What knife(knives) do you use bushcrafting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy-o

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
One of these :)

Serratas.png

Aberg-Ingram-Menell.jpg

Ackerman-flat.jpg

Hankala.jpg

kroenlein.jpg

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
The most knife use I have had has been when visiting Sweden and Norway, hiking or canoeing. Knives were used to:
  • clean fish,
  • prep food,
  • cut rope and cord,
  • carve cooking utensils,
  • carve craft projects in the evening,
  • split wood,
  • carve feather sticks for fire lighting,
  • limb poles for shelters and cooking tripods.
A couple of folk tried carving a paddle.

Most camping trips see a blade put to less use, but still needed for food prep, package opening, fire prep, simple utility wood cutting of tent pegs, pot holders and so on.

I agree. And I would say that is a very good “order of use” as well. There are many tasks the knife is used for before heavy wood processing.

It seems it’s fashionable at the moment amongst makers to produce 4mm thick oversized blades. Whilst they do look appealing when smashing apart bits of wood it’s really not a practical skill I’ve found myself doing very often at all.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I agree. And I would say that is a very good “order of use” as well. There are many tasks the knife is used for before heavy wood processing.

It seems it’s fashionable at the moment amongst makers to produce 4mm thick oversized blades. Whilst they do look appealing when smashing apart bits of wood it’s really not a practical skill I’ve found myself doing very often at all.
I agree, if you only have one knife it is better to have a smaller one as a whacking thick spine is more of an impediment than an advantage for most things you are going to use it for.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have a more than large selection - many home made - and I choose the knife for the job (woodcarving, bramble trimming, food prep and (the biggest task) general wood dwelling tasks. My favourites tend to be homemade (reshaped and rehandled blades) or with Dave Budd input (his blade, my handle and leather or his regrind of my adaptation of another blade) - I use very few "commercial" blades that remain unadapted....P8230007.JPG
SRK modified...

Last edited:

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I have a more than large selection - many home made - and I choose the knife for the job (woodcarving, bramble trimming, food prep and (the biggest task) general wood dwelling tasks. My favourites tend to be homemade (reshaped and rehandled blades) or with Dave Budd input (his blade, my handle and leather or his regrind of my adaptation of another blade) - I use very few "commercial" blades that remain unadapted....
I have seen your Coldsteel SRK, and agree it looks nothing like the SRK...;)

@John Fenna you need to post a picture of you modified SRK

Last edited:
Reactions: John Fenna

stonepark

Forager
Jun 28, 2013
Carse of Gowrie
SAK , normally Champion/Huntsman or Outrider depending on home/office or outdoors.

Mora HD or Garberg also on belt for general about or hunting/hiking

Nessmuk, Uk Army Knife (heavily modified) or Martindale Golok depending on how choppy I need to be if bushcrafting but often swap to SF Axe and Katanaboy at that point.

●"little ben" (==the Ben Orford i received last year from a very generous fellow member as a gift) lays at night onder my pillow and at daytime "sits" in a baldric/ shoulder holster across my chest when it's "jungle time" (and as i'm typing right now)
●Leatherman "surge" on my belt
●usually a machete (i'm in central america)
●homemade whittling knife for spoons

these 4 are my most-used blades but i've some more carving knives, a fillet knife and a nata etc. (as a result of my nomadic lifestyle for years...)

StevieE

Nomad
Jul 15, 2021
Bridgend, South Wales
Couple of SAKs including an Alox Farmer. Mora HD and now brand new precipitant of a Joker Bushlord. Plus several other penknives mostly Jack Pyke. Why do we use them? Mostly battening, cutting wood etc but I all think we have some type of fetish for knives on this site

Gabri

Aug 8, 2024
USA
For bushcrafting, I swear by my Mora Companion—it’s sharp, durable, and doesn’t break the bank. If I need something tougher, I pull out my ESEE 5. It’s solid and handles heavy-duty stuff with no problem.

Reactions: Van-Wild

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE