What Knife should i get for general bush craft use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2011
England
Hey
I'm just starting to develop an interest in different aspects of bushcraft but i need to figure out what knife I should get. I don't wan't to spend loads but has a good life span.
(also if anyone could give me ideas design for a shelter that doesn't use thatching)
cheers:)

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Hi and welcome
I would normally just say Mora as well but I think.......

You may also want take a look and compare the relatively new boys available now in the UK The Hultafors range http://www.hultafors.co.uk/www/live/gemensam/iframe.aspx?TreeID=23981 either the Craftsmans knife or one which is a bit heavier duty than that and the Moras would be the HEAVY-DUTY KNIFE GK that's getting good reviews for bushcraft use and they can be picked up cheap just do a search for the best price-tip builders suppliers tend to do it cheaper but Amazon is reasonable.
I don't own one and nor do I need one but will probably succumb before the price inevitably goes up; as I suspect will a lot of people at the price

Shelter You just need to get a green tarp and some paracord job done

MrJamieM

May 31, 2011
Bromsgrove (South Birmingham)
I've got a Mora 2000 and i wouldn't change it for the world. Even after using it to split quite thick logs and as an emergency tin opener it keeps a mighty sharp edge. After 3 years of use and i think i've only sharpened it 3 times.

For price to quality ratio they are the best imo.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Mora Companion or Clipper and a good tarp, at least 3m x 3m. That is all you should need for a knife and shelter until you can't sure the desire for a custom blade!

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
i use a condor bushlore henniehaynes sell them for £30 the 2011 model is much beter than the older model as the grind runs to the handle the leather sheath is realy snug to iam loveing mine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE