what is your oldest piece of kit that you still use today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
mine is my osprey bottle which i got when i perchased my first knife the mora clipper about 4yrs ago now. the clipper is broke now and has gone to knife heaven, bless that knife it tought me my first knotches, but the bottle still lives on today ;)

harrisp

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2011
Alfreton, Derbyshire
I occasionally use a knife that belonged to my grandad which is well over 30 years old.
Same as the pic below but only a blade nothing else.

KNIFE-BRITISH-WWII.jpg

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
A 58' pattern water bottle cup that I bought as a cadet 25 years ago, and that was second hand. I did have the bottle to go with it but I used a couple of years ago after a long long spell of storage and didn't sterilise it properly. I became very ill and threw it away, and I now regret that because I now know how to sterilise properly!!!!!

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Clearing out my mum's house recently i found a camping gaz bleuet in the pantry which must be at least 35 years old. Fired it up, it worked fine and has cooked a few camp meals since.

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
don't know what my oldest piece of kit is (it'll be either a stove or an axe i should think) but i was really quite surprised the other week to notice that my bivi bag is dated 1989, 22 years and still no real signs of wear, superb piece of kit

stuart

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've got a couple of plastic mugs and plates which make an appearance sometimes, I can remember using them on our caravan holidays down in Devon when I was about five or six.

I sold my Bulldog billies a couple of years ago but they were from the same era I think.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
The oldest piece of kit I did get myself are my army SAK, my messtins, canteen etc. They date back to 1989.

The oldest piece of kit I use is from 1942 (confirmed), but I have a compass which probably is older than that.
I also have a complete steel BSA messkitset and I have been told that these used to be around in the '30's....

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Ah, if its the oldest piece of kit not necessarily owned for the duration of its life, its my WW2 wool sleeping bag.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My maps!
And a WW2 gas mask bag - but I did not own this from new....
And of course the advice I hand out!

Last edited:

mark

Forager
Dec 26, 2007
Stirlingshire
I've got a ventile jacket that's about 25 years old. Carried out a few minor repairs but still perfectly usable. Was using it at the weekend.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
An O.G. Bukta orienteer 2 man tent bought in 1979 for the princely sum of £75 ( a week's wages at the time) closley followed by a swiss army knife & it's whitby leather belt case bought in 1980.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE