what is your oldest piece of kit that you still use today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I still have the original Army Ration pack tin opener that I got in my 1st ration on excercise... Similar to this but dated 1976

ANS4848.jpg

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
A Petrol stove and a bulldog mess tin set that I purchased 20 years ago, also a 4 season mummy sleeping bag a tent and some other stuff.
All from the same shop, it was an expensive day out.
I also have a broom that's 50 years old, it has only had 4 replacement heads and 5 handles.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
My old ally kettle is getting on for a century old, they don't make 'em like they used to. Has been used as a camping kettle for 4 generations of my family and I swear it makes the tea taste better.

IMAG0314.jpgIMAG0311.jpg

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
A Karrimor Alpiniste 65 Rucksack. Last used last weekend hillwalking. It was bought in 99. Still in perfect working order. Very comfy and your back doesn't touch the rucksac, just hips and shoulder, so less sweaty.

Nick

Last edited:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Another Karrimor - a two-tone green Jaguar 75. 26 years and still going strong. Only surviving bit of kit from my original camping setup I put together at 14. Cost what seemed like a fortune. Worked it off on the pedestal drill in my dads fabrication shop over the course of a summer. Drilled a lot of holes for that bag. :)

DSC02039.jpg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Couple of stoves, 100yrs old, KFS set 1943, 60 year old Vapalux(s), 1960's Coleman's lanterns, 1920's and 1942 morse code keys, army mess tins, other bits and pieces I suppose.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
My old Kent Pattern hatchet,as used at the weekend. Recently dated by an 'axe-collecting freak' as he's known, to around 1875.

However, like Tom Bartlett suggested, the flint in my tinder bag is somewhere between 65000000 and 140000000 years old. Give or take a few million years for diagenesis though.:rolleyes::p

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have a canvas WW2 gas mask bag in great condition which is stamped V1 A MAPLE 1940. Not sure if it is British or USA issue though?

I use this bag weekly and it is the perfect size for odds and sods when I'm out wandering.

All I need now is a floppy hat and whip and I would pass for a tubby Indiana Jones:cool:

Steve.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
iv just relised its not my bottle thats my oldest bit of kit, I use a U.S pup tent in the cold winters that i bought when I was 16 to go to glastonbury with and it was used in ww2 I got it back 1999

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
AK1.jpg

The machete cost me £5 about 10 years ago and it's still going strong even after lots of serious abuse, same as the hand axe..very abused (even lost in the hedges for about a year and still ready for more!

All my old knives are either lost or not being used anymore.

M

McCoy

Mine is a passed down trangia, that must be at least 30 years old if not more, it's in rough shape if I'm honest. Oldes that I bought myself is a Berghaus 75l pack that is 8 years old.

Air Pirate

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2009
Nashville, TN, USA
My mom gave me a box of stuff from her attic. I opened it and found the boy scout canteen that I got 24 years ago. Cleaned it out, cleaned it up, no leaks, and it a good size. I loved that canteen. Holds about two quarts and has a belt clip on the side so I can attach it to my pack. So almost a quarter century old and has re-entered my gear list for woodstime.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Holds about two quarts and has a belt clip on the side so I can attach it to my pack.

Sounds like one of these BSA (Boy Scouts of America) canteens. I often use one; the regular rectangular shape makes them a dream to pack, not least in the side pocket of a rucksack.

BSAcanteen.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE