath knife or a folder?

ive only used a fixed knife but i have a few folders id like to try out.

are there any benifits for either? does one have more uses?

i can imagine that a folder is easier to store in a pocket compared to a fixed blade. but i think a folder may snap closed when under pressure.

thoughts please.
thanks

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
You pretty much have the arguements right. Also add possible discomfort to the folder due to having the gap in the handle where the blade goes. Only a possible as it may not be an issue. Also, if it's a lock knife the chance of it closing are minimal but if it doesn't have a lock, the only time it'll likely close is if using the tip.

Try it out and see which you prefer.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
For bushcraft, a fixed blade is certainly much better than a folder. Safer, stronger and no mechanism that attracts grit and grime.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I much prefer a fixed blade for heavy duty tasks, a folder will always have weak points. But most of what I do needs nothing more than a folder, and excluding things like machetes I'd guess that I use a folder 95% and a fixed blade 5%. Almost all my folders lock. I rarely use one that doesn't, but I carry a tiny non-locking Victorinox folder in a leather belt pouch together with a lighter. I'd hate to be without the Victorinox because it has a pair of scissors as well as a lovely sharp little blade.

When I'm out and about I always carry a folder, and I almost never carry a fixed blade. If I'm going to the woods to work, I'll usually take more than one of both. For play, usually just a folder and a multi-tool.

If from all that you've deduced that I play in the woods more than I work, you'd be right. :)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
My folder of the moment is an Eka 8.

BUT I usually have a sak and leatherman too as well as a fixed blade.

In town it's a sak farmer or explorer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE