What is your favourite constellation?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
My fav is the plough....They serve a great pint of ale.....:D
It actually would be the plough, great bear, saucepan, ursa major etc, because it was the first one I ever id'ed and its the best one to use to find polaris, so its usefull to know....

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Orion - nice and easy to spot, and means winter's here in the UK! The nebula also looks beautiful through a telescope.

Orion_Nebula_-_Hubble_2006_mosaic_1.jpg

Ursa major is useful through the classic 'pointers', as is cassiopeia. They just don't make me stand there and daydream in the way orion does though

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I hope not
I do like Orion and the plough, but I have my own favourite.
Mine has to be pegasus. I have always been fascinated by mthology, and greek mythology was what really sparked my interest. What child wouldn't be fascinated by a winged horse (hands up who's seen Clash of the Titans and Jason and the Argonauts) One of the things that led to me studying Archaeology at Uni.

On top of that, if you know where to look between the fore legs, there's a little star that's named after my wife. One of my cousin's got it for me as a surprise graduation present and came up with the story that her daughter was doing a school project about constellations to find out what i would name a star if I had the chance. I've got a certificate now that relates to two very special things in my life

And this was my 100th post as well, a special post all round.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I am kind of torn between The Pleiades which are a nice colour and a very young cluster and Orion because its so distinctive.
Oh, chuck The Plough in there for good measure, it shows me the way to the North Star:)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Orion, of course.

But we dont see the stars anymore since the council put in streetlamps

followed by ursa minor, with the pole star, so useful for getting about.

However I have heard that in the southern hemisphere they have constelations of ships and navigational instruments and useful stuff.

Sameold

Nov 2, 2005
Hampshire
I love The Plough and finding Polaris from it. The Seven Sisters are really beautiful and Casiopeia is an old friend... On really dark nights the Milky Way is a joy.

The Romanies say that the way the stars shine can give you a clue to tomorrow's weather; except I can't remember what it is! :)

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Orion - nice and easy to spot, and means winter's here in the UK! The nebula also looks beautiful through a telescope.

Orion_Nebula_-_Hubble_2006_mosaic_1.jpg

Ursa major is useful through the classic 'pointers', as is cassiopeia. They just don't make me stand there and daydream in the way orion does though

You must have one heck of a scope to see the Nebula like that, i can't resolve the nebula to that degree with my 12" scope;) .

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I don't have any favorite, but I'm always most happy to see a constellation which I haven't seen for a while. Now it has been very cloudy the last times, so when there's a clear sky I'll be very glad. Orion sparks my imagination, also the dragon, and the lion, and..

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
Has to be Taurus as it contains the Pleiades (or Seven Sisters) star cluster. Where I live now the night sky is dark (makes a change from west London) and when I’m out and about after dark I sometimes just stop what I’m doing and stare at them. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE